The Netflix TV Show Thread

I watched the first two episodes of the “Defeated” and I’m fan
"Max McLaughlin is an American cop who arrives in Berlin in the summer of 1946 to help create a police force in the chaotic aftermath of the war.”

I dont’ think I’ve ever seen a show in this particular place. It is not really a police procedural,more about the the struggles of war survivors to deal with the aftermath.

Yeah, that got my attention too. I haven’t watched it yet but it’s on my list.

I’ve been reading the Bernie Gunther books (private eye in Nazi Germany Berlin) and at night listening to Olen Steinhauer’s Bridge of Sighs, which is about a newly minted homicide detective in an unnamed eastern bloc country in the late 40s.

Just finished the first season of The Bureau of Magical Things. It’s definitely made for kids, but I still found it quite enjoyable. I’m disappointed season 2 isn’t available in the U.S. yet.

I’m watching this too, really enjoying it five episodes in. Highly recommended.

It’s those things, and also a dive into the chaotic mind of an American who had helped liberate Dachau, and…(major spoilers I that I can’t even summarize without ruining it). (Disclaimer: I have a personal stake in this subject, as I’m descended from someone who was in that division and saw what this man saw.)

Anyone watched The Chair with Sandra Oh? I suspect that my wife and daughter will like it not so sure I will. We will give it a shot tonight.

I was wrong, my wife didn’t like it either, at least not the first episode. Perhaps this is a show that will find it’s footing.

When I watched the first episodes of The Good Place and Schitt’s Creek I was left cold and after coming back to both months later I enjoyed them.

Somehow I doubt that will be the case here but I will give Sandra the benefit of the doubt and soldier on for an episode or two.

Finished the series, definitely recommend it. I’d also say folks who like Dexter may like this show also.

I finished Brand New Cherry Flavor, and… meh. Some good creepy stuff, but not enough to fill 8 episodes, and the ending is weak.

I am squarely, 110% the demographic for The Chair. Three eps in and I’m enjoying it. It could deal better with the topic of activist students going after a professor who made an insensitive joke, but I’m enjoying the unique setting, the light humor, the morbid daughter, and the cast–Sandra Oh of course, but also Bob Balaban and David Morse.

Also, this was co-written by Amanda Peet, so let’s just say my crush has deepened dramatically.

Started it last night and enjoyed the first two episodes. The story is good and the production values are top-notch.

Damn but this is a gruesome show. Well done, well acted. But a hard thing to watch. I have a visceral reaction to torture.

Archer season 11 is finally up on UK Netflix. Seems they had to wait until the start of the new season. I hate that.

I finally got on the Peaky Blinders train and binged S1-5 over the past month or so. Wow, what an incredible show! If you like stellar writing, master-level performances, and stylish violence drenched in Irish whiskey and set to cracking music, it just doesn’t get any better. Plus, the main theme song is absolutely perfect (man, that bell…).

I wish I had gotten on this one earlier, but at least I shouldn’t have too long a wait until S6.

It’s a spectacular show. Hard to think of a better one in recent years, really.

Just started and finished Post Mortem, an offbeat, genre-blending, Norwegian vampire comedy. Started off pretty strong, but wrapped up a little too quickly for me.

I had read a review that said it “ended sort of abruptly” so I was prepared. I really liked it. Just the right amount of horror and comedy bits. I thought it smartly written as well. While it wasn’t groundbreaking it was an interesting take on vampires that took unexpected turns. It certainly skews more towards horror, but not too scary. Sure hope it gets a second season.

Against my better judgment, I also powered through “Clickbait” that has a premise that was more interesting than its execution. I have no idea why I even started it. I think Zoe Kazan kept me interested. Betty Gabriel who I quickly recognized from Get Out was pretty good as well. If you are bored and have watched everything else, maybe try it. :)

Oh, look, another conversation left to die in a catch-all thread where no one will see it. :(

These threads really are the worst.

-Tom

A “conversation” of like five posts. And I feel oppositely. I see and hear about way more stuff from these threads than I ever would have if they were off in their own threads where I would only venture if I were already watching that show. And probably not then because, turns out, people don’t really have conversations about most of them.

Hmm, I wonder why that is?

-Tom

I’d guess not many people have seen it, and most of those people don’t have much to say about it. Or it could be people are somehow bottling things up inside just because there wasn’t a dedicated thread that they could easily create, I guess. I know which seems more likely to me.