Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

You are in for a real treat with the campaign.

Then if you want to ease into multiplayer, the co-op horde-mode Frontier Defense is a great way to try out Pilot and Titan loadouts/tactics against the AI before heading into PVP multiplayer.

Everything about this game is top notch. The only weakness at this point is the relatively low playerbase compared to other shooters, mainly because this game never got the press or marketing push that other shooters did.

And it was released at the same time as two other shooters, wasn’t it?

Sandwiched between call of Duty: Infinite warfare and Battlefield 1. The release date was a disastrous choice.

Oh, there’s this too:

For once, a trailer doesn’t lie - This is really one extraordinarily well-done and exciting game.

Yaaaaaayyy!

Oh, and that trailer is awesome.

It really is. Evolve had some cracking trailers but I think TF2 is knocking them out of the park. Might be time to post some in my favourite trailers thread…

Great ad.

Well this is awesome :)

And 5 bucks for a month of this, a Need for Speed and a few others I wanted to try - Oxenfree, Rebel Galaxy and Unravel. Not bad at all…

Started playing the famed singleplayer now that it’s in Origin Access.

Game looks great. Plays great once I increased deadzones. Seems like a fun game.

But. For some reason, eventhough my GPU runs at 85% and CPU at 30%, I get stutters. Game runs at constant 60fps, but every second or two it skips like a single frame, which is perceivable. Game is playable, but the frameskip is annoying.
Changing settings has no effect from what I tested. Anyone else encounter this?

I’ve not, sorry you are! Stupid question, but do you have the latest video drivers and all that?

Thanks, yeah I do. Weird thing is though, I just tried the game with mouse and keyboard instead of controller and the frameskipping is gone. Smooth as butter. Plus it plays much better anyway, the movement and shooting is ten times more exhilirating with the quickness and accuracy of mouse. So…solved! Gonna play the game the way it is meant to be played.

So far it looks really gorgeous I gotta say.

I picked this up on EA Access and, along with my brief foray into BF1, it has really made me appreciate M+K for shooters even more. Titanfall 2 feels a lot better than BF1 in that regard, especially in-Titan, but even so I’ve been dying like crazy from missed shots. The only console shooter I’ve played since, I don’t know, Halo 3, has been Splatoon, so I’d forgotten how clunky twin sticks feels. Definitely going to wait for Destiny 2 to come out on PC, if it turns out to be good.

That’s just lack of practice. When I mostly played console shooters and then went to PC, m/k felt off in comparison in which I missed most of my shots. So I presume it’s just you being rusty. Remember, millions of people are playing shooters on consoles without thinking it’s clunky.

Yeah I’ve been paying consoles so long that when I loaded up Borderlands on Steam a while back, M+K felt totally weird to me. Had to plug in a 360 controller.

Well, yeah, that’s because they don’t know better. See also: the popularity of Goldeneye.

Even when I was playing console shooters almost every day, it wasn’t anywhere near as good as mouse and keyboard.

It’s just different. The game plays differently with higher degrees of precision offered by a mouse. Different weapons become more powerful.

I played first two missions with controller. I play 99% of games with controller since 2010 when I bought it.
Then I switched to mouse. There is simply no comparison in what kind of kills I can pull off between the two control methods. Nothing to do with practice, everything to do with mouse’s accuracy, quickness and posibility to turn while jumping.