The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas in Space

Unfortunately not.

On Sunday, I got to the part on Monarch when you follow the road and then zap critters and bandits in alternate sequence. I saved there, and I’m not really sure I’m going to go back to it.The only thing really standing out for me in the game is Parvati unloading her karmic burden on me (and I appreciate the attempt to beat the “OMG WHERE IS TEH NPC ROMANCE PATH” trope to death with a shovel).

It’s just… dry. The minor loot is just too Monty Haul (and I like use maybe 2 types of buff anyway, the armor buff and the health buff), you find all sorts of guns everywhere but they’re all the same, the gotcha beats aren’t that gotcha (um, Deserter Lady, what you use for fertilizer isn’t that big of deal… we are actually voting to make that legal here in the Evergreen state), there just isn’t… I don’t know, discovery like there was in FONV.

The main quest is drier than cheap buffet prime rib, and I would have simply preferred the player to act as Ye Olde Courier, in thrall to no-one or nobody.

To me Outer Worlds feels like a game where the core development is done but it now needs a lot of play testing to refine the game play experience.

This may sound silly but, why there is ammo in this game? Why your weapons even use ammo?

Because they could have infinite shots and the game would play exactly the game. At the end of the first area I have between 800 and 1000 ammo of each of the three types. At this point I have between 1200 and 2000. So for all intents and purposes, it’s like you have infinite ammo. You never have to buy it, so why is it in store?, you never have to think what weapon to use depending on your ammo reserves, you never do interesting gameplay decisions about it.

This kind of unbalanced gameplay element bordering in design oversight is symptomatic to the entire game. This isn’t the first RPG where the progressions eventually breaks the game, but it’s still surprising how easy and how soon happens here.

I watched a speedrun where a guy completed the game in like 12 minutes or something. Turns out all of Monarch is optional.

So I don’t want to watch that considering there are spoilers, but in a non-spoilery way, what did Obsidian have to say? I mean, 12 minutes… is that not a broken game?

Morrowind can be finished in just over 3 minutes. Fallout 1-4 plus New Vegas were completed in under 90 minutes in total. It is far from the experience of a normal, first-time player, though.

Sprats must burn in hellfire.

Forget it, Jake. It’s Speedrun Town.

“The game’s broken” slap
“I gamed the system” slap
“The game’s broken” slap
“Ok, the game’s broken AND I gamed the system!”

Honestly, sprats are the best thing in this game.

Remember the hope when this game was about to release? How Obsidian was going to show Bethesda how to make a real open-world RPG with meaningful quests, choices, and companions?

That didn’t happen.

I am speaking of one, specific, unnecessary side quest. That I am now in. Which I MUST COMPLETE. It’s personal.

Uninstalled this today. There’s just no magic in it.

Was there a basis for presuming it to be open-world? It appears to be more in the KoTOR lineage, no? (I haven’t played it myself, just using my antennae…)

It’s not quite open world, no, but it’s close enough for me to forget that to argue my point. ;)

I feel they were pretty upfront from the beginning and throughout the marketing that it wasn’t open world, and wasn’t huge.

I’m not super impressed with the game, but I liked it well enough and I feel it did what they said it would. I didn’t (and never will for any game) follow all the pre-release press but I heard a couple interviews where they specifically mentioned that it wasn’t open world and every time I heard anything about the game I heard the phrase “time and budget”.

They never claimed this. Its was always known this wouldn’t try and match the open world scale of a Fallout 4.

Fixed it for you.

I expected less ‘quantity’ than an AAA open world, they warned about that. But I didn’t expect less quality, too. I’m not seeing any big, complex quest like some in F:NV, but very much ‘side with A or with B’ quests, the skill checks are implemented in a lazy way, most of the times if you have a dialog with a skill on the side you click on it, no need to read what it says, and even what skill is checked is simplistic, lots of times the game ask you a social skill of level X, and it doesn’t matter what it is, if intimidate, lie, persuade, making them interchangeable.