The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

(pic stolen from Twitter)

Overnight snowfall in Beaverton

It was a bit underwhelming.

Few inches in Bothell, doesn’t look too bad out there. Still, I stocked up on groceries on Thursday and don’t plan to leave the house until I have to. Praying for a paid day off on Monday (Federal gov pays us if they shut down the building).

I have got to say the past week has been miserable. I have spent most of my adult life in WY, and while we got far more snow there, it was flat, the wind usually kept the roads dry, and they had lots of sand for when it didn’t.

Living back in WA with lots of hills and where they don’t have the equipment to deal with it hasn’t been fun. I just took a job in downtown Seattle so I take the bus to work. Which is great because I can take a bus from close to my house all the way to Seattle. But I quickly learned buses are not very unreliable once it snows. Monday through Thursday resulted in me standing outside for up to 2 hours a day in 20 degrees or less waiting for buses. My total commute was close to 5 hours on Tuesday and Wednesday.

And the week ahead is supposed to be worse, I am dreading it.

They said about 1pm today we’d get some snow. It’s snowing right now. Let’s see for how long and if it will stick.

Boise has gotten a few inches, but the sun’s already coming out, and the main roads are already dry.

Weed? Is that kid’s slang for broccoli?

It’s the devil’s broccoli.

Hah, I ride a motorcycle year-round (except in icy weather), cold… affects me less than most around here.

Looks like a Pineapple Express could be heading for the West Coast next week. That should be fun.

Just in time to put out those forest fires!

Well, it’s official…we’re a disaster.

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309,7-387-90487-489227--,00.html

Hasn’t really affected me since I was lucky enough to be outside the power outage zone, but a lot of the area has been hit pretty hard.

Come shovel my walk in -47 C with windchill!

No thanks, that’s why I moved away from Thunder Bay.

Me in Ballard yesterday:

I prefer to use a shovel.

What is wrong with you?? 😛

My family decided to make an excursion up the hill and see if the farmer’s market was open, and it was woohoo! We didn’t really get anything but some hot apple cider, that was just the thing. Then we stopped in for lunch at the local pub and headed back home. I took a photo at the top of the hill:

Doesn’t look that bad huh? And it’s not really except as others mentioned, Seattle is really hilly and we don’t have good options for clearing the streets. That road I’m standing next to is closed, there are signs at the base of the hill. Also kids sledding down at obviously unsafe speeds, I want to tell at them like the old man I am. Anyway time to go make a snowman!

We should get another inch this afternoon/evening.

The problem is Monday night. There’s still a lot of variables in play, so it could end up being rain, or a massive amount of snow.

Man, I am jealous of you guys who live in Seattle with your local farmers markets, pubs, and views like that.

Assuming that’s a road under there, that looks terrible, like maybe they only plowed once then didn’t put down any salt, so it’ll all melt during the day to slush then freeze over into seriously dangerous ice.