The Playstation 4

Well how about that. Googling got me to a different HD upgrade page.

Not that I had a FAT32 external USB drive with ~400gb lying around anyway. Ideally, you could ust hook up your old drive, but that doesn’t seem to be a target for Sony.

It begins.

This isn’t a jailbreak and the hypervisor remains intact. Reports are that an entire PS4, including games and firmware, is essentially cloned onto a second machine. So if both of them go online, it should be a simple matter for sony to say “hey, there are two identical machines including secret keys” and ban them both.

Yeah, it’s extremely limited and requires pretty sophisticated technical aptitude to pull off. Not the kind of thing that can spread that widely. You pay hundreds of dollars to get 10 games and a system that can’t go online or play anything else. It doesn’t help in the running of unsigned code at all.

I haven’t seen how difficult it is to pull off-- if you could download a 500GB image off the internet and flash it yourself with a raspberry pi, as some reports seem to suggest, that would still be a problem. Online is obviously out forever, though.

Well, you need to take apart your PS4, have a raspberry pi, know how to interface it with the NAND on the PS4 mainboard, know how to get the right software running on the pi and have access to the 500GB image. As of now the knowledge is being held by shops who don’t want it public because they are selling the service for profit.

If it’s just a matter of opening the PS4 and hooking up a few wires, well, I did that with my original xbox to run XBMP. If you need to desolder and reprogram chips, it will remain a shop-only matter. The software and images will be available soon enough.

Well, it’s a matter of risk versus utility. Are people willing to risk breaking a $400 piece of hardware just to play 10 games they didn’t pay for? It’s not a hack that lets you play burned games, dumped ISOs or run any homebrew. It’s just whatever games were on the donor PS4’s image and you have to stay offline.

You can always download new images and do it again. People are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to steal stuff. If there’s a real risk of breaking the PS4, perhaps not. Depends on how challenging it is to do.

Well, the benefits of doing it with the original XBOX/PS3 outweighed the downsides.

As I do not have a PS4 I am unsure as to how ‘restrictive’ the user experience is, but at least when it came to the PS3 there were a lot more benefits than downsides to running custom firmware.

That a small number of people will probably use a ‘unlocked’ console to eventually go MP with cheats in their CODs is obviously a downside - but outside if that I cant think of anything.

Looking forward to see what they manage to pull off with unlocked PS4s/homebrew.

FYI… Best Buy will have one year PS+ memberships for $40 ($10 off) starting 6/14. Mine expires this weekend, so perfect timing.

Just installed my Nyko Data Bank. I have a 4TB SSHD now. It’s fast but boy was it a painful and tedious process to get everything migrated and re-setup. The short of it is NEVER NEVER EVER use the backup/restore functionality in firmware 2.50 because it’s broken all to hell.

Bummer! How’s the backup/restore broken?

When I did my upgrade to 1tb it didn’t exist yet so was all manual anyways.

Diego

• Most of my games were corrupt and couldn’t start. Deleting and re-downloading the game would cause CE-38612-0 error and would prevent any game from starting.
  • Non responsive controls
  • Putting the ps4 into sleep mode would crash it.
  • No amount of restarting, unplugging, or database rebuilding would help.
  • Tried turning off internet connection which didn’t help.

I also lost P.T. in the process. It lets you select it to re-download but then it just gives an error. Oh well.

Has anyone installed an SSD into their PS4? Does it speed up loading times noticeably? Specifically with Witcher 3, which has almost unbearably long load times.

I believe Digital Foundry and others tested SSDs and Hybrid drives when the PS4 launched. It was about what you’d expect IIRC. Faster with SSD and about half way with hybrid drives.

Here is the link; http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps4-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

It turns out it didn’t improve load times much for most games back then. But Thief Level One really benefitted from the SSD. So maybe Witcher 3 will also?

Wow. That sounds bad. I was complaining about how long it took me by hand, but I guess I should be glad.

Diego

Yeah. I’m going to stop feeling like I screwed up by having to reinstall & redownload my stuff and just be glad the HD swap was done without issues.

So I did some more research and reading. Apparently firmware 2.50 doesn’t play nice with hard drives > 2TB. So yeah Nyko is recommending you use drives 2TB or smaller which kind of defeats the entire point of the data bank. Apparently the enclosure is fine. It’s the sony OS that gets unstable with these larger hard drives. Every amazon review on the data tank basically says the same thing. For me after re-downloading all my games I noticed I could no longer sleep the ps4. It would always crash and do a repair on power up. So for now after days of messing around with this crap I swapped back to my 1.5TB internal drive. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth returning the Nyko data bank or keep my fingers crossed that this gets resolved in a future ps4 firmware. It’s possible that the back/restore works fine if the drive you are restoring to is <= 2TB.

So for now I would stay FAR AWAY from the Nyko Data Tank.

That’s even worse. Hopefully your old drive still has the data and you can swap it back in and move along.

Yeah, it appears to be useless – the money you’d save going with a 3.5" 2TB drive, you’d spend on the aftermarket enclosure. 2TB 2.5" drives are not plentiful yet, but they are reasonably affordable. I paid $80 for mine.