The XBOX One

What are the other local games? I only have one controller. But I was thinking if I took it to my brother’s place, I could connect to his XB1 and play some local games with my nieces and nephews.

Btw, I played it in single player, and it’s got good AI bots, but I’m just not feeling a competitive spirit against bots.

I know the boys spent some time with Knight Squad and seemed to enjoy it.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime was GwG and is one of my favorite couch co-op games ever

Second that. My kids love it and it allows for 4 players at once.

Those are the GwG offerings we’ve played a lot of in local multiplayer:

Chariot (2 players only)
Rayman Legends
Worms Battlegrounds
IDARB
Knight Squad
Tumblestone
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

And this month, we get:

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
SpeedRunners

There are other local multiplayer games we play quite a bit, but GwG has provided many hours of family gaming.

Despite a lot of buzz around recent success stories like Call of Duty: Blops 2 on BC selling so well that it actually pushed the game into the NPD top ten last month, Ars Technica looked at the usage numbers and reports that BC is largely a PR bullet point. Only about 1.5% of playtime is actually spent on BC titles across all Xbox One users.

I am the 1.5%. My Xbox is BC Central.

That’s a little over 2.5 hours of every 100 hours spent playing games on the XB1. Not surprising. I knew my BC use was much higher than usual, but mine is still probably only 30% at most.

Yeah, I’m probably dragging that number up by myself - I’ve replayed a few games through back compat when they were released, like Ghostbusters and GTA IV. But I know I’m a big time outlier.

Bullet point and numbers aside, backward compatibility is a Good Idea. This makes the Xbox a curated platform that will always have the ability to play older games, giving you more options. It also means that digital games you bought on a platform will continue to have use and won’t be wasted money. It may be a thing that a vanishing minority of us actually exercise, but those of us who do really appreciate it. I look forward to those 9am Tuesday/Thursday announcements - hey, one coming up shortly!

Only BC game I put any hours into was going through Gears 3. Worked well but its a side thing for me too.

Most of my time spent on XB1 has definitely been on XB1 games. 1.5% sounds about right.

The articles are interesting. Be sure to read the bigger article that the backwards compatibility info is taken from. The most telling thing in the data is exactly what I’ve said in this thread and others. Microsoft has no viable exclusives. Gears of War 4 is the highest placing exclusive game in time spent playing and it’s nowhere close to the third party stuff.

A similar deep dive on Sony and Nintendo systems would likely show differently, especially Nintendo of course.

Microsoft needs to reinvest in studios or funding things for exclusivity. Lack of compelling exclusives will always hold them back until they do. I suppose if they ever make a Minecraft 2 and lock it to the Xbox, that could be key to selling a new console… but they seem to like having that on everything they can put it on.

Pretty sure that’s before RDR came out on backwards compat.

And Black Ops 2. Wonder how much that moves the needle.

Incorrect, RDR backwards compat was in July 2016, a couple of months before the measurement window started.

Damn, tempus fugit.

According to that data, if you divide back compat into [back compat + xbo games], 2.67% of all gaming on Xbox is backwards compatibility.

I wonder what other gaming segments take up around the same percentage. Maybe some specific genres?

2.67% isn’t a lot, sure, but there are probably a lot of entire genres that make up a similar percentage that would still be sorely missed if they were gone completely.

Backwards compatibility is definitely a selling point. People (including me) love to know their old games aren’t tied to the previous machine. That doesn’t mean I won’t jump into a new console, but it does mean I’ll wait until there’s a game or five to sell me on the upgrade. BC makes it easy to commit early.

Are some of you guys complaining about backwards compatibility?

God this such a load of BS. Geez your bias is like a giant glowing tattoo on your forehead…