The Summer of Gaming / E3 2020 thread

I am betting they are going with the… if you don’t mention Anthem, it doesn’t really exist anymore strategy. ;)

I hope so. I think it would be a terrible waste of Bioware resources to keep teams working on Anthem. They could be making another new RPG that plays more to their strengths instead.

Nothing on Apex Legends? I couldn’t watch this because the personalities annoyed me with how annoying they were, but I am curious about what’s in store for EA’s only currently supported good game.

Menzo made a separate thread for the EA event. I didn’t watch the event, but I think one of the first posts mentioned Apex Legends. So I guess it was in the show.

It was about half of the show.

Yeah, for one of the major non platform publishers it feels like EA has less and less to show for games every year.

They are very far away from the years when they released Dead Space 1-2, the three Mass Effects, Dragon Age, Battlefield 3-4, etc

Their last three non-sports AAA games has been Anthem, BF5 and ME Andromeda. So, yeah… I guess sports games sell al lot? But at this rate they will enter in a phase where they will reach a conclusion: the most rational choice is to refocus their business in ONLY sports games.

Now that I think about it, I’m not counting Apex Legends, which is what it’s saving them, at least in public perception.

You forgot that Jedi game people seem to like (also by Respawn).

You are right. Actually the three good things EA has done in the last years are SW Fallen Order, Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends… it’s telling the three are done by Respawn!

The amount of shade thrown at Respawn via these EA comments is pretty crappy. They are the best first person shooter developer on the planet right now. Just because you’re not playing their games doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

EA rightfully had them front and center at their event.

Huh? I don’t see any shade, in fact @TurinTur’s post above yours says they’re the only good thing at EA. In regards to Apex yeah it’s great (though I fell off playing it) but it’s not like they were showing a new game, just additional content for a year old game. Same with The Sims stuff.

so for this event it was
New content for two existing games
The Sims, Apex Legends.

3 smaller Indie style games early in development
It Takes Two, Lost in Random, Rocket Arena (acquired rights)

EA sports montage

1 NEW AAA game announced
Star Wars: Squadrons

1 Next Gen super early announcement
Skate

You don’t think that’s a bit underwhelming from one of the biggest games publishers?

It’s fine to be underwhelmed by the other stuff, but reading the posts up to the one before mine people thought they didn’t show anything at all when the reality is there was a majority of time spent on their super successful game from one of the best developers in the world. That’s unspoken shade to me.

New content (a new character and a new limited time game mode) for an existing game with a GAAS model isn’t precisely ‘big E3 news’ material. A new game made by Respawn exclusive to nextgen consoles would be big news.
They also would release the new content usually even without the E3. It’s expected for the business model.

You’re reading things that aren’t there. I mean, he literally praised Respawn.

And he’s right, EA outside Respawn has been pretty shit the last few years.

There was another stream here

A few cool looking games around minute 50 and onwards

The Avengers game, which is looking iffy as per most people

The Devolver conference, which usually is 70% comedy theater and 30% games, will start in 4 hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RxdwhD_c88

How was it? Anything cool get announced?

Different topic:

The Ubisoft conference is tomorrow right?
Edit: Yep.

In case you didn’t see it, AC Valhalla has two long gameplay segments leaked, and Far Cy 6 CG trailer also leaked. So it’s going to be a strange conference, never mind all the sexual abuse news going on…

There’s also a free Devolver Expo game, may or may not contain additional game announcement