The Q23 Word of the Day

yarn

-Google:

noun

1. spun thread used for knitting, weaving, or sewing
    [PN: okay…enough of that definition. I promise.]

2. informal a long or rambling story, especially one that is implausible.

verb informal

1. tell a long or implausible story

-Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

an exciting or interesting story; especially: a story that is so surprising or unusual that it is difficult to believe

-Oxford Dictionaries

noun informal A long or rambling story, especially one that is implausible

-The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

1. Informal A long, often elaborate narrative of real or fictitious adventures; an entertaining tale.

intr.v informal To tell an entertaining tale or series of tales.

-Wordnet 3.0:

1. The act of giving an account describing incidents or a course of events.

-The Collaborative International Dictionary of English:

1. A story told by a sailor for the amusement of his companions; a story or tale; as to spin a yarn.

-Dictionary of Americanisms:

A story. A word chiefly used by seamen [Beaumont]. To spin a long yarn, is to tell a long or tedious story.

-Christian Classics Ethereal Library [PN: yes, this is a thing]:

Found only in 1 Kings 10:28, 2 Chr. 1:16. The Heb. word mikveh, i.e., “a stringing together,” so rendered, rather signifies a host, or company, or a string of horses. The Authorized Version has: “And Solomon had horses brought out of Egypt, and linen yarn: the king’s merchants received the linen yarn at a price;” but the Revised Version correctly renders: “And the horses which Solomon had were brought out of Egypt; the king’s merchants received them in droves, each drove at a price.”

-The Online Etymology Dictionary:

The phrase to spin a yarn “to tell a story” is first attested 1812, from a sailors’ expression, on notion of telling stories while engaged in sedentary work such as yarn-twisting.

-Wordcount Ranking: 7764 (between stimulated and subordinate)

Quote from This Day:

-A little walk down memory lane:

-Oh, what the heck. A couple movie quotes:

-And finally, from the analogue world, the first time I heard this day’s word:

[PN: said at a press conference of the book The Hunt for Red October…I believe it was also on the jacket cover of the book.]

-xtien

Outstanding word!

Ooh! I love that.

-xtien

Thought I’d put this here.

Dingus, 1890 slang word. A nebulous, unspecified object. (It’s like a widget for Luddites.)

Examples:

Nineteenth century slang may have crescendoed in the 1890s with this report on a new game: Tiddledywinks. “You take a wink, put it on the dingus, press a tiddledy on the wink and make it jump into the winkpot. … If you succeed, you are entitled to a difficiety and for every wink you jump into the dingpot, from the duwink you count a flictiddledy and you keep on operating the tinkwinkle upon the pollywog until the points so carried equal the sum total of the bogwip multiplied by the putertinktum and added to the contents of the winkpot or words to that effect and you have won the game.” From the Tribune in McCook, Neb., on April 24, 1891. "

And, while writing about operating a coal stove, a Wisconsin person noted this in the Appeal in Memphis, Tenn., on Dec. 28, 1873: "We turned every dingus in the stove that was movable.

From an NPR thingy about lost slang words.

infelicitous

-The American Heritage Dictionary:

adj.

1. inappropriate; ill-chosen
  2. Causing unhappiness; unfortunate

-Oxford Dictionaries:

Unfortunate; inappropriate

-Collins Dictionary:

1. not felicitous; unfortunate
  2. inappropriate or unsuitable

-Vocabulary.com:

You can use the adjective infelicitous when something doesn’t work quite right, whether it’s a remark or a wrong turn down a dark street or an unfortunate outfit worn for a job interview.

-Merriam-Webster:

a. not appropriate or well-timed
b. AWKWARD; UNFORTUNATE <an infelicitous moment>

-Infoplease:

1. inapt; inappropriate, or awkward; malapropos
  2. not felicitous, happy, or fortunate; unhappy.

-The Online Plain Text English Dictionary:

Not felicitous; unhappy; unfortunate; not fortunate or appropriate in application; not well said, expressed, or done; as, an infelicitous condition; an infelicitous remark; an infelicitous description; infelicitous words.

-RhymeZone:

not appropriate in application; defective

marked by or producing unhappiness

-Wordcount.org:

Infelicitous is currently not in the archive.

-Quote from This Day:

-Imagine This in the Voice of Bane:

“This amazed and enraptured Tess, whose slight experiences had been so infelicitous till now” (Thomas Hardy).

-xtien

P.S. I love it when I suddenly read a word I can’t remember having seen before.

I imagined it in the voice of Vincent D’Onofrio’s Kingpin from the new Daredevil series. It works really well for his character actually, just change Tess to Vanessa.

I love this thread, keep it up man. It makes me want to start using ten dollar words more.

Speaking of which, the Latin prefix “in” almost always means “contrary to or the opposite of” when used as a prefix. Why then does inflammable mean the exact same as flammable? Or does it mean “superior to” in that case, as in inflammable > flammable? Dr. Nick would like to know.

There you go. In this case it just means in. Etymology from inflamare. Flammable is a modern word coined because people got into trouble assuming that inflammable meant fireproof.

Ah. Those pesky Romans and their silly language. Silly in silly out. :)

Seriatim - taking one subject after another in regular order; point by point.

I suspect this is used more in a US legal context than in the UK courts these days for Marshall to use it casually, as I’ve read a lot of English briefs and judgments and never come across it to the best of my memory. Wikipedia seems to back me up though it’s unclear if the reference to the CPR is to an earlier version with a more explicit disavowal of the formulation in question or if they mean the specific guidance is intended to replace the use of it.

I ran into a word last night reading Robin Hobb I don’t believe I’d ever seen before.

Perspicacious

Interesting. “Perspicace” is fairly commonly used in French. But you’re right that I can’t remember the last time I saw the English equivalent.

Hm. Obviously it’s not that common, but I don’t think it’s all that incredibly rare either. IMO seriatim is way more obscure than perspicacious.

Perspicacious is one of those words there’s never any reason to use. It’s just showboating.

-Tom

How perspicacious of you to note.

Is this a requirement for the thread? Not being snarky, asking for real, I just assumed this thread was for “hey, a crazy word I’ve never seen before”?

Far be it from me to come up with a rule like that.

I have always loved obsequious.

Then you damned well better do what you’re told.

I confess that I have trouble remembering that one. I’m more pulchritudinous than perspicacious, ask anyone.