Tom Clancy's The Division

There’s some things I think he gets on the mark, but there’s a big disconnect between what he thinks should be happening in the game world, and what the actual state of the game world is. I’m not rewatching it, so this is my memory from watching the video a few months ago. There’s also a ton of information on the state of the world, and how the world got to it’s present state from the phone logs and “Echo” history recreations and other places throughout the game world. But it’s not immediately apparent to someone who just played the game for 8-10 hours.

The number one place where he fails is he has this idea that everyone should be arrested and receive due process. He is not seeing that this is a post-apocalyptic scenario where that simply cannot be done. Martial Law is in effect. The court system has completely broken down. Most of the judges and police are dead. I don’t have any actual numbers, but my impression is that maybe 90% of the population is dead. This is not just New York, although New York is the hardest hit, the game alludes to most of the major cities in the US and around the world having very similar issues. You can’t lock people up because there simply isn’t the resources to man the jails, and in fact one of the main factions got out of jail because the jailers were all dying off or unwilling to go to work because of fear of the rapidly spreading disease.

I think his view of what should happen is completely unworkable in the game world because of the lack of manpower and resources available to the government. Prior to the player being activated for “The Division” a previous attempt was made to do things more along what he would have wanted to happen. It didn’t work and everything collapsed. The initial attempts at a softer approach collapsed, and there’ signs of that throughout the game. We’re halfway to a Fallout scenario where there’s a complete loss of law and order, and everyone in the game is just doing there best to prevent the complete collapse of society.

What I think “The Division” gets completely wrong is their depiction of the “Rioters” faction. Essentially the Rioters faction is partly alluded to as gangs, and partly alluded to as just people who are desperate and willing to do whatever it takes to survive. A lot of the Rioters language seems gang related, but for example, I just listened to a phone log series where someone was a student. His girlfriend got sick, they took her to the hospital, she died and they wouldn’t even let see her body or let him know what they had done with her. He started getting desperate, and he relays a story to his brother (via telephone messages) about a bunch of people who beat up someone because they really wanted whatever he had in his bags, and then he ends by saying “I was one of the people who beat him up.” This story is told through a series of seven or so phone logs scattered across the world. There’s also a phone log about someone starving who talks about how people beat other people up to get the few remaining MRE (military meals-ready-to-eat) handed out by the national guard, and then he admits he was one of the people. So through the phone logs there’s a real sense that ordinary people are getting desperate and turning violent.

On the other hand, in some of the other logs there’s a sense that the rioters are hoodlums. And so the game tries to play it both ways. I think what becomes problematic is that the rioters are coded as anyone wearing a hoodie. Post Trayvon Martin, post Ferguson where the US DoJ determined that Law Enforcement was unfairly targeting African Americans, this just seems very tone deaf. You run into various people trying to break into Police Cars and they aren’t targets. You occasionally run into people even threatening each other, and they aren’t targets. But if you see someone wearing a hoodie, you kill them. I think the most problematic case is you see two people wearing hoodies over a body, and you shoot them. Initially I thought they were supposed to have killed the person whose stuff they were going through, but that isn’t the case. Sometimes you’ll hear a dialog that says something along the lines of “Damn it, someone has already picked this on clean.” Which means this poor guys are just scrounging for scraps same as everyone else. But if they’re wearing a hoodie, you kill them.

So overall Extra Credit in my opinion is wildly off the mark in terms of what he thinks should be happening in a post-apocalyptic New York. His solution was tried in the game world and failed in the game world as the crisis got worse and more and more people died and the infrastructure continued to collapse. We’re a long way closer to the total collapse of civilization than he is letting on. There really are very few options. Government resources are now extremely limited, Martial Law is in effect, the US government appears to be under the control of “The National Continuity Coordinator” which means that a great deal of the US government is gone. As the game alludes to, the job of the Agent is to hold on to what remains and to try to help society claw back from the brink. He or she is operating under some sort of controlling legal authority, so he’s not just some vigilantlie, but the situation is desperate and there’s still a good chance everything will collapse.

At the same time, Extra Credit is right that some parts of the game are completely tone deaf, and particularly in regard to the Rioter faction can be pretty questionable.

“Problematic” is the word people use when there isn’t a real world problem, just disagreement.

Tried the new patch, a lot of the stuff they added since release I feel should’ve been there at launch and perhaps retained more players. As it is, the effort is mostly wasted as a lot fewer people will get to ‘enjoy’ the content. But perhaps the number of players on consoles have remained high and PC players gone off to play other/better games.

Noticed that DZ05/06 in the 16x/200 bracket had a lot harder hitting mobs now than when I played in the past. My gear is basically the same as it was before the first incursion ( I wonder why… ) but back then I had no problems soloing 05/06.

The most common reason why players feel like they’re having a tougher time is if they were using something bugged like the Reckless chest piece, which was supposed to take extra 10% damage in return for giving extra damage. But instead was giving extra protection and doing extra damage. If you were equipping one, you now have a 20% swing in damage taken. There was also a mask that was bugged that was fixed a while back (but possibly around the time the first incursion came out) that used to give constant healing, when it was only supposed to give a temporary healing boost when the player had been hit by a DoT effect.

The Division’s Latest Update is kind of a Disaster.

Also, very small jump in players as a result of the patch. Doesn’t bode well –

Europeans Are at work, and the US still asleep?

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

The patch came out the morning of the 24th. You can see a bit of a bump in players on the 24th and 25th. The bottow graph gives context for how big that bump is relative to the player base since release.

Ah - thanks!

The Division: The Movie - starring Jake Gyllenhaal

Sources tell Variety that Jake Gyllenhaal is attached to star in the pic based on the hit video game that has already become Ubisoft’s fastest-selling product.

Gyllenhaal is also attached as a producer, and the studio is currently looking for a writer to pen the adaptation.

This…will not end well.

Wasn’t he in the…eh…excellent Prince of Persia game-to-movie movie? I guess he either likes games as well, or just the paycheck!

Coming soon to The Division - an iconic ™ rabbit suit.

Is The Division going to be around in 3-4 years by the time this has any chance of getting up?

3-4 years sounds about right for the release of “The Division 2”. Given how well it’s sold, I can’t imagine that Ubisoft isn’t thinking about a sequel. Just think about how many Assassin’s Creed, Ghost Recon, and Far Cry games we’ve seen. For that matter, count up the number of Prince of Persia games.

Ubisoft have certainly told investors it will be around in 2020

I uninstalled it. Got my money’s worth but there’s zero in it right now justifying the footprint on the SSD. Maybe when/if they change stuff a lot or expand it I’ll reinstall it.

There’s a login queue to get on right now!! Pretty quick to get through it, but still, I was quite surprised.

Got this on a whim since it was fairly cheap on CDKeys. Got as far as unlocking my Base of Operations and am now seriously considering uninstalling. I really like the atmosphere, the attention to detail, the robustness of the character creator. I dig the hidden collectibles and the levelling and even if the loot is boring, I appreciate that it exists. I like the parkour movement. Basically, anything ancillary to the actual shooting, I dig. But any time I try to complete a fucking mission, even a side quest in an area I am 100% levelled for (past, even), it’s death, death, death, with a side of death. The enemies may be unrealistically bullet spongey, but I sure as fuck am not. Use cover, the game says. Well, sure. Not using cover means immediate and utter annihilation. But when I hug cover, they flank me. They throw grenades at me roughly once every two seconds. They chip a third of my health in a single second even when I’m behind cover but maybe not quite angled right or something. If I dare to poke my head up to actually shoot things, my health evaporates almost instantly. Medikits help but are annoyingly difficult to come by. I kill a few things in between getting shot to shit so IF it remembers that those guys are dead I can inch my way to success and get some exp. I get to level 5 and get a second skill, so I try out the ballistic shield, which supposedly protects me from damage from the front. I die in seconds from enemies directly to my front. But I guess it makes my pistol slightly better so that’s something…completely orthogonal to its purported purpose, but still. You know what doesn’t remember that people I’ve killed are dead? Story missions.

So yeah. Fuck this game.

Sounds like you’re underleveled. The area around Camp Hudson, where your helicopter lands, has a lot of really low level missions. If you do those you should both level up and gear up a bit before proceeding. If you moved immediately from Camp Hudson to the Base of Operations and then are trying things like the Madison Square Garden mission, you missed a lot of easier missions that could be done first.

Remember the game really is an RPG, even though it seems like a shooter, so level and equipment make a huge difference and matter more than your twitch skills.

I was doing stuff in Chelsea, which is rated level 2 through 4 and I am now level 5. I may have underpowered equipment, conceivably. I don’t know what my path to better stuff would be, though - everything at the vendor at the base was too expensive for my very limited cash and drops haven’t been an improvement in the last few fights, assuming I was even allowed to get to the loot. (For example, I did a level 3 bounty where I died about eight times but eventually won out because kills persisted…only to have the target drop a fire grenade that killed me as I was about to loot her corpse.)