Wallet Threat Level

TMNT was a legend in the arcades. The bigger surprise is that even people younger than us seem to have a lot of nostalgia. I guess it’s the SNES port?

I’m in my 40s and to me, it’s always been a franchise for the kids younger than me. I’m surprised it’s still thought of fondly by those, be it those pretty terrible console games, those deeply dumb movies (I got exposed to one in my movie club last year, and it was so bad… and all those grownups seemed so happy to see it!), or those aggravating American animes.
I’d never have thought to see this, incomprehensible to me, nostalgia, on display in those forums!

I think everyone realizes old beat 'em ups feel pretty simplistic mechanically. One of the younger YouTube reviewers even admitted that. The trick is capturing that nostalgia while also making a good modern game.

Early reports imply there’s a little less depth than Streets of Rage 4 combat. I’ve skimmed through some of the new options and I think they’ll be sufficient.

This might be sacrilegious, but I almost never like the look of Slitherine games even though I love the genres they make.

Oh I love my King of Dragons (which I have yet to 1cc), but the TMNT games I remember were not pleasant. I never was fond of the Konami beat-em-ups of the early 90s, as they tried too much to spice things up for the sake of it, while not offering the simple, fundamental weight of a good punch on a good sprite to me.

Digression: the NES games are a whole other level. I remember them being very much lauded at the time, by both the magazines and the players. I finally tried to play the first game a few years back and it was a strong concentrate of player-griefing as I’ve ever seen. Having played more of the then-popular American NES games of the time, it seems it was a peculiar requirement of that period, one that is acknowledged retrospectively.

Re Starship Troopers, @lordkosc is in the beta so I’m looking forward to his comments once it releases today/tomorrow.

Yeah the beta Ended, but it was NDA’d so I am not sure if or when I can say anything. :)

I myself am going to wait for reviews, that give a better summary of the overall game, and probably a sale.

Man, who knew this week would have so many well reviewed games?

Deathrun TV is a twin-stick shooter, of which there are many. But it’s a twin-stick created by Laser Dog Games, a micro-studio with a knack for making games that just feel really good. Whether it’s the inverted controls of ALONE, which drew you into its world of racing spaceships with unexpected force, or the smooth back-and-forth movement of Catchee, the team’s recent iOS charmer, which also features one of the greatest theme tunes ever written, this is an outfit that knows that the details count.

Which suits twin-sticks brilliantly, because at their best these games are all details.

I haven’t heard of this team or their other games either, maybe I need to check them out. The game seems to be on both Epic and Steam on PC, and there’s a demo on Steam, but the Epic version is on sale.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/deathrun-tv-db074f

I’ll try to check out the demo tonight if I get time. I do have a soft spot for good twin stick shooters.

Some games coming to Game Pass this week, like the Shadowrun Trilogy, and that weird anime looking brawler that’s a battle royale too. I don’t see any real wallet threats. However, Steam Next Fest continues, and Xbox now has its own demos to try to incite you in the future. So be sure to check out some demos this week.

Monday (6/20/22):​

• Summoners Fate (PC)

Tuesday (6/21/22):​

• Wreckfest (Switch)
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Shadowrun Trilogy (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Planet Zoo: Conservation Pack (PC)
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: High Isle (PS5, PS4)
  • Anvil Saga (PC)
  • Good Company (PC)

Wednesday (6/22/22):​

• Firegirl: Hack 'n Splash Rescue DX (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)

Thursday (6/23/22):​

• Sonic Origins (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch, PC)
  • Deliver Us The Moon (PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Naraka: Bladepoint (Xbox Series X/S)
  • Blade Runner Enhanced Edition (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC)

Friday (6/24/22):​

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Switch)
  • Capcom Fighting Collection (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
  • AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative (PC, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Madison (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4)
  • Pocky & Rocky Reshrined (PS4, Switch)

AI: The Somnium Files: nirvanA Initiative is a massive wallet threat if you liked the first game.

Pocky & Rocky Reshrined is only $30, or else it’d be a full-sized wallet threat for shmup fans.

The first AI: Somnium Files is still on Game Pass I think. I should give that a try.

It’s weird as hell, but worth a look.

I added this to the list. Apparently Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition, as mentioned in the Nintendo Switch thread, is coming to all platforms this Thursday.

Hopefully it’s a substantial remaster, at least. Interested to see how well AI upscaling works on the environments.

You don’t even buy games anymore!

So its another modern Smash TV? I think this is the third one :)

Not too many big releases this week. Wallets are still under threat this week via DLC though.

Tuesday (6/28/22):​

• FOBIA - St. Dinfna Hotel (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)
  • MX vs ATV Legends (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)
  • DNF Duel (PS5, PS4, PC)
  • Disgaea 6 (PS5, PS4, PC)

Thursday (6/30/22):​

• Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course DLC (PC, XBO, Switch)
  • The Galactic Junkers (PC, PS4, XBO)
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak DLC (Switch, PC)
  • Outriders Worldslayer (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)

Friday (7/1/22):​

• F1 2022 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)

Sunbreak is the big one for me (not a wallet threat though, since I pre-ordered it), but Disgaea 6 might interest me eventually. We’ll see.

So, by this you mean you already paid for it, therefore it doesn’t count as being a wallet threat this week? Or do you mean you’ll be charged this week for it when it releases, but it doesn’t count as a wallet threat because you made the decision long ago and the mental decision is what counts, not the actual withdrawal of funds?

I mean it was paid for a month or so ago, so it’s not a threat to my wallet this week because it would have been a month or so ago if I hadn’t received it as a birthday gift. :D