The XBOX One

I don’t believe that’s happening, or at least that’s not my reading, just that BC has varying levels of relevance for folks. Now there is a funny little thread I noticed over on NeoGAF where some Sony suit made a comment about why would anyone want to play the old Gran Turismo when there are newer games to play. Lots of folks say right on, but I think that’s a betrayal of your game base personally. Holy crap, if PS4 had back compat with the original PS, PS2 and PS3, if buy one today. I’d love to have that kind of one stop shopping. As it is, I just don’t feel a need for more than one current gen console and my trusty Xbox fits the bill just fine. But with a back compat PS4, I could drop my old PS2, which I keep because I have a ton of PS 1 & 2 games. And I could catch up on all the PS3 games I never played, plus some of the cool looking PS4 games. Not that my lone data point matters much to Sony but that would sway me.

Good point @divedivedive

I still have my PS3 hooked up to my TV filled with a giant library of digital games. Getting a PS4 would mean starting over from scratch so I have been disinclined to do that. If PS4 suddenly supported a large number of my PS3 purchases (and they ran better like they do on the X1) I would probably be opening my wallet soon after.

I don’t see anything biased about “Microsoft has very few exclusives on their platform, Sony has a decent number of exclusives, and Nintendo’s library is almost entirely exclusives.” That’s very easy to infer from looking at the libraries themselves.

He’s got a point to the extent that racing and sports games age the absolute worst of any genres. But 360 games look perfectly fine on an HD television. I’ve played AC3 and Mass Effect swapping between an XB1 in my office and a 360 in the bedroom with no complaints about the graphics or gameplay. (I’m still amazed that BC works at all. And that ‘film grain’ they added to ME1 was a cool effect). Same with XBLA games like Zuma’s revenge or the original PvZ, they look fine to me.

The gap between 720p gaming on the 360 and, well, let’s call it 900p to 1080p gaming on the XB1 isn’t that big (and I didn’t expect it to be big). 8gb of ram versus a half-gig on the 360 (with a similar jump between PS3 and PS4) was the far more dramatic increase between generations, but not all of that ‘oomph’ will make it to the screenshot, sometimes it will only make what’s on the screen look nicer with better draw distances and textures. It will not be the difference between PS1 games and PS2 games, or N64 games and Gamecube games.

Once this thing has an actual name (Xbox One Pro?) someone should start a new thread.

Any ideas for what would make a good name? Anyone?

Xbox One S is taken already.

Xbox One Pro would seem like they’re copying PS4 Pro.

Super Xbox One?

Xbox One Point One

“Xbox One 365”

Hell yeah! What a missed opportunity for Sony. I would have bought one on day one if that was the case - considering I occasionally still pick up PS2 titles I may have missed even though my PS2 has been put away for years. And I never owned a PS3.

I got the Xbox One early last year and what swayed me was the addition of BC. I have a huge backlog of 360 games, some I’ve owned for years that I just never finished or got to play much, some of which are favorites I can see myself playing again and a bunch of which I picked up right before getting the Xbox One. Being able to play them was a big reason for choosing the Xbox One.

I wish it did have more exclusives, JRPGs in particular (really want to play Persona 5) but being able to play my 360 games (and that BC list keeps growing) along with newer titles, even if they ARE multi-platform, is good enough for me (I haven’t owned a gaming PC rig since a long time ago - the last graphics card I got was the Geforce 7800 to play Oblivion).

I would say I probably spend 30% of my Xbox One gaming time playing BC titles. And hope they keep cranking them out.

Oh. I guess we were only feeling the basic Power before. Now, it’s True.

Xbox We’re Sorry We Fucked Up Edition

So Xbox One True? XBOT

Why can’t MS call the final product the XBox One Scorpio? I’ve always liked that code name.

The hidden messages pointed to this earlier:

People have jumped on that and are speculating that the “under $400” part of the image is significant.

I don’t know what the final name is, but it would be confusing having two products abbreviate to the same Xbox One S.

If that $400 rumor is true I will be in early. Same price as PS4 Pro and it makes the Pro look like a Fisher Price My First Console Toy®.

Well you’re assuming the PS4 doesn’t drop in price, which it almost certainly will. Also I think you are overselling that power disparity.

Frankly, I sort of think MS are fighting the war of 4 years ago with chasing power. That battle was fought and lost, and things have moved on to the games available. I went from being primarily a 360 player to a PS4 only guy this generation and I don’t really feel like I’ve missed anything from the Xbox side, plus MS recent embrace of PC makes the case for owning an Xbox even more questionable. Being an iterative console sort of hurts them too IMO, as if being pushed as a new generation launch I think they could shake things up a bit more. In some ways I think they are trying to jumpstart the next cycle as they lost this one pretty badly, in the same way they did when they went Xbox to 360, but the messaging so far has been counter to that, I dunno.

If anything I’m thinking my next new console is a Switch, and that’s weaker than even the Xbox One…

Recent Glixel podcast pretty much echoes a lot of my thoughts.
http://www.glixel.com/news/glixel-podcast-how-microsoft-can-save-xbox-and-scorpio-w485700

I like fighting for the underdog. :-P

Last gen my console was a PS3, this gen it is an X1.

Though PC is my primary gaming machine so consoles are just a supporting element.

Skipping PS4 I don’t feel like I missed anything, but largely that is because Metal Gear was available on every platform with V.

You’re right, of course. The console means nothing if they can’t get any games. The Xbox One exclusives have been horrendous. Gears and Halo aren’t what they used to be. Ryse was a joke. Sunset Overdrive tanked.

I don’t know how to save this console, which is a shame because I own 2 of them. My entire 360 gen crew of friends has gone fulltime PC or PS4.

Your problem doesn’t seem all that complicated - the Xbox One and PS4 probably share a 90% identical library. If your opinion of the Xbox exclusives is so low and all your friends are playing on PS4, why not trade in or sell your two Xboxes, buy a PS4? Sounds like win/win.