The North Korea Thread

File this under the “who knew that negotiating with North Korea would be so complicated”

More.

So how much did we give them for this shitshow?

We ended training with the South Koreans, which is itself a major concession and makes us less capable in the region.

I liked this response:
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1020813553450692608

We were giving the North Koreans money for recovery of the war dead. That is a policy that pre-dates Trump. I believe the “demanded more money” is related to that.

I’m amazed that anyone thinks actual soldier remains are coming back as apposed to just random dead people.

For the dead we haven’t gotten?

I’ll accept it could have been shitty wording by the writer.

Ahhhh; I believe you’re right

How do they identify the remains?

“Identification of remains already recovered and under U.S. control. Unidentified Korean War remains are located as Unknowns at the NMCP and at DPAA’s Laboratory in Hawaii. Extensive efforts have been on-going to identify these remains using forensic anthropology, odontology, DNA and other scientific methods.”

Dental records, DNA from descendants/family members, etc. It’s actually a really sad issue to work…people just want some closure. And we owe it to them.

I think to gonna stand by my guess that North Korea just ships random bodies back then.

No, they had quite a few positive ID’s from the 90’s recovery. The issue was different remains were commingled in caskets.

I’m scheduled to take a tour of the Hawaii lab in a couple of months. I’ll ask them how they prevent the NK from shipping random bodies. They certainly have a financially incentive.

I guess i could imagine them sending some real ones back, but also doubt they really care that much.

I’m curious about how many positive IDs they had from the 90s recoveries. I worked with a few JFAs back in the day. I know they had some (it’s a slow process) but how many overall would be interesting.

Horrible ghouls that they are; they get paid for “found Americans” as a bonus. Dear leader gives treats and rewards to the starving feudal peasantry for any information on Americans buried in North Korea. God, what a horrible state they are, when you think about it.

The talk question is whether we are giving North Korea money based on how many bodies they send back, because if we are i guarantee a bunch of them are just random dead folks.

I’m fairly sure they’re real US remains.

I also have little doubt they probably have the remains of a bunch of American servicemen in a warehouse somewhere and are trickling them out for cash.

Very happy.