The NFL 2018 Season

Yeah, Manning has always been one of those “He won Super Bowls, so that means we have to say he’s good,” quarterbacks. He’s not, and he never was.

I mean, sure, he probably was not a bottom 10-15 quarterback, but even at his absolute peak, would anyone really want him out of the top 5 quarterbacks available at any given time? I know I wouldn’t have.

That’s just not true. Look at his career numbers. He was a very good QB for a long time.

Not according to the link I provided above.

No, he really wasn’t. He struggles to maintain low 60% completion rates, among other things.

He’s mediocre. Not terrible, but certainly not very good.

Eli Mannings major asset is his last name. People seem to keep expecting Peyton-level performance from him, even though he continues to prove he isn’t his brother.

Just his interception rate alone should have washed him out.

Let’s compare the great Eli Manning with another well known QB:

QB1: 4582-7626 (60%), 345-232 TD-Int (1.49 ratio), 11.64 yds/completion, 7.00 yds/attempt
QB2: 1011-1692 (60%), 72-30 TD-Int (2.40 ratio), 12.14 yds/completion, 7.25 yds/attempt

Who would you rather have? One of them is white and has a famous last name. The other has outrushed Manning 2,300 yards to 552 in 71 more attempts (QB1 - 304 rushes, QB2 - 375).

Eli stepped up in the playoffs to transcend his otherwise largely mediocre-to-average career. This is a debate?

According to your link, Dak Prescott is the No. 2 bargain among QB’s. Yikes! Look, I don’t claim greatness for Manning, but he’s not been as bad as suggested here. And as Adam_B notes, he has stepped up in the playoffs. The two Lombardi trophies are testament to that.

That is laughable, @BennyProfane, I must say. Are you holding an Eli-Grudge?

Is that actual cannibal Shia LeBeouf?

I never claimed any such thing . The notion that they won the Super Bowls “in spite on Manning” is what I addressed. He was absolutely instrumental in winning those Super Bowls and in the playoffs to get to those Super Bowls. He was no Trent Dilfer.

EDIT: And there is a middle ground somewhere between a team winning “in spite of” and a top 5 QB. Of course Manning wasn’t great. He was a solid QB through most of his career who did very well in his team’s Super Bowl runs.

Oh…who would you be referencing?

{yawns}…

Sooo 2016…

I think you need this more:

https://www.faskemusic.com/uploads/1/2/3/8/12387959/6084393.jpg

I think we’re saying the same thing.

I just noticed this and I’m not sure it proves your point.

Again, not saying Manning is anything spectacular, but that link shows he is the 41st rated QB of all-time, ahead of Staubach, Dawson, Jurgensen, Aikman, Cunningham, Esiason, Moon, Starr, Tarkenton, Simms, Fouts, Elway.

Grade inflation!

Ok non sarcastically Eli has been a solid, if unspectacular, QB. If you go back to that draft, any team should be comfortable taking him. He is not his brother, but neither is he Ryan Leaf.

@inactive_user nails it, he is an average quarterback who managed to elevate his game at the right time in the playoffs for some memorable years.

Computer nerds, please. We’re all friends here. No need to fight over sportsball.

I mean, Flacco managed to turn into Steve Young for four games to win the Ravens their Super Bowl. That’s an accomplishment that should be recognized and appreciated – he really was out of his mind during that playoff run – but it doesn’t mean he’s not a poor man’s Jeff George most days.

Per pro-football-reference:

Those stats don’t look crazy in the context of 2018, but at the time with that team it was un-freakin-beatable.

OK, can we not do the apples to oranges of comparison with HoF QBs who played in an era where DBs could literally garrote WRs? And QBs left the field with Uniforms that looked like this and it was business as usual?

Just sayin…

My favourite pass from that playoff run.

All the stuff that follows - the lights going out in the Superbowl, Patriots fans putting up retirement posters for Ray Lewis and overtime against Denver all comes courtesy of whatever the fuck Rahim Moore was doing there.

Go back to the same charge and ignore players who played in another era. In fact, just look at the list above Manning at players currently playing, or at least within the last few years. He is listed below several I consider mediocre at best.

And sure, he apparently is an NFL-level quarterback. That is unarguable given that he is in fact playing–starting–for an NFL team. But I consider him at best mediocre. Certainly in the bottom 10 in current QBs. And remember that my criteria was “over-rated.” He gets WAY too much more praise and attention than he deserves given the quality of his play over the years. He absolutely does NOT belong in the Hall of Fame, yet he will get there because he played for two Giants teams who had defenses that won Super Bowls for the team, and he has the Manning name attached to him.