The Playstation 4

What your favorite JRPGs for PS4? I’ve been in the mood for one recently and also just got myself a PS4 (for being especially nice this year).

Final Fantasy 15. There aren’t really any other decent ones, until Persona 5 arrives.

If you want JRPGs, get a 3DS. :)

I’ve been hearing great things about Disgea 5, and while I feel like I would enjoy it I just don’t ever click with the “zany antics” of the game’s tone. YMMV. Most folks agree it’s one of the stronger RPG/Strategy games on PS4 though, so I put it on my “maybe some day” list.

Also on my list is Valkyre Chronicles Remastered - I have wanted to try this out for ages and the PS4 remaster looks really cool. Dragon Quest Heroes is getting some love from folks and critics and looks like it could be neat. Final Fantasy X and X-2 Remastered (or Final Fantasy XV) are solid choices as well. Persona 5 comes out soon, I think?

Doing some research I see Atelier Sophie The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book has a cool combat system, and people seem to like the game as well.

People liked Odinsphere enough I put it on my list, it looks pretty cool I think.

I Am Setsuna is a well regarded JRPG that’s also on Steam - it is on my wishlist there (though I don’t quite recall why, I should review some footage again to refresh my memory, but if it’s on my list I at least thought it looked cool at one point or another) and I just found out it’s on PS4. Certainly screenshots like this explain in part why it’s on a wishlist somewhere I put together.

Edit - This review does make it seem like something I’d really enjoy.

Some games, like God Eater and Neir Automata, look more like action RPG’s to me, but I am seeing them over and over on lists.

Anyway, some pretty cool options if you are into that sort of RPG style, and I certainly can be in the mood for that myself. Personally the only prize I have my eye on is the remastered Final Fantasy XII, I’m just chomping at the bit to play that again!

I started it today, really good so far.

I don’t know how you’re classifying most of those as ‘JRPGs’. Is “made in Japan, and has some stats” sufficient? :)

Oh, some people are rating World of Final Fantasy decently also.

I’m reviewing other publications and personal favorite JRPG’s on the PS4. Some of them are a little action heavy, like Odin Sphere, but most of them are firmly classified as JRPG’s, even if they are modern JRPG’s. Many of the very ones I point out are in fact traditional JRPG’s as well, such as Atelier Sophie and Setsuna, and FFX, and X-2, as well as Disgea 5. My apologies for stepping on your attempt at answering his question. If it helps, you are right about the 3DS having a much wider selection of excellent JRGP’s, but that wasn’t his question, so it’s not very helpful.

Oh god yeah. I’m on that as soon as it comes out.

I think I’ll avoid FF XV for now, but I’ll certainly jump on Persona 5 when it comes out.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I would love to hear more if you’ve got them.

‘Not very helpful’, that’ll be my epitaph. :)

We’ll agree to disagree then, as Disgaea to me is a tactics game, like Fire Emblem… and Valkyria Chronicles. Which ‘some publications’ do seem to lazily lump in with JRPGs…

Similarly God Eater, Nier, and Odinsphere are not JRPGs to me either, not even ‘modern’ ones. You might as well recommend Bloodborne as a JRPG.

But I suppose JRPG has become just as muddled as Rogue-like these days so I’ll leave it at that. :)

Profanicus is right. Final Fantasy XV is about it. Those other games are not JRPGs.

Yeah, FFXV is the only relatively safe, critically well received option as far as the actual JRPG genre (i.e. not just any RPG that happens to be made in Japan) goes. Past that, you’ve got stuff with a more middling reception, but might hit the spot if it’s what you’re in the mood for. None of these are from personal experience, but maybe you’ll find something:

Other Final Fantasy Games: Type 0 HD, X/X-2, World of Final Fantasy

Indie-style games drawing from older JRPGs: Pier Solar, Citizens of Earth, Costume Quest 2, I Am Setsuna, Child of Light

Super-anime stuff: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Atelier Sophie, Tales of Zestiria, Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, Megadimension Neptunia,

What would you classify I am Setsuna and Atelier Sophie The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, out of curiosity?

God Eater is a Monster Hunter clone.

Odin Sphere is a beat-'em-up with RPG elements.

NieR was a JRPG, but NieR Automata seems less like one.

Disgaea is absolutely a JRPG. “Tactical RPG” and “JRPG” aren’t mutually exclusive (and, really, most tactical RPGs are JRPGs anyway).

All the Atelier games are JRPGs.

For PS4 JRPGs, Omega Quintet has been surprisingly fun. Worth checking out if you can get it on the cheap (I got it on sale on PSN for $4 a while back).

Just pass on ff15 until a huge sale and hold out hope for persona. FF15 died in dev hell and was never released. I don’t know the game out today pitifully attempting to wear it’s face as a mask.

Even the ps4 Star ocean game is better.

I’m not sure I could deal with the J-Pop aspects. I saw it compared to the Neptunia games, though. Do you have an opinion on those?

I’d disagree, unless they patched the camera to the point where I can play an hour without feeling sick?

No, the camera still is bad, but luckily ff15 also has camera issues.

FF15 camera seems fine to me, by comparison.

I mean, I can run through the world okay without it constantly twitching up and down.

After hearing that there was going to be another Nioh demo this weekend I started to write myself a note to download it when it’s available. Then I remembered I had picked up the PS app for my phone. I popped it open, found the demo, “bought” it and have it all set in my download queue! Ok, I know I’m well behind the curve and all but this was just too cool. Consoles aren’t so bad after all!

Yeah I only use it a handful of times per year, but it’s my favorite part of the system. Aside from playing the two games I need it to play.