Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

In game finisher? Saw it on the internet, so must be true!

Some lore and background, cuz its not covered well in the games. :p

My release day copy from Amazon comes tomorrow… >.>

The tutorial obstacle course done in 25 seconds:

Kudos to that guy.

As a Lúcio fan in Overwatch, that may have sold me.

For the life of me I can’t beat 53 seconds yet (with Xbox controller, I suspect I’d do much better with kb/m). 25 seconds is just super human.

First Experience with the PC version:

• Did tutorial
  • Game “Freezes” after the loading screen of the first mission. it says press space to continue but nothing happens. it doesn’t seem frozen, it just seems like it doesn’t see me pressing space.
  • Hopefully i don’t need to redo the tutorial after i alt F4
  • Hopefully the game works at all

After alt F4ing and trying again, it did work the second time.

Finished the campaign. Took me about 6-7 hours. Nothing especially noteworthy good or bad. But thanks to the new Xbox achievement system, I know only 4% of game owners on the platform have done the same, so far.

Now it’s time to take what I learned about these new weapons and put them to good use in multi-player.

Loving the feel of the game compared to the alpha. Anyway, enough blabbing.

That’s interesting, as some sites likes RPS, GS or EG are gushing for the campaign.

Meh. A bunch of sites gushed over the BF1 campaign too.

It should be taken in the context that there was no real campaign in Titanfall 1, so to go from a story told half ass via the multiplayer intros, to a actual campaign in Titanfall 2, that is a big improvement.

Maybe I’m spoiled by DOOM single-player gameplay being so fresh in my mind, but the TF2 campaign felt more like an extended tutorial and weapon/kit demonstration than anything special.

I’m glad review sites had fun with it, but there’s nothing new here other than one map that involves a wrist device you pick up and get to screw with for about a half-hour.

It wasn’t terrible, it wasn’t remarkable, it was serviceable (although it was fifty times better than the Halo 5 campaign).

The only thing even compelling me to finish the campaign at all is that it’s so short. Not finding it remarkable at all at this point.

EA shares fell a bit today due to an analyst report that predicts disappointing sales for Titanfall 2.

[quote]
“We are downgrading EA shares … because we believe that ‘Titanfall 2’ sales are going to be substantially disappointing, enough to offset upside from ‘Battlefield 1,’” analyst Doug Creutz wrote in a note to clients.[/quote]

Cowan & Co’s Doug Creutz had predicted 9 million unit sales for Titanfall 2, but he’s adjusted his assessment down to 5 million. The reason?

[quote]
“We think the game got squeezed between Battlefield 1 and the competition. We suspect EA believed that by launching two shooters next to Call of Duty it could put a large dent in its biggest competitor, but instead EA appears to have wound up shooting its own foot off.”[/quote]

Respawn’s Drew McCoy said the release date wasn’t the studio’s decision.

[quote]
I actually don’t know where the decision came from. I just know it was locked in a long time ago and there was no changing it. I’m not really worried about it. We tried not to [worry] really…When you care about what other games are doing, when they’re releasing [, you worry]. At the end of the day, we’re releasing a game that we’re happy with, and we enjoy playing, that we’re proud of. As long as we’re doing that, I think we’re gonna find an audience. It doesn’t really matter when it comes out. A good game gets noticed.[/quote]

I think labeling it serviceable would be doing a huge disservice to Respawn’s work. For all Doom’s strengths, I’m finding that Titanfall 2’s campaign offers much more variety. It’s kind of like a Valve shooter, where you’re frequently introduced to unique gameplay scenarios. I’ve never seen anything like the factory level in a shooter before. It’s fantastic. Overall, the level design, free-running movement, and weapon feedback are just sublime. It feels ridiculously satisfying to play and it’s neat to see such an emphasis on smart platforming and puzzles.

Pacing-wise it can appear really disjointed but that’s probably because it was essentially a compilation of prototypes, each of which focusing on some bespoke moment.

“We started by letting our designers go off and explore new ideas and create ‘action blocks’. These were focused prototypes that showed off a particular gameplay element or theme in the Titanfall universe. Designers were set loose to go off and create whatever they could think of. The only direction was that it revolved around the theme of the relationship between a Pilot and their Titan. Each week they would regroup to show and play what they made to the team. They did this for months and created over 100 action blocks that expressed many different ideas around traversal, puzzle solving, combat, and more. From there we narrowed down the best ideas and refined them into the single player missions you will be playing this October. It was incredibly hard but a welcome challenge.”

Release window is a significant issue here.

I think it would’ve thrived in the Spring.

C’mon PC community, hang in there and don’t disappear after 3 weeks. Fingers crossed.

Did I miss something in the factory? It was just basic platforming.

This is where companies like EA have never seemed to learn anything from the past. Two similar games a couple weeks apart is a terrible plan.

That said, I can’t wait to play Titanfall 2 so as soon as it gets delivered, I’m in.

Honestly, even I had to make a choice due to the launch dates being so close.

BF1 won.

I just finished this part and it sealed the deal that I really like this game. It’s basic platforming, but really solidly executed. The feel for jumping around in this game is probably at least as good as any FPS I’ve ever played, and it really shines in the factory. There’s also some neat mindfucky visual stuff going on in that level. Nothing groundbreaking, but well done.

Comparing DOOM to what I’ve played so far… the gameplay and level designs are not as tight here. Titanfall 2 has a better story, the platformy stuff is better, and there’s significantly more variety in gameplay. It’s not a better SP game than DOOM, which was the best FPS single player I’ve played in many years. But it holds it’s own OK.

I’m digging TF2 quite a bit thus far. Well, the campaign at least. I only played a quick round of multiplayer.

I created a Qt3 ‘Network’! It’s open to anyone, however unlisted. Join it here!
Titanfall 2 - The Epic Sequel to the Genre-Redefining Titanfall - Electronic Arts