Total War: Warhammer 3

On one hand, thats awesome. Sieges in TW1+2 just ended up with exploiting tower LOS for artillery to take out a corner tower and attackers to flood in.

On the other hand, this sounds exhausting over a massive campaign. Excited to see more.

That’s what I was thinking watching the video. I do not want the run time on Siege battles to double or triple because of new mechanics they’ve added in.

Yeah it just feels like doing sieges in a non-exploity way will be even more grindy and time consuming, whereas doing them in an exploity way wont fundamentally change.

Auto resolve, here I come.

For me the solution if they want to make sieges this involved would be for them to become rare battles and therefore not just be a frequent hassle. In my mind, the easiest way to do that is to rebalance holdout times to make waiting out a besieged settlement a viable option that doesn’t take 1/4 of a campaign. Give the besieged player enough turns to try to get a rescue army to the city, but that should be the driver of forcing a siege battle. The attacker should get forced into a siege battle because they can’t wait any longer otherwise reinforcements will drive them away.

Yeah the time to attrition is, simply, insane.

14 turns?! Oh you can maybe get that down to 11!
That’s… that’s useless.

That sounds really fun to play… as defense.

If I am offense i’ll just bring a second trash army and autoresolve. The problem with WH2 is most of the fights end up being sieges which are really boring.

To be fair, in that respect nothing really changed.

I suspect they’ll be less boring, but when you do enough of something, the difference between tedious and boring is more semantics than anything. I’m fine with it at least being interesting the few times I actually do it though. I suspect autoresolve will still be the go-to for a lot of them at the end of the day.

I really hope they make playing as chaos not totally boring this time around.

Considering it’s over half the game, I suspect they will.

Warriors of Chaos suffered from being a last minute thing and it suffered a lot.
All sorts of ideas that sounded neat on paper but ended up being not remotely fun to play.

“You’re a horde faction that can never settle!”
Sounds neat. The reality is it’s the worst thing ever. Coupled with how hordes grow the best play pattern on release was to move to the first Norscan town you found and repeatedly sack it for horde growth and xp so you could get Chosen by turn 15 or whatever. None of the roster really mattered it was “get to Chosen, make army of Chosen, run over Kislev, maybe have the entire planet beeline for you through fog of war to kill you on turn 10”.

SFO changed a bunch of stuff and made Chaos actually fun and interesting, so I suspect CA will find a way to do it. Not sure what they’ll do with the actual Warriors of Chaos though. They’re kind of a faction without a home. They wouldn’t really fit in the Realms of Chaos and their starting area is basically in the middle of the map now in a lot of ways. I assume there is a plan for it, but we wont know about it probably until after release when they start talking about Immortal Empires being released.

Analysis/mechanics discussion. For my money Indypride just does a better job than everyone else on this stuff.

Edit: Quite a lot of mechanic discussions for the faction actually.

Yea the worst part about Warriors of Chaos is everything past stack 1. Basically you have to create a master stack and feeder stack… oh but wait two stacks in the same province destroy themselves. Also pretty much all Chaos forces suck, the way to win is just make giant Shoggoth armies. Nothing else can really handle it.

It was fun marching Siggy forward and laying waste to all.

It wasn’t fun having a one province vampire come up behind me and become the strongest faction in the world settling everything that should be left for dead. Thematic maybe, but that eventual having to turn around and do it all over again? Not so much fun.

They patched out the two-stacks-cripple-each-other thing quite some time ago. Technically it still applies to Marauders but nobody should use them past about turn 15 anyway so no big deal. And feeder stacks aren’t the way to go. When recruiting a new stack, the correct methodology is to recruit a new lord as a replacement lord for an existing well-built stack. That way the new lords lack of +horde growth skills doesn’t cripple the stack. You take the recently-fired original lord, wait out the five turns in the penalty box, and them recruit them to lead the new stack. And give it all the original stacks troops, because the original stack has the building and horde size to replenish quickly. At the end of all that faffing around the result is two mean chaos stacks ready to take on the world.

Also I’d disagree that all Chaos forces suck. They aren’t great in a lot of areas but their heavy infantry is fantastic as heavy infantry goes. Chaos Chosen with Halberds are a fantastic line troop against almost anyone. Especially if backed by a Hellcannon or two to force the enemies to close up and not sit back and shoot. Mix in a few of the Chaos Knights, plus some heroes on flying steeds, and you’ve got a stack that can match up well against nearly anyone.

Or for those who prefer analysis:

Battle stuff, nothing really new.

Also CA’s new PR guy is great and the above video led to this:

Forgive the Reddit nonsense, I don’t lurk on their Discords, so it’s basically the only way I see his responses, but he responds quite a lot and is fairly open about stuff, which is a huge change from the usual stonewalling CA has used in the past.

You just can’t beat Total Warhammer for epic battles - that looks dope as hell.

I mean, nah. I get it though, i love playing with my Chaos. But you can’t really make real progress until you get those Shaggoth stacks running. When you do most armies the AI sends against you get autocrunched. The Chaos Warrior army stack is fun and all but is in a different league.