The Orville - Seth MacFarlane takes on Star Trek

Halston Sage’s replacement as security chief:

I can’t say I know much about her. She’s been fairly good in a recurring role on Shameless. She won’t appear until the February 7th episode.

I saw some newer, more recent, and kind of sourced articles saying that the departure is more or less officially permanent, albeit with the usual nods to “but we’ll keep the door open.” That makes me sad :(

Yeah, same.

I found this as well.

If her career does a Denise Crosby, she can return.

Unless, like, Jessica Szohr gets really popular.

Then they can bring Sage back for a couple of episodes as a poorly written half-Krill evil daughter from an alternate dimension.

I mean at least she didn’t get Kamehameha’d by a disagreeable oil slick

Sigh, Alara was my faaaaaaaaavorite. Ah well, I guess I can now focus on my new favorite, the Doctor.

Ahahaha, oh Tasha.

At least they do use her death for some interesting development of Data.

Yes but when I think about Tasha and Data all I can think about is the awkward heavy implication that they boned while high on sexytimes space magic.

Implication? He straight up says they boned multiple times. It’s explicilty spelled out in Measure of a Man :)

Look man if it’s not on-screen it’s not canon okay.

Wait, as an Android without emotions, can Data give consent? I mean, what is consent without emotions? What is sex without emotions. Why do I need to ask these questions.

Way less crying than normal?

I think Data has more than enough agency to give consent. He certainly doesn’t give consent when he’s kidnapped to be a prize in a collection.

I guess.

See, I have always come from the school of thinking that emotions are necessary for agency, at least for humans. Maybe that isn’t the case for androids, who can process information faster.

For humans, fast decisions are based on emotions. Heck, slow decisions at some point rely on emotions, if only to disregard terrible options. In situations where the emotional center of your brain is damaged, decision making is almost impossible because nothing lights up as a good idea. All ideas are equal, because none activate your emotional centers.

But, I guess you could code certain values outside of emotions, and then use a faster processor to go through all or more possible options.

Anyway, fuck Vulcans. Emotions are rationale, bitches.

Everything about this fourth season 2 episode is what I wanted the Orville to be doing. (Well, except having no Alara, that loss is gonna smart for a while.) Hope the writers get the message that this is what they need to produce. And that enough people who bailed after episodes 1/2 give it another chance.

I think that’s true to some extent: emotions are more or less low-resolution canned responses to typical situations from our ancestral environment that serve a “free-floating rationale” (Dennett) or at the very least had such a rationale in our ancestral environment.

And it’s not necessary (for emotions to function in that way) for us to understand rationally what they’re for. (This is part of the idea of the unconscious, especially in its Jungian rescension - also connected to evolutionary psychology. We often find ourselves acting in a particular way without consciously willing it or thinking it through - and the more vehement and feeling-filled our reaction, the more we call it “emotion.”)

Saves energy having to figure out everything anew (the brain is “hot” just like a CPU, figuring things out actually costs lots of energy), and relatively speaking, a few false positives or misses aren’t worth worrying about.

Episode 4 was probably one of the better episodes of Orville I’ve seen yet, better even than many Trek episodes.

Wow, just saw it. What a great episode.

Minor spoilers ahead, don’t read this paragraph until you see the episode. One way in which that was superior to this week’s Star Trek Discovery is how they used the action scenes. In Discovery this week, there’s this fantastic action sequence that’s visually spectacular, but if you were thinking back on it later, you could summarize it by saying “so and so flew through an asteroid field”. In the Orville, the action sequence was pretty low rent Next-Gen feeling action sequence in comparison, but story-wise there was a lot more going on. "So and so is in the cell when the ship is attacked, and we discover a new race that’s hostile to the Krill is attacking the ship. During the attack the forcefield goes down and … " so on and so forth, there’s a lot to absorb during the sequence other than just the spectacle of it. And I find that to be true in a lot of Discovery episodes vs Orville episodes. They’re both good shows, but Discovery designs its action set pieces to be thrilling, while Orville designs them to convey story plot points.

Yeah, same here. I just finished watching and this episode had everything. Captain in mortal danger, check. Action, check. Hot (sorta?) space alien lady, check. Emotional TRUTH, CHECK!

Yes, this episode was really good! Also Michele Boyd (the “tall stupid hot girl” (per the other characters) on the Guild) has a few lines as an extra in this one.

Diego