The XBOX One

Good to know, I figured that was the case. Probably grab Firewatch on the Steam sale before it’s all over.

The Xbox/Microsoft store continues to be aggressively bad. I received a $10 credit for a price mistake on Xbox Fallout 4, and decided to finally put it to use today. First off, browsing the store on console trying to view all the current sales didn’t even show the game I’m trying to buy (Catherine), not to mention how horribly laggy the UI is. I search manually, find it, and am told the credit can’t be used for this purchase. Still plan on buying it because it’s only a few bucks and way better than hooking up the PS3 again but man, what a great reminder of why PS4 is my main console this generation.

On a more positive note, Catherine is currently $3 for Gold members, and recently was added to the backwards compatibility list.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Catherine/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802415407d7

e: Trying to turn off auto-renew was throwing an HTTP 400 error in Chrome (and apparently it can’t be done via console). It works in Edge. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt on that one.

My random problem of the last few months: watching YouTube videos on Firefox gives me random hard freezes and reboots, but not if I use Edge!

Firefox doesn’t do browser sand boxing like edge does

So yeah… Halo 5 was a 56GB install on Christmas day for us and then needed to download a 51GB patch.

That, my friends, is ludicrous. I have never run into that on any other system, ever.

Catherine for $3? That’s one of the few 360 discs I held on to, but for the half the price of a Starbucks run I’ll get it again.

I’m tempted too. Especially since Amazon Trade-in will give me $4.61 for sending them my disc copy.

How long did that take? Did you even get to play it on Christmas?

My nephew received Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens on Christmas morning, and my wife’s sister, not being a giant gaming nerd, didn’t know that the best way to handle Xbox One game installs was to take the console offline, install the game, then bring the console back online. (The Xbox One will try to install and apply patches as it installs if it’s online, greatly lengthening the process.)

Why does Lego Star Wars the Force Awakens have a 5GB patch? Heck if I know, but the patch and disk were about 25GB total and took 5.5 hours to install. That’s not a stellar gaming experience for a little kid.

Sometimes it’s just additional content that’s been put out post release, as in the case of Halo 5 - they added game modes and content that will show up as an update the first time you try to play. Still a massive pain in the ass if you just want to play, but there you are.

I’m curious about Catherine too. Honestly nothing about this game looks interesting, the gameplay looks tedious and the in-between level stuff with all the cafe yapping just makes my feet itch. But it’s three bucks so I’m kind of tempted. Hey, I never claimed to be a rational actor.

Man the 10 minutes my son had to wait to install Minecraft story mode off the disc was agony enough. Remember when we were kids and you opened the new NES cart, blew in it, and it just worked?

Sure, but sometimes it’s got nothing to do with additional content that was added for free. Sometimes it’s just the basic install and patching and it still takes hours. Hours!

I’ve literally downloaded, installed and started playing a game like Watch Dogs 2 on my PC in less time than it took my nephew to install and start Lego Star Wars Force Awakens on the Xbox One. That’s an insanely bad process.

Wow, I didn’t know this about Xbone installs either.

It’s been an issue since the console’s launch. They’ve never fixed it. They’ve made it slightly faster, but the fastest way is still to take the console offline, install from disc, then go back online.

I thought there was a recent OS update that made downloads and installs faster. Maybe I am misremembering. I haven’t had too much double wii this myself, with the exception of the aforementioned Halo 5, which I have removed and reinstalled a couple of times. A hundred gigs is a serious chunk of disk space.

You have pretty much described the game. Japanese mega-weirdness in the form of a dating sim on rails interrupted by odd puzzle levels that require fail-and-memorize play after a few levels. Not sorry I tried it, but I can’t unhestiatingly recommend it either. But hey, three bucks.

The “patch” is a massive number of new (free) multiplayer maps, huge updates to Forge, and a lot more.

It’s a lot, but it goes with the territory when a game has had well over a year of continuous constant free content updates.

If you look at map packs for Call of Duty as an example, they’re usually 5-10GB for each one. Halo 5 instead includes all of that extra content in the base game since they’re free for everyone to play. Here’s all the extra content Halo 5 has included, all of which means extra storage and downloads required.

There was. Over Black Friday, I got Dishonored 2, Battlefield 1, Guitar Hero: Live, Rock Band 4, and a couple of others on disc. All of them installed from disc very quickly simultaneously to downloading the patches. It didn’t take very long for them to become playable.

Oh geez, I need to double check my posts before committing them from my iPhone. “Double wii”?

Well, I’d love to know why Lego The Force Awakens took over five hours to install from disc and patch on a cable connection, then.

No idea on that one, sorry. Maybe different games are structured differently which cause installs to work differently?

It was manually assembling the Legos in a galaxy far, far away?