Total War: Warhammer 3

Pour one out.

Whoops, CA reveal a bit more than they should have in the stream. 4 new Chaos LLs

2022-07-15 08_17_49-gwhn39otojb91.png (820×403)

The Ecstatic Legion - Azazel (Captain of the Ecstatic Legion)
The Fecundites - Festus the Leechlord (“Doktor Festus,” “Old Sawbones,” the “Dark Apothecary,” the “Fecundite,”)
Legion of the Gorequeen - Valkia the Bloody (the “Gorequeen,” the “Valkyrie,” the “Bringer of Glory,” the “Sword-Maiden of the Blood God,” and the “Dread-Consort of Khorne,”)
Puppets of Misrule - Vilitch the Curseling and Thomin (the Master of Misrule, and the Twisted Twin)

Was browsing TV and saw a familiar name image

TIL Warhammer ripped off Malekith too.

I think the only good original Warhammer thing GW ever did was the Skaven.

One bit from the Q&A that I was happy about is they are letting us pick the UI color scheme - I know many folks disliked the Red theme, and I myself did find I missed the blue colors from War1&2, so now those are selectable (as well as green). In addition, they opened that stuff up for modding, so we will get some UI mods now which should prove excellent, I suspect.

In Warhammer 1&2, I found the strategy/campaign side of things to be really weak. Much weaker than something like Three Kingdoms where I enjoyed that layer of the game. However, Three Kingdoms can’t hold a candle to the Warhammer battles. Different types of swordsmen or cavalry just isn’t ever going to compete with giant beastmen smashing into wood elves and stuff for me, sorry!

Has any of the strategy layer been improved in Warhammer 3 or is it pretty much the same as the previous two? Or mods that made it better? I know the campaign gets a bad rap but I’d only be interested in Immortal Empires anyway.

I for one really liked the Vortex campaign and played through it a few times, which makes War2 the second RTS I’ve ever played a campaign to completion on more than once (the other was Warcraft 3). But that said, the battles are where it’s all at, of course, even with a good campaign.

It’s got several improvements, though the campaign mechanics can be frustrating/annoying and promote less-than-exciting gameplay (especially if the Vortex campaign didn’t do it for you), from what I remember of my brief time trying out a campaign or two. However, there are quite a few great quality of life updates and overall mechanics changes that, when rolled into Immortal Empires, should make this Warhammer the defacto/best version of Total War Warhammer to date. And since, like you, I can’t go back to NOT having dragons, monsters, spell casters, and powerful relics and heroes to play around with, that means this will likely soon become the only RTS I play for a very long time, in Immortal Empire modes.

Thanks! I shouldn’t have mentioned the campaign, I think the Vortex mechanics were fine. It’s just the strategy layer as a whole that I found more interesting in Three Kingdoms: settlement development, diplomacy, etc. That stuff was super boring to me in Warhammer 1 and 2, but I liked the battle a lot!

Ah, I see - I actually haven’t played that so I can’t speak on it, but I really enjoy the strategy layer myself. I think building up settlements, and there being so many unique buildings in the various cities, and the interesting start locations for various factions coupled with how trade/diplomacy works (which is very improved in War3 in a lot of ways I really appreciate, a lot more transparency in if a deal will work or parlaying a relationship such as an alliance into specific help from the AI) as well as a much cleaner look to the strategy layer map. But without other context, my opinion probably doesn’t help much. :) It’s probably its simplicity that really appeals to me, honestly, haha.

I think the Three Kingdoms strategic layer is just more interesting. You’re not wrong on that @KevinC. There have been minor improvements to the WH3 strategic layer, but nothing major that is going to let it compete with Three Kingdoms.

In addition to the fun of the fantasy tactical battles, the other thing I would say is a plus for TW Warhammer is that the factions are a lot more varied. I don’t have that much time in TW3K, so maybe I’m short changing it. But the TW WH factions give a huge amount of variety, which really helps it to stay interesting on replays.

Yeah, you have a point about faction variety. I really prefer the theme and setting of Warhammer, the fantasy thing is just up my alley. I’ll have to temper expectations about the strategic side of things. I can still enjoy the game, but I would love if a mod overhauled or enhanced that. I played with a couple massive mods in WH1 and I seemed to recall them doing some things, maybe I’ll have to look them up when I pick up WH3.

The best thing about the Warhammer 2 campaigns is how different the geography and terrain and decisions feel at the start. Geography plays a huge role for most of the game that almost no historic game can match.

I played a fair amount of 3K and to me you’re not short changing it.

There are basically 2 factions (3 I guess with the southern DLCs). And everyone gets like a unique unit or two… that are still basically the same units anyway. “Swordsman” vs “swordsman that’s slightly better” isn’t a very exciting dynamic at the end of the day. Your faction also might get a mechanic that’s interesting and changes things up. But it probably doesn’t. It’s the problem with more realistic Total Wars. People, at the end of the day, are just people. You might get the occasional “bad ass group of people” that are highly trained and well-equipped, but they’re still people. Historical (or even semi-historical) Total War is all about loving the time period/setting.

It’s hard to compete with Daemons, dragons, walking trees and literal magic at the end of the day.

I haven’t played Three Kingdoms so I can’t compare Warhammer 3 to it, but the changes to how you interact with your allies made that aspect much more interesting. You can get some of your ally’s units and even take control of one of their armies from time to time, which proved to be the most useful. Ordering them to objectives seemed to work fairly well for me as well, but not enough to make much of a difference. They were generally too overwhelmed or the enemy too far away to get their armies in position before the next wave of demon portals opened. But sometimes they’d get a big stack next to a city I was about to siege or assist in a demon army incursion.

Is there something specific that Three Kingdoms does different in regards to diplomacy? Settlement development in TW:WH3 seems about the same as it did in the previous 2. Does Three Kingdoms do something different there?

“I’m tearing up, man!” -Tom Haverford

A perfect edit.

Man, this looks incredible!

Man I CANNOT wait for this!!!

Will do an Empire game first as always. Then maybe some Southlands thunderdome with TK. Grom looks fun beating up on the DE. So many great options.

IndyPride with details and more info:

Edit: Okay the ascension to daemonhood/unit upgrade is freaking amazing looking.