The Playstation 4

I think there was a sony email regarding store update. The store wishlist is now gone… what a dumb move. How should I know what to buy? I had 40 items on the list … sucks.

Supposedly the wishlist is still there on your console? Just not on the desktop store.

Heh. I just went through a month or so ago and populated the wishlist with all the PS4 exclusives I was thinking of checking out on PS5.

It’s a dumb move for them, but definitely a win-win for me.

• I’ll be buying less of their games as a result of this, and save more money
  • I’ll have more time to play the games I already bought from them

I don’t understand their reasoning for removing the wish list.

must be something technical behind the scenes stuff …

Looks like a few existing PS4 titles are seeing load times cut…

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-25-ps4-loading-times-are-improved-as-patches-all-but-remove-loading-times-in-first-party-games

Retrofitting of the improved Oodle texture compression licensed for the PS5 I think, going by comments on that article.

The housecleaning continues!

My PS4 Pro has been gathering dust (well, sitting in a drawer) for years now. Would anyone like it? It’s a launch model, and was used very little. I’m not even sure if these are still desirable but figured I’d ask before putting it on Craigslist’s free-stuff page.

Edit: CLAIMED!

A free console? That’s impressive! I need my base model for one more DLC for Nioh 2, and then it’s ready to be put out to pasture.

Well, my kids still use it to stream shows. I guess it gets to live a while longer.

Just popped in to ask if anyone else is completely bugged out about the fact that they’ve removed game trailers from PS Store?? WHY

Apparently PSN is having a big sale as well? I wish the webstore still had the wishlist. I should have written it down before it disappeared. Oh well.

It won’t replace your wishlist, but here’s a sale summary from TT.

EDIT: sorry about that, this is not “the big one.”

The sale is until tommorow, but there’s probably going to be another one during the Holidays.

The Holiday Sale has started.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/view/25d9b52a-7dcf-11ea-acb6-06293b18fe04/ba601501-3bbb-11eb-aadc-062143ad1e8d

I’m not sure why the PS4 is being singled out here versus other 500GB systems - maybe to do with the patching process - but this is dumb. I’m skeptical that Activision is doing something so completely different from the rest of the industry that requires them to take up so much space.

There are basically like four or five full fledged game modes inside these two games now as well as HD texture packs (not on base PS4 though) that cause it to be a massive amount of data and specifically detailed texture data.

People talk about a game as a platform and Call of Duty Cold War/Modern Warfare is just that now. It’s a huge, expansive, varied game experience.

I guess it’s time to finally upgrade to that PS5 system. OK, let’s go to Amazon… huh, out of stock. Walmart? Out of stock there too. Best Buy? Target? ANYWHERE?

Seems like they shouldn’t make their old consoles obsolete until they can reliably stock the new one.

It’s because the PS4 has an insanely bad way of applying patches.

The installation size of COD isn’t more than 500GB… the problem is that in order to patch a game on the PS4, it requires an EXTRA 100% of the full installation size.

So, imagine you have a game whose install footprint is 200GB. Say you want to install a new 50GB patch… you’d think you could install that if you had 50GB free, right? Nope. You need to have an extra 200GB free.

So, if you get an install footprint that is over 50% of the HD, you can no longer patch it.

I ran into this with COD on my PS4, and it’s what pushed me to get an external SSD (which honestly was a great upgrade anyway).

Now, this isn’t all on Sony, despite the fact that I feel they have some really bad upgrade plan going (although who knows, maybe the XBox One did the same thing? I didn’t have one… but it seems unlikely).

The fact that COD is so freaking gigantic is weird, and I can’t really fault Sony for not expecting 250GB install footprints.

Well that’s idiotic. Does PS5 do that too?

Ya, I have never seen any explanation of WHY they did it that way… but it seems really weird.

I have to assume they do not, as I can’t believe they wouldn’t have fixed this design flaw (especially after actually running into it last gen). But I haven’t seen anything about this specifically on the PS5.