Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

I’m just waiting for another sale to pick Titanfall 2. If it had offline skirmishes vs. bots or at the very least a coop horde mode, I’d buy it now.

They game needs both of these things really badly.

Yup. This game really badly needs a practice mode. The SP campaign, as good as it is, in no way prepares you to face the online wizards that now occupy the majority of matches.

That’s one of the best maps from the original game. Looking forward to it!

So - im mildy curious about this game by now. Whats the skill level required to play it? I tried the singleplayer demo thingie and died inside the fort thing in the beginning.
Is it like Battlefield 1, where I die every other second the one time I tried it? Thanks!

The base gameplay in the single player needs some solid reflexes, as there are some amazing jumping/wall running sequences that will require precise timing. It feels fantastic though, and it does ease you into it through the first level or two.

In multiplayer, you’ll die every other second.

The multiplayer is like every multiplayer shooter.

You will die every second until you start to get a feel for it… but if you have played shooters before, you’ll likely get the hang pretty quickly.

Honestly though, while the multiplayer is one of the most polished experiences I’ve ever played, the single player campaign alone is worth the price of admission.

The single player skill requirement isn’t super-high. The campaign does a decent job of easing you in then ramping up difficulty at a good pace. Think of older linear campaign shooters like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare or Half Life 2, but then add some verticality with parkour stuff.

Multiplayer though? A new player is going to get killed a lot. Like, A LOT.

As someone who put several hours into Battlefield 1’s multiplayer and got a refund (bad spawning, horrible team imbalance (levels and player numbers) borne out of the ability to team switch (so you ended up with vets on one side and noobs like me on the other)), and then did the same with TF2, I felt that the latter was more balanced and enjoyable (better spawning, no team switching, no way of seeing levels in-game). Yes, I died a lot but I felt like the movement allowed me to stay alive long enough to get a sense of satisfaction from playing and, eventually, kill other pilots and do the objectives. In BF1 I felt like a sitting duck most of the time, which is fitting, but my friends and I didn’t find it much fun. I used to be a big BF fan but TF2 totally won me over.

Edit: and yeah, the single-player campaign is fantastic.

Yes, dying in TF2 is better than BF1.

Like most battlefield games, I felt like in BF1 you’d sometimes spend a ton of time running to the fight, only to die immediately.

TF2 involves a lot less running.

If you’re running on the ground, you’re doing it wrong for sure!

Thanks all - I’m not sure if you made the decision harder or easier, though :-D Great singleplayer game, but high skill level required in mp! Its pretty cheap right now though on the PS4, and I AM kinda curious, so…gah…I’ll sleep on it!

Really want to get back to MP in this, and maybe play the SP again.

Here’s a great writeup on the Effect & Cause level (pardon me if it’s been linked already). Spoilers galore! https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-the-best-mission-in-titanfall-2

While I may have been harsh on the Titanfall 2 story a bit, and I still think it is above average, but not zomg amazeballs, the Effect and Cause level is probably one of the best FPS levels/sections ever made. The high points in this singleplayer campaign are incredible.

Yeah, I wouldn’t play the single player campaign for story (which is forgettable), but for the gameplay and, as you say, some incredible high points.

The campaign has some of the best level design I have ever witnessed in a shooter. Truly brilliant.

The multiplayer learning curve felt like using your teeth to break a fall from a bike, repeatedly.

The level in the factory that’s fabricating modular buildings is amazing.

Also one of the best shooter levels ever.

That factory level really kicked in my fear of heights. Only other game to do that so acutely is Jedi Knight.

The update is live on Xbox One, dunno if other platforms have landed yet. Here’s some details:

[Quote]Patch Size: 4.06 GB

New Titan: Monarch

Monarch is a mid-range Vanguard-class Titan that can upgrade itself on the battlefield through her unique Upgrade Core. Pilots select a path of upgrades and try to survive long enough to reach her final form. Monarch’s design is based on the salvaged, badly burnt remains of two Vanguard-class Titans recovered by the IMC from the Battle of Typhon. While the Vanguard-class was designed by the Militia for armed recon deep behind enemy lines, the IMC’s mandate for Monarch focused on flexibility through survival and support options, to serve many operational roles.

New map: Relic [Remaster from Titanfall]

Set among the old wreck of the IMC carrier IMS Odyssey, Relic is a worksite where Pilots have created clever wall running routes by hanging pieces of the wreckage between buildings. The map consists of the wreck of the Odyssey in the center of the map that splits the two town areas.

Created with frontlines in mind, the gameplay is all about assaulting and controlling the center and engaging in firefights from the great viewpoints of the ship against the varied defensible positions in the Town.

Map Update: Crashsite

We worked on a collision pass for Crashsite, fixing around 100 instances of getting bumped, bonked, stuck or tripped up (wall running will be easier). During the clean-up, we also wanted to experiment with more mobility options. To that end we’ve added 8 ziplines to get around the map faster and a few more wallrunning locations.

New Purchasable Store Content:

Ronin Prime
Tone Prime
Nose art
Camos
Callsigns[/quote]