Wallet Threat Level

It is not a lie. There are plenty of JRPGs I never played, and plenty I won’t ever play.

But I’ll concede that I’ve played a fair share of them. ;)

Apparently this is really good?

I looked at somebody playing it and it’s really all I don’t like in a 3D game. Platforms everywhere, tons of collectible, lolita protagonist, busy environments that make me dizzy, and horrible shopping mall soundtrack.
Eurogamer clickbaiting with botw, total pass for me.

The trailer doesn’t inspire much confidence. Environments look lovely but something about the movement and animations just feels… off. It’s sitting at “mixed” on Steam right now… yeah, it’s a pass for me as well.

Sadly, Zach Zweizen seems to be on vacation this week at Kotaku, so as usual the fellow that subbed in for him only digs up much much less new releases for the week. I’ll put these out here, and if you guys know of other new releases this week, I can add them. We can crowd-discover this week’s wallet threats together!

That said, the biggest wallet threat this week is probably Nier Replicant [number]. And of course, baseball game fans who don’t have Xbox Game Pass have a big wallet threat this week as well.

Tuesday April 20

• MLB The Show 21 | PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox X/S
  • Don’t Forget Me | PC

Thursday April 22

• Atelier Mysterious Trilogy Deluxe Pack | PC, PS4, Switch
  • Buildings Have Feelings Too | PC, Xbox One, PS4, Switch
  • MotoGP 21 | PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox X/S, Switch, PC
  • Battle Axe | Xbox One, Xbox X/S, Switch
  • Smelter | PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch
  • Dungeon and Gravestone | PC, Xbox One, Xbox X/S, Switch
  • Dead Dust | Xbox One, Xbox X/S, Switch
  • Moon Raider | Xbox One, Xbox X/S, Switch
  • We Are The Caretakers | PC

Friday April 23

• NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… | PS4, Xbox One, PC
  • Judgment | PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, Stadia

YES YES YES YOKO TARO YES YES YES YES GLORY TO MANKIND YES YES

That number is the square root of 3/2, in case you didn’t know. ;)

On a second note, this is really cool too. I didn’t play Firis (yet), but Sophie and Lydie&Suelle are awesome. Most upbeat, heartwarming, wholesome games I’ve ever played.

I think this week’s biggest Wallet threats are probably Returnal for PS5 and Pokemon Snap for the Switch. I also see that for some people arcade soccer games might not be arcadey enough, so now you can have Super Arcade Soccer, which will no doubt me super arcadey. Also, it looks like Total War: Rome is getting remastered, I guess? I’ve never played the Total War series, so I don’t know if that’s a wallet threat for people.

Tuesday, April 27

• Ladders by POWGI | PS5, PS4
  • Death end re;Quest | Switch

Wednesday, April 28

• Crime Opera: The Butterfly Effect | Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch
  • Second Extinction | Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One
  • Ladders by POWGI | Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One
  • Genshin Impact | PS5
  • Cymatically Muffed | Xbox One
  • Taiwan Monster Fruit: Prologue | Switch
  • GRISAIA PHANTOM TRIGGER 01 to 05 | Switch
  • Car Demolition Clicker | Switch
  • Skeletal Avenger | PC

Thursday, April 29

• Secret Neighbor | PS4
  • Legend of Keepers | Switch, PC, Mac
  • Before I Forget | Xbox Series X, Xbox One, Switch
  • Total War: Rome Remastered | PC, Mac
  • Insurmountable | PC
  • Farm Manager 2021 | PC
  • Ladders by POWGI | Switch
  • WarDogs: Red’s Return | Xbox One
  • Battle Axe | Switch
  • Slinki | Switch
  • Space Warrior | Switch
  • Fly Together! | Switch
  • 世界の中心で、AIは戦う | Switch
  • Reknum Cheri Dreamland | Switch
  • Legend of Keepers: Career of a Dungeon Manager | Switch
  • Castaway Paradise | Switch
  • Super Glitch Dash | Switch

Friday, April 30

• Protocol | Xbox One
  • Terminator Resistance | PS5
  • R-Type Final 2 | Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PS4, Switch, PC
  • Angels with Scaly Wings | PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch
  • Borris the Rocket | Xbox One
  • Returnal | PS5
  • Mystic Fate | Xbox One
  • New Pokemon Snap | Switch
  • Ultimate Custom Night | Switch
  • Super Arcade Soccer | Switch

Hell yes its a wallet threat - I am in day one! Cannot wait to get back into this - and half price since I already own the original on Steam.

I am keen too, but I will let you be the guinea pig as I see the offer runs until 1 June.

Seems to be a more tycoon/management style version of Farming Simulator, which I’d definitely be up for. But the user reviews for the demo version are not great. So, yellow I guess.

This looks like a little wonder.

It just got out on xbox, will be or on switch and ps4 on Tuesday, and on Steam on the 30th

I have R-TYPE Final 2 preordered. I ended up going for the Xbox One version because I expect it’ll run better than Switch and because it offers Smart Delivery.

New Pokémon Snap is a wallet threat as well, but I can really only get one new game right now, so it’ll be the one I already have preordered.

Yeah I just might have to throw down some money for R-Type Final 2. I put in so many hours into the first final (not to mention all the others).

The design of that first level in the demo was extremely impressive, but the Switch seemed quite out of its league indeed.
Also the subtle shaming on death was not quite my taste!

I played the demo. It’s very limited, but shows some promise. Hard to tell exactly how involved it’s going to get though. Economy doesn’t seem all that much more involved than Farming Simulator, though seasons are in the base game. It definitely doesn’t seem to have the range of equipment that FS does, but that’s not a dealbreaker for me.

Speaking of, shouldn’t there be a Farming Simulator release this year? They do every other year on odd years, but I haven’t seen anything on it.

They just announced it last week I think. No real details other than seasons will be incorporated. 4Q21 release date.

And here’s a summary from one of the big FS streamers:

Having looked at this, it seems like a game I will jump on board for its promise (the promise in my head at least) and then be quickly disappointed after 27 minutes of gameplay and never start it up again. That said, the EA reviews seem positive, so maybe…a month ago when I had no PC and only the Switch, it probably would have been a day one purchase. Now that I have access to Steam again, there are a dozen games I want to buy and play right now all in the strategy/rpg/tactics/roguelike space. Now I am paralyzed as to which ones to buy. :)