The Netflix TV Show Thread

Unblock is so very much easier than a VPN. Incredibly easy, and pain free. With a VPN, you have to subscribe to one that offers you portals in every Netflix country you want to watch, which is both pricey and a pain in the butt. And using it for media servers like PS4 or Xbone consoles sounds like a nightmare.

Depends on your VPN. Setting aside PS4 and Xbox compatibility, using Tunnelbear on a PC or an app-friendly device is as simple as selecting the exit country from a dropdown menu and pressing OK.

What if you don’t set aside PS4 and Xbox compatibility?

I’ve used Tunnelbear. I’ve used other VPNs. I still use Private Internet Access, which is a biggie in the VPN field.

Please don’t assume that those of us espousing Unblock are speaking from a lack of knowledge or experience with VPNs. We are not doing that.

What we are telling you is this: with Unblock, switching about from 16 different countries with different native Netflix services is easier than with a traditional VPN.

If you need the unique things a VPN can do, then it does not replace a VPN. But for Netflix, and for Netflix specifically (notice the name of the internet service in the original post and thread title?) Unblock does things faster and easier than any VPN currently can.

Then you’re better off using a VPN or other tool that can be set at the router level. I’m just saying that VPNs don’t have to be pricey and a pain in the butt.

Edit: Please note, I’m not trying to knock Unblock.US in any way. From what I understand it’s the best way to handle Netflix switching for consoles, at least if you don’t want the same setting for all your devices.

Yup. VPN is nice, but Unblock-Us (and similar services…the existence of which I discovered this weekend, which surprised me) is easier and faster for doing something as specific as switching regions for simply watching Netflix (or other streaming services). Granted, we’re not talking the difference between inventing a polio vaccine and changing the channel on a remote, but it is easier.

I’m actually telling you it’s easier for switching on a plain old PC, too.

I don’t think that’s what you’re getting.

I’ll challenge you to a race. I’ll take Unblock. You take a VPN. I can switch between the 16 specific countries that offer different versions of Netflix on Unblock. You take a VPN. I’ll have gone 'round the world on Unblock and done every country in a matter of about 5 seconds per each: click country, click update. That’s it. You can do the same with Tunnelbear, and while you’re looking for a server in Luxembourg or waiting for that Danish server you finally found to connect, I’ll have completed the tour.

Um, OK. That still isn’t any less of a “pain in the butt” than the Tunnelbear process - select the country you want from the list, click connect.

But, again, I’m not trying to promote TB over Unblock.US, and obviously not for consoles, which don’t have Tunnelbear apps. I just don’t want people who haven’t tried it to think the VPN process is necessarily complicated.

Right. Unblock doesn’t replace a VPN for people who need or want VPNs. But for the specific purpose of watching Netflix–which is what this thread is about–Unblock is easier, more portable, and faster because from what I can tell, it’s specifically and especially suited to that one purpose.

Just watched Garfunkle and Oates - pretty darned funny. I see it came out in 2014, is there no second season?

A bit late to the party but I’ve been using AdFreeTime for MLB.tv lockouts and it appears to have the same Netflix functionality as Unblock-Us. Definitely going to test it out tonight and see what I’ve been missing.

Just watched Garfunkel and Oates - pretty darned funny. I see it came out in 2014, is there no second season?

Sadly not. I too came to it after it was aired and was eagerly looking forward to more until I googled it.

On a brighter note, kind of, the White Christmas episode of Black Mirror is coming to US Netflix at the end of December (probably Christmas Day, now that I think of it).

Also, and apologies if this has been mentioned before, Bill Murray has a weird new Christmas special available from Friday

That one caught my eye. It’s going to be either pure genius, or an unmitigated disaster. It’s one of those things I can’t foresee as having any middle ground whatsoever.

The Brent Morin (he’s from Undateable is where I know him from) comedy special on Netflix is, so far, quite excellent. Highly recommended.

I don’t know why I am getting something different out of unblock us. Can’t get it to work on anything other than my PC using the Netflix metro app. Can’t get it to work on anything that uses a browser and can’t get it to work with my smart tv.
Living in Nigeria I just use VPNs to get around everything, but, living in Nigeria I need as much internet speed as I can get, and the loss of speed with a VPN is a consistent problem with me (using PIA.) Would love to get unblock working so I don’t lose speed due to a bottleneck in the VPN. Is it possible that unblock just doesn’t work as advertised in specific countries?

It all comes down to the DNS entries. If the device you’re using has either a cached DNS entry, or hard coded DNS (which is the case for Roku’s), you’re going to have to find some way to clear that DNS entry out of the device in question, or at least block it at the router level.

I was browsing Netflix Canada last night and came across Schitt’s Creek. My God, what a fantastic show. I could watch comedy great Catherine O’Hara read a phone book for an hour and still laugh my ass off. It doesn’t hurt that she’s accompanied by the great Eugene Levy and quite a few other fantastically funny actors. Major recommendation for this one!

The Netflix originals have swallowed me up.

Narcos - amazing imagery and story from the columbian drug cartels
Borgia - Not the Showtime one, this one is actually really good if you can get over the accent problem
Marco Polo - Kublai Khan/Marco Polo period piece. Pretty good also.

I will be watching more Netflix originals as they have done a very good job so far.

Technically Borgia isn’t a Netflix original, they just got the exclusive US distribution rights. It was produced by a bunch of European companies and shown first on Sky in Italy.

What the heck would Italians know about the Borgias???

Is the accent problem is “This character is European, give him a British accent”? I can’t stand that shit. It’s nit picky but it’s a pet peeve of mine in movies and shows. Greek guy? British accent. German? Ello Govnah.