Valheim - a viking multiplayer exploration and survival game by Coffee Stain

Lol thanks! Trying to drum up business in usually slow troll season.

I need to take out the elder but i’m too much of a weenie to try it solo. Anyone up for it on wanderers?

Oha! Since I understood that your average copper mine gives you around 100 copper and not… like 10, as I initially thought and played the game, …the flow is back! ; D
I would have never thought that I’m supposed to be digging deeper into what seemed to be just…more stone and dirt.

More people does not necessarily mean an easier fight. The game scales enemy HP in relation to the # of players.

Fire arrows and kiting worked well for me against the Elder. Takes a bit of time for sure

I built campfires all the way around the outside of the stone altar and the Elder kept stamping through them and setting himself on fire.

Heh, just maneuver him to stand on the brazier at the center of the summoning area and then stand still in ‘shield block’ mode to counter his ranged fire. only move if/when he summons tentacles on you and repeat. He will burn himself to death on the brazier.

New mountain house is almost done.

Managed to recover my best gear from where I lost it deep in a swamp. Made some more upgrades along the way.

Then I lost my best gear in a bad spot on top of a mountain; although that proved much easier to get back. Partly because I’d wised up and crafted some backup gear.

Beat the third boss. Found out that my mountains appear to be distressingly bare of the next tier metal.

All in all a good weekend though. I further learned that I am not meant to be an architect in Valheim.

4 Million copies already sold

My wife and I were pretty far away on my new longboat and about to tackle the newly found large Swamp area I found, but I wasn’t quite ready for some challenging content when I played this weekend, so I created a new world to chill in.

This new world has Forest, Mountain and Swamp very close and all within running distance! I may end up using this world going forward now and have already cleared out a couple swamp crypts. Need to build up some iron and attempt the Swamp boss sometime soon.

That looks amazing. I don’t know how you manage to make all of these ridiculously cool looking structures, especially given the games rules on structural integrity (and while under attack from hostile critters). I am barely managing to put together halfway functional longhouses and lean-to shacks for crafting at this point. I also can’t seem to grasp the foundation system. I try leveling an area and putting small beams as footers before laying down my floors and nothing matches up evenly, even on the “leveled” ground. I did just unlock log-based construction this weekend though, so perhaps that will make for better foundations?

This was some time ago - its probably another million or close by now.

OH right, from 6 days ago.

Played quite a bit over the weekend, clearing several hurdles. I discovered my first Burial Chamber, and promptly got killed by what I thought was a severely overpowered skeleton. Seconds later I realized a troll had come up behind me while I was fighting the skeleton and smashed me into paste. Did the long run back, collected my stuff (and some smashed skeleton bones), and delved into the barrow. Inside I found lots of different skeletons, a couple of rancid remains and some evil bone piles. I made quick work of all of it with my upgraded club and torch (lighting skeletons on fire is fun). If I had been smarter I would have left one of the bone piles active so that I could farm the skeletons for loot and blocking levels. I did score 9 cores (and a ton of treasure) though, so off I ran back to my home to create a smelter…

…only to find I was 1 core short of being able to create both smelter and kiln. No worries though, since you can deconstruct and reconstruct without losing materials, I simply would build the kiln, turn 50 wood into charcoal, then deconstruct and build the smelter for tin/copper. Did this a few times and was able to build a forge, then after much additional mining was able to craft a bronze pickaxe. I am very disappointed in the bronze pickaxe, as I thought it would make mining copper go significantly faster, but it takes almost the same number of clicks to break copper as the antler pickaxe, and trolls are everywhere, so I’m still basically mining one rock, moving/hiding while I wait for the curious trolls to go away, then mining another rock. Tedious.

Eventually I was able to mine enough copper and tin to make enough bronze to create bronze armor. Then a bronze mace. Outfitted with my shiny new equipment dwarves and skeletons are no longer a problem, even in groups of two or three as long as I’m fed and have my wood tower shield at the ready. Even the dwarf brute can’t get through my block+armor. Trolls however…I need an effective strategy for dealing with a single troll. Pretty sure toe-to-toe is going to be suicide, so maybe kiting with fire arrows? Any advice from the people further along? It would be nice to take down the one that comes sniffing around every time I start mining so I could mine in peace for a bit.

Eventually I found another burial chamber, this one a lot smaller. Thankfully it had ONE core, just enough that I was able to finally craft BOTH a kiln and a smelter at home, which makes bronze crafting so much easier. Planning on mining a lot more and crafting a helmet, axe, round shield and sword next, maybe a spear as well since I’ve leveled up to nearly 30 with the flint one. I also had a couple of “The Forest Is Moving” events since venturing into the Black Forest. Both times I was at home. The first time was pre-bronze, so I hid behind my defenses and waited it out. Second time I waded out into the fray and was laying waste to dwarves left and right…but forgot to check my food levels and ran out mid-fight, resulting in an ignoble death to a brute. At least it was a very short corpse run.

I still kite all the trolls I find with fire arrows. Seems to be the safest and doesn’t take too long. If you can, try to get an extra shot in while they get knocked back periodically for bonus damage!

I would consider tanking them with my shield, but it drains too much stamina blocking…

Hmm, I don’t really want to spoil anything for you, but the game does continue to give you different construction materials. That being said, the game operates on a pretty simple basic equation for building…there’s a good video on it let me find it…

Here you go, this will have some spoilers in it so beware, but a great explanation of how the building works.

Valheim building explained.

If you parry them you can kill trolls easily. I roll with the heavy attack, and parry the normal attack and they stun every time. Give it a try! (don’t miss…)

Yep - and once you have the bronze armor the attacks from the troll aren’t nearly has damaging

Very great game, I’ve been watching many videos and it looks really good. 96% positive reviews on Steam is very telling, and it’s even more amazing that they were 3-5 developers working on this game for a few years.