The XBOX One

I heard XCOM 2 was better than the first, though quite a bit harder. I got it in a Humble Bundle, but haven’t tried it myself because I thought the first one was pretty damn hard.

So this is interesting for a couple reasons: first, Rockstar announces this themselves, not Larry Hyrb as per usual, plus the games aren’t BC until June 7, so jumping the gun just a bit.

One other tidbit, sounds like even if you own a disc or digital version of the original Xbox GTA San Andreas, you’ll only get the updated 360 version as an option to install, kind of weird.

I was digging around the BC site a few days ago and noticed that MS said if people wanted a game to be made BC, they should contact the game’s publisher. To me, that seemed a turn-around from when MS had a suggestion box for games to work on making BC. To be fair, I haven’t looked at the site in that much depth in a long time, so that suggestion area might have been pulled long ago.

The “suggestion box” for back compat is no longer live. It was always used as a way to guide priorities, but ultimately it’s a much more complicated set of business decisions and licensing issues which determined which games became backward compatible first.

I was thinking that had more to do with granting permission for MS to make the game BC, with licensing and such, but I guess there’s no reason a developer couldn’t make their own announcements. Just a little outside the norm.

That’s been my suspicion for some time now, that the technical challenges are more or less resolved, and all that’s left is the licensing. I’m hoping we aren’t nearing the end of BC releases, because I’ve still got a long list of stuff I’d like added!

MS said that themselves, no? It’s basically a 360 VM now, is my understanding.

It’s an emulator and there are usually still tweaks to the emulator for each game. It’s not simply a vm.

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge MS hasn’t ever stated that it’s all down to licensing discussions for any remaining BC. I may be wrong about that, I just haven’t seen it.

They’ve not said it’s explicitly about licensing, but they’ve said there’s no technical hurdles and it’s a publisher decision.

I loved Midnight Club: LA back in the day, so I’m looking forward to go back to it next week.

So if I want Ninja Gaiden II then I should contact the publisher… Microsoft.

I’m screwed.

I don’t know what’s going on with the self-published stuff, NG2 in particular seems like it should have been out for some time. Stuff like Project Sylpheed, though I own a copy and would love to see it, may not have the audience. But Ninja Gaiden? Just seems odd.

I think the question we all wanna know is; when is the remastered Red Dead Redemption backwards compatible Release going to occur? Well I wanna know…

I’m still waiting for Tales of Vespera - got excited when Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey became BC but then again, I think Mistwalker was a Microsoft studio, wasn’t it?

BC was the best thing that came out of Microsoft this console generation.

Not sure what you’re asking here with your wording on “remastered”. Red Dead Redemption was released as a backward compatible title in July 2016, almost two years ago, and then it got a patch to make it look better on the Xbox One X recently after the release of that console, so it looks and runs better at a higher resolution.

I had the backwards compatible version from release.

That is the part I was unaware of, but It won’t do me any good. No One X (and no plans to buy one). I’ll wait until the next generation Xbox before I upgrade again.

Is there a legit reason why they don’t give the graphic boosts to the vanilla Xbox One on 360 BC games (or do they? Not 100% sure, under the impression NO)?

Seems the One should have the horsepower for better resolution. Or is this just to give folks a reason to buy the Xbox One X?

Sadly, none of the Xbox 360 games I’d like to play via BC are ever likely to get there, as they’re from Japanese publishers who don’t care, like Cave, Qute, and, uh, Square Enix.

As far as the upgrades not applying on regular Xbox Ones, as I understand it, there’s a lot going on under the hood to get those boosts, and the extra power of the X is actually relevant there.

Some Cave games have gone BC, I remember Guwange off the top of my head, so don’t give up hope.