The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

That was interesting, thank you. Timing kind of sucks, it won’t be bad enough tonight to cancel work tomorrow, but there might be potential for a crappy commute home again.

It’s going to be a long couple of weeks around here.

West Seattle is home to one of the most amazing beer stores in America

The guy responsible sold it and started a new store about 5 minutes from me.

Speaking of the Super Deli Mart

Ha, no no, that’s not plowed. Only main streets get plowed around here. And that’s exactly what’s going to happen - the sun was out a bit earlier and gave us a bit of melt, now it’s all refreezing. Tomorrow will be nuts even if we don’t get more snow - I already got a call from Seattle Public Schools, there’s no school tomorrow. They don’t want to make it worse than it will be.

Have they been using sand anywhere in western WA? When I was kid growing up in Renton in the 80s, they would always sand our big hill ruining our sledding. This is the first real snow I have seen in WA since moving back here 4 years ago, but they haven’t been sanding the roads at all up here in Bothell/Everett (and barely even plowing from what I have seen).

I guess sand is better than nothing, but you really need salt. When that slush freezes it’s going to be bad.

Seattle made a big fuss about not using salt during Snowmageddon 2008 to prevent salt runoff into the bodies of water. And then the city became totally immobalized; and a bus full of people slid down a hill, broke through a barrier, and the front part dangled over I5, threatening to totally go over.

The city switched to salt immediately. The mayor lost re-election later, and Snowmageddon was blamed.

The Northeast believes in a salt the earth policy.

Keeps people safe, kills all the fish.

And rots your car. I have never lived in a place that salts, thankfully. Although @Woolen_Horde said they do here in the NW now, but I haven’t seen it.

Which is why a number of Classic Car collectors do not like getting cars form the East Coast.

We used to use some sort of chemical, now it’s a type of gravel I believe. Even when we don’t get snow, they put it out due to ice.

My work just called, closed tomorrow!

Well we haven’t gotten the snow in the Tualatin valley like Seattle, so I decided to find it. Turns out you go to 1000+ feet and all that rain was instead a good 6-8” of fresh powder

It was a fun climb, though the intensity of the snow as I descended from 3200” to 600” was… occasionally problematic.

Holy crow. Did you at any time wonder if you’d survive? Are there more pix?

I’ll share in the picture thread. But not really, the only trouble I had was the parking lot, it hadn’t been plowed. I knew it was trouble when I went in, one of those as soon as I got 100’ into it I knew would be difficult to turn around. If you keep moving, it’s not too bad. It’s once you stop that getting started again can be hard.

We got another 2-3 inches (and counting) up in the Alderwood area.

Still a lot of variables in play, but Seattle is potentially getting Slushmageddon on Monday evening.

I’ve heard the folks stuck up in Phinneywood are resorting to cannibalism. Or was it cannabis? I forget.

The Great Melt cometh