The Muslim Ban: America Loses Its Mind.

Because it’s just not true!

(He says that with such a charming whine to his voice as well)

I remember when I was a kid and Carlson himself was just a kid on Crossfire, and I think there was some degree of naivete surrounding his stuff.

At this point though, he’s very clearly intentionally disingenuous. He is trying to mislead people in service to political partisanship. He has no intellectual honesty at all anymore.

Hilarious. He’s arguing against educating immigrant children because they consume more than they produce while they are children - which, as the CATO guy points out, a good argument against any American ever having children!

What a joke.

I’m sure the usual suspects saw that segment and cheered him on as he really took it to that liberal immigrant-lover from the CATO Institute.

[quote]WASHINGTON (AP) – Analysts at the Homeland Security Department’s intelligence arm found insufficient evidence that citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries included in President Donald Trump’s travel ban pose a terror threat to the United States.

A draft document obtained by The Associated Press concludes that citizenship is an “unlikely indicator” of terrorism threats to the United States and that few people from the countries Trump listed in his travel ban have carried out attacks or been involved in terrorism-related activities in the U.S. since Syria’s civil war started in 2011.

Trump used terrorism a primary justification when he announced the now court-blocked travel ban in late January.

Homeland Security spokeswoman Gillian Christensen does not dispute the report’s authenticity, but says it was not a final comprehensive review of the government’s intelligence.[/quote]

That’s fascinating. Did someone at DHS not get the memo?

I just returned from quite a long trip overseas where I visited parts of the south Pacific as well as doing some extensive travels throughout SE Asia. Came in through San Francisco this afternoon and security was pretty tight. As an immigrant and POC, I was a little worried coming in even though I’m a citizen. But I wanted to say that every security personnel that I encountered was exceedingly courteous and things were running pretty smoothly.

I can’t say how non-citizens might have been treated as they had us pretty well separated to go through different check points but I will say that the only raised voice I heard was from a fully armored-out uniformed cop yelling at a group of folks to move it along as they gathered just past a security check point.

I felt a definite sense of relief though once I made it through immigration. While I didn’t visit any countries on The List, I did spend a lot of time in a Muslim-majority country as well as Vietnam.

Glad to be home. I spoke with plenty of folks from lots of different countries during my travels and the one question that inevitably came up once it was discovered that I am American was “what the fuck is going on over there”? I shall try to elucidate later but for now I’m going bed.

I recently went out of the country and came back in, but it was from Canada and I’m about the whitest most non-Muslim-looking guy you could imagine. So, dullsville for me. But it’s very clear coming through customs in LA that these are men and women just doing their job. Many of them must be mortified and embarrassed by what the fascist loofa-faced shitgibbon is doing.

On my way back into the US, one of the folks stamping passports was a chick totally rocking a hijab. I wanted to hug her. That probably would have gotten me in trouble, though.

-Tom

[quote=“tomchick, post:755, topic:128236”]
But it’s very clear coming through customs in LA that these are men and women just doing their job.[/quote]

This became increasingly clear to me as well as I made my way through the various checkpoints. While overseas, I tried my best to keep up with current events through various news sources as well as posts here on this forum, particularly since some of this news could affect how I chose to return to my country. And so, many times, I imagined some scenarios I could be faced with. I wondered how confrontational I should act in the event that I felt my Constitutional rights were being violated. In the end, I decided that I would act confidently polite while passing through security.

I greeted all security with a smile and a happy “good morning!” and these pleasantries were returned in the same manner. As I made my way through check point after check point, my greetings became more personal. “Hello, how are you today”? And in each case, the same sort of politeness was returned with enthusiasm.

While traveling and talking to citizens of other countries, there were times when I felt a distinct sense of shame for how some of my fellow countrymen had inflicted Trump upon the world. This shame, for the most part, melted away when I met the men and women who are, in some cases, our first line of defense and stationed at our numerous airports. Now, I don’t think that all security personnel are similarly well behaved. I’m sure there are some bad apples among them. But the ones I personally encountered left me feeling proud and with the understanding that most of these folks are doing an increasingly difficult job to the best of their abilities and, in the end, are just trying to get through the day while serving our country and performing a very serious task.

I’m glad your trip back was uneventful, but can I just say how angry, upset, and shamed it makes me feel that you even had to consider those things?

This is not what our country is supposed to be, goddammit.

“We were just following orders”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/muhammad-ali-jr-speaks-out-on-airport-detainment/ar-AAnxKqA

To be clear, this person holds a US Passport. And whether or not other Americans are held sometimes at checkpoints, they are, I don’t think they are typically asked what religion they follow.

Makes you wish his father were still alive (and free of Parkinson’s) so he could punch someone in the face.

And then he pepper-sprayed the lady trying to help her up. Way to go, man.

Horrible. I count myself lucky that I did not experience anything close to that as I made my way back to my home through customs in SFO. But it is not hard for me to imagine that many others might have.

Anyone else feel any safer? Yeah.

The Ali Jr. story, the old lady pushed down and pepper sprayed, the Australian children’s author treated like a terrorist…and so many other stories coming to light over the past few weeks.

Yeah, America really seems great again, doesn’t it?

I mean, if you’re a racist shitfuck, I’m sure it must.