The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Yeah, it’s been stupid-fuck cold (for North Carolina) here (in North Carolina) as of late. I actually had to dig my gloves out of some godforsaken closet the other day. GLOVES. What the hell?

I mean don’t get me wrong. I vastly prefer the weather up north to the weather down here. But up North folk are prepared for it. The insulation in my condo is shit, man. Bedroom is fucking freezing right now no matter what I do to the thermostat.

It’s so cold here (how cold is it!) that I had to shut my windows all the way!

So, I once had to drive cross-country in the middle of January. I’m in Nebraska right after a Blizzard. It’s so damn cold that despite wearing Sorel snow boots and thick wool socks and blasting hot air through my car heaters, my feet are still feeling the cold from outside as I drive through the state.

I decide to sleep at some random motel in the middle of nowhere. I walk into my tiny room and it’s a literal oven/sauna. They had the heat on maximum, and they had it on for days. It’s so damn hot that I had to open the window the entire way for a solid hour before I could bear it. Keep in mind, it’s still snowing outside! And I was coming from California, where I was totally acclimated to warmth.

Things are nice in California. :)

We need to toughen you pussies up, so you survive the coming nuclear winter.
You’ll thank us later.

I’ve been preparing for when my neighborhood becomes Venice. Don’t confuse me.

It’s dumb when meteorologists use such obviously hyped up terms like “BOMB CYCLONE”.

That shit be dumb.

Science is dumb too.

Coldsplosion 2018!

Can we have a sharknado with the coldspolsion?

That sounds like it could be the name of an artisanal cold brew coffee bar!

Snow might reach the Triangle area of NC by about 7PM today.

So of course schools are closing here in Wake County at noon and my gf’s getting off work at the same time, to boot.

I, on the other hand, plan to go walking at 2PM today with a friend and then head back to work till 5. . .

Posted this in Discord the other day for the benefit of a couple of friends of ours who are coming to visit from the UK at the end of the month.

I thought my flight out of NYC would be early enough to miss the effects of the storm but my plane couldn’t de-ice and was forced to de-board everyone.

Still waiting on the airport to see if the flight is delayed or canceled.

We have our first Star Trek cruise sailing tomorrow and we’re getting a lot of calls from folks on the East Coast who are probably not going to make it because of flight cancellations. It’s sad. Most have travel insurance at least.

Wish I was going. I’d like to get out of this 10 degree weather in St. Louis. I’m working a couple in February and March at least.

I’m vacationing in South Florida at the moment, and the amount of massive iguanas I’ve seen is incredible. Just sitting by the intercostal waterways, sunning themselves. They’re huge! I’d hate to be hit by one falling from a tree. And I’m now wondering whether or not I parked my rental car under a potential iguana-bomber palm.

So a crapload of flights out of OIA were cancelled outright this morning. When the passengers asked why, they were told that the planes were iced up. When asked why they didn’t de-ice them, they were told that they didn’t have de-icing equipment. Because it didn’t get that cold in Orlando.

Guess what?

Ask them why they aren’t salting the roads while you are at it.

I’m thinking of doing some raytracing simply to utilize my PC as a space heater. I hear that CPUs are more efficient at generating heat than the average space heater, too.

Or I could play some really poorly optimized video game on max settings. Is it too late to sign up for Star Citizen? @dsmart what is your take on this?