Total War: Warhammer 3

Don’t discount the very real chance of “delayed and released in poor condition”. :)

The Games Workshop website has a bit more information on the Cathay Faction.

Holy shit that looks good.

Also Kairos Fateweaver and Eastern-style dragons, hype!

Screenshots in the wild:

That looks so good.

Dear lord, that’s phenomenal. My cpu/gpu just self-combusted, sadly. TW2 already pushes the limits.

That was a good trailer, yeah. I love the art style chosen.

Finally, Three Kingdoms 2.

hahaha, probably what CA is thinking too

I think my computer will be burned up in those flames.

After my 1080 died, I think I’m there with you.

But also:

Same voice over lady.

To my tired eyes those look like paintings. Amazing.

I do hope we get ‘official’ screenshots soon. Something about these seems almost too good to be actual in-game screens. Maybe they are 4k screens sized down to 1080p and that is skewing it? Filtered through Freestyle or something?

Even if all that is true though, the colors are great.

That would make them look better, but only in that the lines would be softer/anti-aliased. As you noted, it wouldn’t change the incredible coloring, nor the art style that is really just gorgeous here. But most importantly - the detail on the models/units is what’s really striking. They always looked good in past games, but this feels next level. And the fact these models look this good in a cut-scene strongly indicates the models look this good somewhere in a file that can be used (by high end machines) in-game - this isn’t a console game that has to “scale back” to make it hit a target frame rate, don’t forget, it’s entirely possible this is what Ultra detailed textures/models look like.

I like Warhammer fine, but every time I play these games I find myself missing the kinetics of Rome. Rome is older, dumber and uglier, but whenever you’d charge some cavalry into some infantry and watch them fly, you felt the impact.

You look at the store page for your Warhammer now and it’s stuff like this:

But then you play the game and you spend most of your time zoomed out so everything just looks like grains of sand.

I don’t understand why they do that. They’re making it prettier, but they’re also making it huge, so you can’t look at anything unless you stop and zoom.

I wish it was more like Rome, when you could fight and marvel at the same time. If anyone makes a mod with smaller armies so I can actually see and feel the violence, I’m so there.

That’s my problem with this as well and truly sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

I have only really played Warhammer II, so I assumed all Total War games were played zoomed out. I had no idea this was a thing, and now I’m intrigued. Would Troy/Shogun/Rome2 fall into this category, or all they all zoomed-out as well?

You can zoom into artillery to control it first person, I believe it started in shogun 2

You assumed right. You can zoom in or use a cinematic view in any of the TW games, but then you aren’t really playing the game, giving orders, being aware of what’s around your armies, etc.