The XBOX One

What’s nice for my backlog is that I truly missed out on the games. There’s no going back. I missed the window completely. When my roommate in the early 2000s had a modded Xbox, I went back to that era on the Xbox, and my random sampling of Genesis games yielded nothing that held up. The only thing from that era that did hold up is JRPGs on the SNES. I played through all of Chronotrigger and part of Final Fantasy 6, and those were fun. But most of the stuff from the Genesis that I tried was action-oriented, and there’s much better action stuff in modern times, enough that it’s not worth going back for retro-enjoyment.

You CAN go back. Sega Genesis collection (forget the actual name) has some great stuff in it, including Phantasy Star II and IV which give the SNES Final Fantasy games a run for their gil.

Free weekend:

• Naruto Boruto. Also on gamepass
  • Valkyrie Chronicles 4
  • Shining Resonance Refrain.
    At the start it asks which mode you want to play.
    Original is the game which was never released in english.
    Refrain is like New Game+ with spoilers included. It’ll be weird.

The last two are apparently 30h long

Xbox One X bundles are going for $299 at most outlets. Think that’s the lowest its ever been.

Noice. One of the last 360 features that I missed in the Xbox One finally getting added, I think. Though the biggest lame feature right now is that to get the robust “play your own music” features on Xbox One at the same level you got on the 360, you have to use Spotify. Being able to play your music while playing whichever game, while also adjusting the two audio levels. You could do that on the 360 shortly after launch, and on XB1 you could finally do that a couple of years ago, but not on the plain media players or Plex. Spotify is the only one I’ve found where you can do that.

Now you’re playing with power!

Xbox One does what Nintendon’t!

I am a big fan of the Telltale Batman games and I think the second season was even better than the first - highly recommend trying it out.

Nice. They already gave us the first season, now the second season too.

Not a bad month. I really liked Shantae, one of my rare 1000/1000 games.

Good week for Xbox. One Finger Death Punch 2 is out, for $9 (cheap!), and it’s just as awesome as Tom said it is. Yakuza 0 is out (and on Game Pass), Nier:Automata is on sale for $20 (I haven’t actually played, but I hear such good things, I’m tempted to throw it on the backlog). Also, new dashboard update, but I haven’t played with it enough to figure if it’s an improvement or just a wash.

Ooh, I’ve been wanting to try Nier: Automata and at $20, sold!

And it is awesome to have a Yakuza game on the Xbox, finally. I’ve only played 1 & 2 on the PS2 and have really missed this series.

Also, looks like a decent month for GWG. Probably the best in a while? I feel like the last few didn’t have much that was of interest to me (except for the first Telltale Batman game) but I will definitely get 3 out of 4 this month.

The Wasteland remaster is available through Game Pass for PC and Xbox. I played for a bit last night and it will probably take a little getting used to - feels like it moves a little too fast or something - but it’s still the good old Wasteland experience.

Nier is really pissing me off, if you die you have to start the tutorial all over again and it takes about 1/2 hour to complete. I keep dying at the second boss.

All my suppressed rage is returning. And I’m good at action games. No idea how other people did it. Lower difficulty?

I’m playing on Normal, will try Easy for my third run. If that doesn’t work then $20 down the drain, I guess.

Free weekend:

• Division 2
  • Dragonballz Fighterz
  • Just Cause 4

JC4 is leaving gamepass tomorrow, so an extra day or two to finish with it.

That’s a great month for GWG, all 4 solid games. How was January’s Cthulhu & Bikes?

Gp leaving in 2 weeks:

• Deus Ex Mankind Divided
  • Lichtspeer
  • Shenmue 1 & 2
  • Thimbleweed Park

I feel you, that Sawmill boss robot was crap, if you lose you have to repeat a lot. I looked it up on youtoube, but still hard. Use healing items and dodge a lot. It becomes a different game after that, more an RPG

Gamepass:

Tomorrow - Nba 2k20
Tomorrow - Train Sim World
11 - Ori 2
12 - Pikuniku
13 - State of Decay 2 dlc & new map