Triumph of the Jeopardy! Nerd

September 6th was the exact date I believe.

His shows have indeed been running for months. He won 74 times in a row. I caught him on one of the interviews, and he said he’s basically been keeping this a secret for 6 months (that’s how far in advance they taped his episodes.)

Debated on creating a Jeopardy thread and just necro’ed this instead.

Anyway, I don’t think I’ve ever seen contestants not only fail an entire category, but no one even tried answering. And the topic? Football. Not something ridiculous like ancient Babylonian spelling. We’ve met the only three people in America who have never ever watched a football game. Trebek’s scorn is noticeable!

Nerds in not sports fans shock?

That guy (who I assume is still champion - I haven’t watched for a couple days) - is pretty darned smart. The other day, with 2 categories and a clue left in double Jeopardy, he was at -200 and firmly in 3rd place. I told my wife that it looked like he wouldn’t be champion much longer. He then proceeded to run the board, including getting 4k on a daily double, and at the end of double jeopardy, he was in the lead. Never seen anything like it.

Oh, no

I read that. Fucking cancer.

Terrible.

I thought with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer that you’d have like a month left, if that. Very sad.

3% for Stage 4.

Staging is not always the most useful way to determine the severity of the cancer. You can have stage 4 cancer and make a full recovery (this is rare). Staging is just stating how much cancer is in the body, and how far it has spread.

Stage 1 means that the cancer is only found locally, and not thought to have spread to nearby tissue. Stage 2 is spreading to nearby tissues, Stage 3 means the cancer has spread to some lymph nodes, usually more local to the main tumor, Stage 4 means that the cancer has fully metastasized and spread to distant (unconnected) organs.

Typically Stage 4 is bad, but it depends a lot on the type and mutation of you cancer. If you have a cancer that is that well differentiated, you have a much better chance at treatment as those cells tend to be a lot less aggressive that poorly differentiated.

The type of cancer also matters, because the thing you are fighting is cell growth. Cells that grow really quickly make the worst cancers (and make up most cancers) because when the become cancerous the most mobile of cells spread the fastest.

Pancreatic cancer is super deadly, because of how pancreatic cells are fast growing, and have some components that make them highly adaptable to all types of environments in the body, making them survive better in distal parts of the body.

But again, not all pancreatic cancers are the same, some of the cells in the pancreas aren’t as aggressive, but the most common forms of pancreatic cancer are.

Pancreatic cancer is even worse, because typically it isn’t diagnosed til stage III or IV, because it stays asymptomatic until it spreads to other parts of the body. Typically the diagnosis is a suprise, because people go into their GP and feel a bit “off” or “tired” and end up finding out it is because cancer has spread over their entire body, and they are actively dying.

WIthout knowing the typing of Trebek’s cancer, we can’t say for sure that he has months to live, but with his advanced age, and the typical aggressiveness of the cancer he has. It isn’t looking very good. Surgery is probably unlikely, as pancreatic surgery is super dangerous, especially in the elderly. Chemo would be an option, but depending on the typing of the cancer, it may not be enough.

Anyway, I can’t imagine a world without Jeopardy, and this makes me super sad.

(I know all about cancer because I recently had a friend from college pass away to colon cancer at 32, colon cancer is survivable, I thought, but it has a lot to do with the typing, and he had a very aggresive type. I spent a lot of time researching cancer during his chemo)

Fucking cancer man. Sad news all around.

My was diagnosed at 72. Not sure what stage but it was a significant tumor that was narrowing his digestive tract. He got whipple surgery at the Mayo clinic plus chemo and it bought him about three years. They were tough years, though. Managing the diabetes and pain meds ain’t easy on an elderly couple.

Have people been following this? Trebek’s cancer is apparently in remission, and he’s back at work at Jeopardy.

The guy is an absolute unit.

I did not realize the guy is almost 80!

Apparently Trebek’s cancer came back with a vengeance.

Ken vs Brad vs James! The first person to win three games is the GOAT. Starts January 7th.

This started last night and was amazing. Anyone who missed it should definitely find a way to check it out (a bit easier to find the right streaming places than usual since it’s on ABC, as well). The ability to use the full hour let them pace it much more smoothly than the All-Star tournament.

Heh, on a sorta unrelated note, my recent binge into British TV has now got me hooked on University Challenge, which is like Super Jeopardy only terrifyingly difficult. Like, no kidding, “Listen to these three musical pieces, identify the song title, then use the color in the song title in order to identify whose nation’s flag those colors identify.”

Here’s last season’s grand final. The kids (average age 19!!!) from St Edmund’s Oxford are literal cream-of-the-crop. They were the youngest team in the tournament and whipped teams filled with grizzled grad students.

Ya, I was blown away at how good they were. I normally can get a few answer before the contestant but not last night. The triple rhyme were particularly amazing.

Yes it’s the triple Ryan times had my wife and me looking at each other asking ourselves how they could do that in real time!