Things you should never, under any circumstances, ingest but are technically food

I avoid sugar in foods, not just because of diabetes, but because it tastes like shit. I don’t order Papa John’s because the sauce is too sweet. I stopped buying Progresso soups for the same reason. I can’t stand that most sliced bread now is sweet as well. If I want a ham sandwich I don’t want it on two slices of pound cake. So this Pattinson crap? Do not fucking want.

It’s freaking amazing, isn’t it? Whenever anyone remarks on the mystery of how everyone started getting fat in the 70’s and 80’s, my answer is sugar. Damn near everything has sugar in it now. The American palate is adapted to it, and people now expect things like bread or tomato soup to taste like a donut.

You guys are right about sugar. I have been on the keto diet since last August (have lost around 70 pounds) and I monitor the amount of sugar I ingest pretty carefully. It’s astonishing how many food items are loaded with sugar. It’s insidious.

All the more reason to make it yourself. Bread, tomato sauce, soup. I prefer to make them from scratch. If a recipe calls for sugar I cut it in half, at least.

Can I add one as well? Mayonnaise. At first, it was easy to tell which ones had it, like Miracle Whip. Now? We’ve had Hellmann’s recently and damn if I can’t taste sugar in it. I’m not sure if that is a recent change but in comparison to my Southern standby, Duke’s, it’s pretty apparent that Hellmann’s is sweet.

In fact, here’s the Hellmann’s ingredients:
soybean oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, distilled vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice concentrate, calcium disodium edta (used to protect quality), natural flavors

And Duke’s:
soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, paprika, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor

And just for giggles, here is Miracle Whip:
water, soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, vinegar, modified corn starch, eggs , salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate, spice, and dried garlic

I understand how it happens, there is a general cooking principle of adding something sweet to a rich dish to tone down the richness. But mayo? Come on man.

You made me curious so I grabbed the only jar of mayonnaise I could fine which was the Wegmans brand. It lists sugar in the 2% or less bucket. And it doesn’t have any entry for sugar on the nutrition label. So I think it’s a good one!

Also, the other mayo I use, which is kewpie mayo, has no sugar. So that’s cool too.

It’s probably for preservative qualities as much as anything.

It could be I guess? But you’d think every mayo would have it if so. Sugar is similar to salt in that it seems to be in damn near everything.

Looks like I can get this back out:

Hahahaha, I love it. I also love the fact someone spent the time to paint that. True love right there.

I photoshopped it, and apparently did a pretty good job. Lol

I did it to fight in an internet argument with Timex and stusser who preferred Hellman’s. Worth it.

Dukes is like mayonaise that someone already ate and then threw up.

It’s ok, you can let yourself be wrong now and then.

Making mayo is pretty simple. 2 egg yokes, a tsp of lemon juice, and 1 cup of oil poured in slowly as you beat it. Takes 5 minutes and tastes as good as the oil used, and better than anything you would buy.

Whole wheat bagels. I did a pickup order from a supermarket that has an in-house bakery that makes decent bagels. The order I placed had substitution instructions but I failed to specify that whole wheat bagels were unacceptable. I will not forget to do that again.

I did an Instacart order from Publix recently. Tried for the second week in a row to get Dave’s Everything Bagels, which are pretty excellent from non NYC fare.

They were sold out for the second time, so my shopper said he was going to the backup, the (relatively crappy, totally under-Everything’ed) house brand.

What I actually got were Cinnamon-Raisin bagels from the house brand. I do not want to put my bacon n egg sammies into this :-/

You know that. High five!

Having never had one. Or now that I think about it, ever seen one. What makes them bad? Seriously curious.

Wheat bread and super gluteny structure seem to be incompatible, so you mostly just wind up with an exceptionally thick, very mildly chewy lump of wheat bread that someone bisected for you.

Makes sense. I will not seek them out.

Edit: I purely love everything bagels. But there are issues. Some never have enough crunchy salt. The onion and garlic makes the outside moist. Thus the absence of crunchy salt. But still salty flavor. As with the best of things, there can be tradeoffs. The best are right out of the oven, too hot to eat. But you do anyway.

Dave’s Killer Bread Everything Bagels?