Warcraft 3 Reforged - HD remake

Amen!

Ars goes wtf as well

Apparently even single player saves are apparently also tied to being online now, and saves are different between “classic” and “reforged.”

Ugh, thats a long list of problems and failures. Is not 4 o 5 things.

I get that they’re different things, but the Starcraft remaster was like a million times better than this. They should have taken the same approach.

Starcraft was 2d though, probably made it easier.

But I still think Warcraft 3 Reforged should have had the same love and attention,(and higher price) given to it that other AAA remakes got, like last Year’s GOTY Resident Evil 2 remake, Nintendo’s efforts with Link’s Awakening & Windwaker, or even the latest Age of Empires 2 remake.

I’m bitter about this game turning out so poorly, but I’m especially bitter that they went and fucked up the classic version I already own. I want this game to be a AAA remake experience, even if it costs a AAA remake price. Right now it’s a budget title with bargain bin redesign and QA.

If Blizzard wants to fuck up the remaster, then whatever. I don’t really need it. I’d have liked for it to be good, but I’d be in it for nostalgia more than anything.

What’s unforgivable is fucking up the classic version with this mess. All it required is for you to not fuck with it Blizzard, but you just couldn’t leave it alone. Idiots.

Most of the problems aren’t even related to graphical assets.
They are absurd design decisions, programming bugs, etc.

Are you kidding me? In a remaster released in 2020?!?! The AOE2 DE works just great in ultrawide and that’s a game originally from 1999.

I’m sure it’s super different from a graphics perspective. I’m talking more about how the Starcraft remaster is like a… layer, I guess, for lack of a better word, over the top of the original game. So you could still view old replays, people on different versions could still play the same multiplayer, and stuff like that.

This is just like boneheaded decision after boneheaded decision that screwed up a beloved classic that no one has the option to play again (at least through normal channels).

If I had to guess, the legal theory would be that any mods created using WC3 assets (game code, art, scripting language, etc.) are derivative works that can be distributed only with the consent of the original copyright holder, i.e., ActiBlizz. It’s one thing to create a derivative work from someone else’s IP and not distribute it, or to post your fanfic on usenet, but if you want to use Blizzard’s official distribution network, that is a “publication” for purposes of copyright law.

And Blizzard’s price for authorizing and effectuating the author’s publication of the derivative work in question is full ownership of that same derivative work. Not an attractive deal, but likely a legally sound contractual quid pro quo.

Ex: I can’t publish my own Harry Potter sequel e-book on Amazon, that would be an unauthorized derivative work, and I’d promptly get sued and forced to disgorge any profits I’d made. However, if I post the same work as HP fanfic on a message board, that’s a non-commercial use with no real damages to pursue, so it’s generally not worth the IP owner’s time to track me down, issue a C&D letter, and try to recover allegedly lost profits.

IIRC, Blizzard does not allow ultrawide support in any of their competitive online RTS/MOBA game under the theory that it is an arguable competitive advantage to have a bigger view of the playing field. They have UW support for WoW, though.

Wow, that is the most Blizzard thing ever. That literally made me laugh out loud.

If this all knocks Blizzard down a notch and they finally bring their games to steam, maybe it was worth it.

Sabotaging the 2018 copy of War3 is what pisses me off.

0.5 (out of 10) average from over 18,000 reviews lol.

It certainly takes something to get literally the lowest user metacritic score, and by nearly half a point from the runner up too!

Beats out notable PR success Battlefront 2 (1.3), original FF14 (1.7), and quite a few other traditionally bad games.

Best description I read was that Blizzard managed to unfinish a 17 year finished game

It broke and crippled the working non-Reforged client, replacing it.

Journalist are not going to update the score of the game but is rendered outdated by this

The game used to know has “warcraft 3” not longer exist

Fucking rats

Good things compilers and word processors don’t do that

It would be like Wacom or Borlands claiming omnership of every software compiled with their C++ compiler (compilers include a small intilization code so even a empty progra-cpp file is like 400KB in size) or microsoft claiming ownership of every word document using microsoft owned fonts

And the Corporations war against private property continues

You know corporations are private entities right. This is Blizzard asserting control over a productive asset and the products that derive therefrom. Literally capitalism.

While is correct that they are working on a capitalist enviroment is also true that the objetive is to destroy private property

You bought the game? you don’t own it - you own a license to it
You made a mod on your free time? we own it - you own nothing

The objetive is to convert single payments into recurring payments - destroying private property is how they do it

making mods can be similiar to writting novels in a typewritter or making music in a piano but the makers of the typewritter or piano are not asking for ownership of the pieces created with “their” property