The XBOX One

The regular One usually has steadier framerates than the 360 version. But the whole emulation layer sucks up resources and the One can’t then provide the same kind of meaningful graphical overhaul that the One X can.

Digital Foundry videos looking at those BC titles go into that. Have a look on YouTube or Eurogamer if curious.

I do love what they do with those titles on the One X at no extra cost to us. Very nice commitment to BC by Microsoft.

XBLA games are, in general, a very different beast from retail releases - there are loads of XBLA games available through BC from publishers that adamantly refuse to make any of their retail stuff available, including Cave (whose XBLA platformer Nin2-Jump is also available through BC).

Surprised that the original Dead Rising isn’t BC - seems like a real omission, since wasn’t it exclusive to xbox on the consoles?

That could be a decision by Capcom, there’s a remastered XB1 version.

Didn’t realize there was a remaster. That makes sense then.

Though some games that have been remastered still allow the 360 games to go back compat, like the Bioshock games. But yeah, likely a Capcom decision since several other of their games are BC. But no Bionic Commando! Come on, Capcom!

People originally thought it was technically impossible for the Xbox One to emulate Xbox 360 games at all, and it was practically a miracle when that happened.

And in the first iteration, many backward compatible games had worse frame rates and/or input latency than those games had playing them natively on the 360 - at that time many people thought “oh well, what can you do? The Xbox One isn’t fast enough to emulate those 360 games games as fast as a 360 can run them natively”.

Then the BC team managed to fix those issues, and now every single BC game universally runs as good as or better than those games run on the 360 - while also having better texture filtering and vsync enabled along the way.

Expecting even further enhancements to BC games on the base Xbox One seems really unlikely given how unlikely it was for the team to be able to get even to this point.

I see. Thanks for the explanations.

Is this one of the games that received a patch or update removing some of the songs from the soundtrack? Music licensing may be the issue here. It could possibly also be - wasn’t there the whole Hot Coffee issue? Perhaps they’re ensuring that only the version with that removed is what’s available for ESRB reasons.

I figure it must be something like that, but if I recall correctly the 360 version is a port of the iOS version and isn’t really very good. But I think I bought it when it was deeply discounted once, so maybe I’ll check it out.

Hmm, if they’re that close to the edge then they might still be unhappy with the performance of NG2. It runs pretty badly on 360. I still suspect there’s a technical reason for it.

More stuff in gamepass:

Alien Hominid HD
BattleBlock Theater
Hydro Thunder Hurricane
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Xbox Original

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Huh.

I wonder how the original KOTOR holds up. I don’t have time to play it, but if I did, I’d be curious on how a dark side playthrough goes in that game. It’s one of the few games that almost convinced me that the dark side was the correct side to be on for the betterment of society.

I popped it in just to see the higher resolution and it looks nice, but I only played through the initial tutorial section. I would like to go through again though I know just like with my previous plays, I’ll wimp out on going Sith.

I didn’t think the recent iOS release looked very good. I can’t imagine the original Xbox game is any better. Lots of muddy, low res textures.

Gameplay wise I still enjoy it, even if the combat can be a little repetitive.

There are serious issues with the gameplay. Saves reloading lose inventory items. And it doesn’t look that great. When it came out I bought it and got halfway through the game. The only thing that kept me going was the great writing. And the memories. But technically it was a mess.

I played it when it launched too. I don’t remember having any technical difficulties. I finished it, and was really surprised by it. I had this impression because of Baldur’s Gate (the original) that Bioware was full of people who didn’t know how to write or how to present fun gameplay, but I was proven wrong on both counts. I was also not a Star Wars fan, so when I went to spend a month over the summer with my brother in Chicago, I only tossed it in from sheer boredom. But it completely changed my impression of Bioware, at least. It didn’t turn me into a Star Wars fan or anything, but I had more respect for it, especially after KOTOR 2.

EDIT: Ah I see, you’re talking about the Backward Compatible port.

Concur wholeheartedly with everything you wrote. But my comment was about the Backwards compatible port relaunch a few months (?) ago. It worked just fine in 2003-4 when I played it the first time…and didn’t sleep for days.

I want to go back and replay a bunch of the Originals that we’re released to BC, but KOTOR is pretty far down the list for me.

Somehow, I convinced myself I had to win the dueling to progress and never made it past the first planet because I hit a wall.

Years later, I learned that you can go back and finish that optional challenge. Maybe that’s why Bioware started identifying the quests as either core or side in Mass Effect.