The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Dang it. That means yardwork truly is early this year and… my pool is already green. I’ve been robbed of a real winter!

Yeah, snow has started falling at my house again.

Definitely feels warmer today. However, while it’s pretty light, it has started snowing again here in Ballard.

That’s expected. But the warm front will move in. We should get a transition to rain later today.

I’ve got water dripping off the roof. It’s starting to melt.

There is a reason we use rock salt and it’s not because we don’t have sand or gravel.

It’s because if you don’t everything shuts down and people die.

Edit: And for a place that almost never gets it the amount that would end up in the water would be next to nothing. Also… Seattle is on the ocean. Oh no, salt. In the ocean. Wait. What’s the origin of rock salt again? From ancient oceans? Hmmm.

Well, the western side is Puget Sound (an arm of the Pacific). But the eastern side is Lake Washington, which is freshwater.

I’d never seen a car rusted so badly that holes rusted out from the bottom of the car until I visited East. At the time, I was told it was due to the salt used on the roads compared to the sprays we used to use here. I thought they used to use a spray because I don’t remember gravel until I was older but I do remember seeing the machines as a teen spraying.

It’s several degrees above freezing but the snow continues to fall. None of it seems to be accumulating, though. I imagine this will all freeze overnight. Yay.

So many crazies in Seattle. Trust me. My wife came from there.

It isn’t the salt getting to the ocean that’s a problem, it’s what happens on its way to the ocean, depositing itself in the earth, killing fish, etc. It’s definitely a problem, but the alternative is, as you said, shutting down until the snow washes away.

It’s sticking in Bothell/Everett. Small flakes, whatever that means.

Yeah, but the amount of salt a place like Seattle uses in a year is basically nothing.
It hardly snows there anyway.

I completely agree, just putting forth the (spurious) arguments people use against salting the roads.

You can always use the beets to mitigate the salt!

https://www.modot.org/sugar-beets

It’s snowing a lot harder and sticking now.

Yeah, been snowing all afternoon near me and the flakes have been growing. My phone says it’s 33 degrees but I don’t think the sky much gives a damn. I’m quite certain I’ll be hearing quite soon from Seattle Public Schools that they will be closed tomorrow.

It’s been snowing pretty hard here in Bothell, and it seems like there’s been close to two inches of accumulation this afternoon.

Makes me really glad I can work from home and have a corner store within walking distance. They’ve been doing a great job of keeping the main roads nearby clear, but it doesn’t matter since there’s no way I could navigate my own street in my car right now.

Power just blinked about 20 minutes ago. Hope that isn’t a sign of things to come for the night.