The XBOX One

The One S is great, but it’s still an Xbox One.

I don’t think I’ll be renewing my Xbox Live subscription for the first time in maybe 10 years. I don’t think it’s needed to watch Netflix or Youtube any more, and I don’t play multiplayer games nowadays. It never seems to go on sale for reasonable prices and the Games With Gold titles have been hot garbage since a few months before Gamepass hit the street a year or two ago. I just don’t see a use for it given my gaming habits lately.

I can’t even add time to it right now until it expires because I’ll only get 20 days of service for every 30 redeemed thanks to the Gamepass coupling:

Right now the only thing I get out of it is playing the occasional Gamepass game, but I play so few of them it would be more cost effective to just buy them. Things might change if I see a good sale price on a Live subscription ever again. I tend to buy a few years at a time when I see them.

When I only had Gold and used to get Xbox Game Pass on certain months when I had more free time, I did think of letting Gold lapse every once in a while since I don’t play multiplayer anymore.

But since they released Ultimate and I converted, I haven’t thought about it since. I use both Game Pass for console and PC so much, I don’t even worry about the Gold part being tossed in anymore.

Besides, like divedivedive points out, I get enough MS reward points that it’s not a big cost (5 minutes a day of logging into a couple of apps/browser).

You also get MS points for digital game purchases. Use Bing day-to-day and do the occasional stuff offered in the Rewards app and you can fund a lot of Live membership, particularly if you buy games digitally occasionally too.

I should have well over $200 in rewards points to drop on the Series X when pre-orders hit. I hope they never get rid of this program.

You can use reward points to buy Hardware? From the MS Store? I didn’t know that. Or do you convert it to Amazon gift cards or something?

Maybe you can’t, I just assumed I could convert to MS gift cards and use in the store.

I think you’re right. I just checked the description (for MS Gift Cards and Xbox Live points), and it says you can use it in the Microsoft Store Online, and use it to buy (among other things listed) accessories and controllers and other hardware.

Wow.

(But obviously, you have to keep your currency in rewards points until you’re ready to use it. The Gift Card currency expires in 90 days).

Two things I wish MS would implement with the Series X: There should be a way to view patch notes when games are updated; there needs to be a method of submitting crash report data when it happens. Sony allows both of those things and MS needs to as well.

Absolutely agree. And bonus points to Microsoft if they can get developers to post actual release notes, not just “Improved Stability” for every patch.

Looks like there’s a pretty big sale that just dropped unannounced, haven’t had a chance to check if there is anything terribly new or noteworthy in there -

I just had a look and didn’t see anything special. The bundle for Mass Effect: Andromeda and Dragon Age: Inquisition is down to $12. I keep thinking I should pick that up, since I have digital editions of all the other DA and ME games on Xbox and I’d like to have a full library in case I ever want to do a full playthrough, but I know in my heart of hearts that’ll never actually happen.

Genesis Alpha One is $10. That looks like a fun time at that price.

Welp, the normal X has still been out of stock the last couple of weeks, but apparently there’s a Cyberpunk 2077 special edition of it that went live an hour ago, and I managed to get an order in on it through the MS store.

No Man’s Sky getting cross play and joining PC and Xbox Game Pass!

Production of the vanilla Xbox One X halted over a year ago. The only production since then were Special Edition versions that are bundled with games such as NBA2K. The Cyberpunk Special Edition was the final production run of the Xbox One X. Production was switched over to Series X.

Holy crap, they’re bringing the 2006 Bard’s Tale remaster to Xbox and Game Pass next week too! I know I have a somewhat irrational love of that game but it was a blend of fun ARPG mechanics and great humor that really hit the sweet spot for me. Will definitely be playing that.

My Cyberpunk X just arrived and is updating now. Looking forward to seeing how big of a jump it is from the S.

By the way, do we have a central listing of Xbox usernames to add to friends lists?

Does it look pretty cool in real life? From the photos, I thought it was the coolest looking console I’ve seen yet.

Agree this is a fun game - which I never finished. I tried playing it a few years ago. The graphics aged very, very poorly. Hopefully they’re doing more than just shipping the old version.

The Cyberpunk One X looks amazing in person. Lots of “engraved” details on the casing, unique startup sound, and even some unique LEDs. Plus there’s at least one UV ink easter egg.