Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - What if Borderlands, but all Tina's DnD?

So - I bought this, and played it last night.

Man - this is REALLY great, REALLY fun! I love it! Ashley Burch is a treasure, and the whole setup is ridicolous in the best, possible way.

I’ve only played 3 hours so far, and started with a Grave…thingie, but already want to try all the other classes!

I’m really enjoying it a lot. It is exactly what was billed, BL 3 with better writing and I am 100% on board with that.

Same. I never had an issue with BL3’s actual shooting or movement. That stuff is great. The writing was what turned me off.

I hate the UI in the Borderlands games, and I have small issues with loot, but that stuff is tolerable if I’m enjoying the rest of the experience.

Man, for you guys who hated the writing in BL3 (and I admit it wasn’t good) check out Bound in Blood, if I recall correctly DLC3. My favorite Borderlands experience by far. Great writing, fantastic and unique scene-setting, and even great music. The only DLC in BL3 where I kept the music on audible volumes throughout.

I don’t if it was posted already, but here are the current valid SHIFT codes for this game:

• B36T3-KSZ6F-K5TKK-JJ3B3-B6B3J
  • JBRTT-BZH6F-CC3W5-3TTTB-XB9HH

They end on the 31st. Each will get you one Skeleton Key for loot.

Lovely, more SHIFT codes. I haven’t played BL3 in over 2 years but I’ve input every single SHIFT code since before the world ended. It’s a sickness.

I just sped through the last couple of DLC’s for BL3 so that I could make happy-plate, delete the game, and move on to TTW.

I left behind 120 golden keys. I suffer from the same affliction.

Right? The weirdest thing is that the SHIFT codes for BL3 didn’t even get you the best loot. Orange loot only comes from regular in-game drops or preorder/deluxe DLC.

They very rarely gave out diamond keys, which I understand offer the best loot in the game. I think there were like three or four of 'em released ever, so not a large volume.

Yep. I have the same disease. I knew the keys were worthless in the endgame… I still put in every damn shift code.

In TTW, Purples still hold a little value. There are some purples that are still really good in slots like rings and spells, so maybe there’s a small chance they will be better here? Also, I would hold onto your keys until you get into the endgame, because you will have a better chance of getting items with extra adjectives on them later on in life.

Despite my better judgment, and because I’m a sucker for Borderlands gameplay, I picked this up now instead of waiting for a sale down the road. So far it’s a real hoot–same great gunplay an loot whoring, better writing, jokes that are actually sometimes funny, interesting map/level design.

One thing puzzles me a bit though. Every time I fast travel I get the same message and money deduction that pops up when you resurrect after dying. Is this an intentional fee for fast travel, for which they just use the death message?

My guess is that it is a bug. I’ve seen several ui artifacts left on screen at times, all over the place. This ships got a few holes in it I fear.

First time in a while that I’ve seen someone recommend the highest difficulty as the most fun way to play a game.

New SHIFT code valid until April 7th:

TB6BT-SWJCS-WKTK5-3B3B3-5BJW9

1 Like

Am I weird that I never bothered with shift codes in any BL game?

They used to be fairly worthless. These are… slightly less worthless. They are good for leveling up though!

This thing is surprisingly good. I have to agree with the folks who praised the writing. The jokes are actually funny (mostly), probably in part because they rely heavily on a fairly consistent strain of nerd humor around PnP RPG tropes. The repurposing of Borderlands characters like Torque and Brick is hilarious (and the voice talent from the rogue female AI in BL3 is killer here too), and some of the things that happen are real “WTF?” moments, in a very good way.

Gunplay remains stellar, though loot variety is a bit on the sparse side. There’s the traditional Borderlands problem of trying to compare a bunch of very similar items varying by infinitesimal degrees, and the correlation between rarity, level, and score seems all over the place. But there is still that really well done interaction of elemental attacks and weaknesses to play with, as well as fairly aggressive enemy AI that makes playing on Intense a decent challenge.

Character abilities seem ok, though I’ve only played the magic user class so far. Standard BL3 stuff. The Overworld is a nice touch, and should make it really easy to add decent DLC. Level design is good, though of course a lot of the random encounters on the Overworld map use repeated areas.

I do get a hitch occasionally along with a message about dropping connection to their Shift servers, followed immediately by a message announcing reconnection. That was true with BL3 though so it seems to be something on their end.

Overall this is definitely worth the price of admission I think.

Its also pretty clear to me, that whomever did the writing, actually have played Pen &Paper roleplaying games and just get it.

I still enjoy it quite a bit.

I do find character abilities VERY lackluster though - its mostly percentage adding with very little gamechanging stuff.

The spells are AWESOME, though - thats a great addition, that really changes things up quite a bit.

They can be really cool, yeah, though I have a difficult time figuring out which ones are better than others. The way Borderlands suffixes and affixes translate into gameplay gets Byzantine.

Did I miss all the release hype for this? I just saw a few reviews on youtube telling me this has been out almost a week!