What the.... Hellgate: London returns

Hopefully, it won’t be remodelled to feature small girls as heroes like so many japanese / korean games seems to be.

And every guy looking like your sister, I hope not.

Wait where did you find it for a buck?

Ah never mind I found a few copies on Amazon.

Amazon used market. It was like $1.25 before shipping.

I missed something. Where did you get the dollar copy?

So that version I assume is different from the one that is going F2P? I ask because you can actually dl the client now although I believe that you cannot play until you get a key.

Not really sure, looking at work so I cannot dl until I get home.

When I was looking at the site before I didn’t even see a place to sign up for the beta did they change that?

That revival mod looks pretty good, now where the hell did I put my disks…

:|

http://hellgate.t3fun.com/home/home.aspx

Just signed up.

I also signed up and applied, I guess I got in?

OK I also signed up and got the same dialog which means I am in the beta June 3 when it starts. Awesome.

Uhhh, I don’t know. I was in the alpha/beta for Hg:L and that worked well enough to convince me not to buy the game at release. I don’t think I want to try it again. It had a bunch of positives, but now I’ve moved on and don’t need to step back into it.

Isn’t the beta like all of 5 days or something? Better to just let other sucke. . . ahem, players, try the game out and iron out the major bugs.

Besides, that beta entry message looks like one of those cut-from-magazines ransom notes.

You make Hellgate sound like an ex-girlfriend. ;)

Anyway, I’ve been playing it the past few weeks, single-player, mind you, and it is certainly a very underrated game at this point and very much worth playing. I think gamers simply had unrealistic expectations for the game – that and the fact that the subscription model was quite a mess, really killed the hype for the game. But that’s in the past. I would highly recommend this game to anyone.

I don’t know, I was there at the first launch and I think my expectations forpost-1995 inventory management, chat system and other things we had grown to expect in modern (at the time) games was spot on. The gameplay itself wasn’t bad but the dialog, and thrown in weird sequences like the RTS and turret ones were awful. It certainly had potential and I hope it is reborn into something great.

You cannot compare a game at the end of its life to a game at launch and then say that gamer’s expectations were unrealistic.

Hellgate at launch was clearly a game that was literally still in development as it launched. Multiplayer assets, chat system, better later levels, were all being created as the game launched.

As I mentioned above, the core game concept is great. The implementation, especially early on, was terrible.

I’ve only played the unpatched single-player version of the game and it’s fine. I haven’t encountered any major flaws. Sure, I could nitpick about numerous things, but I can do that about any game.

The chat system was really bad at launch and shortly after they pushed throgh some patch that broke it for A LONG TIME.

the social functions in general were just horrible and I don’t think they ever got fixed.

The writing was perhaps one of the biggest problems with the game. Pre release everything, including the trailers and hype, suggested that the game would be serious and have a serious plot/setting, but then after release… Every npc is like some reject from SNL. You go to the theater to see batman returns and instead it is Dude Wheres my car.

Not to mention at release many skills were unbalanced and/or broken, and even if they worked, many weren’t explained much at all. Add that to no respecs (later added if i remember right) and you have a recipe for extreme frustration.

The much hyped random level generator was also a failure, producing easily recognized level variations that people playing for more than a week could easily recognize and predict where key locations are accurately.

Still, it was pretty fun and the mod fix pack mentioned earlier did make it more fun when i tried it a few months ago.

You’re playing with zero patches? Not even the two (IIRC) official single player patches?

Why would you do that? As a test of how HGL was at launch? As support for posting that players had unreasonable expectations?

Exactly this! All the previews pictured a dark desperate battle for survival. Instead most of the hubs were bright and cheery (there was one embattled one, with troops, sandbags/fortifications, and random attacks but it was the only one). And like you said, the NPC’s were rarely serious, cracking very bad jokes, etc. which were repeated again and again. I remember one female vendor who every time you visited her to buy something said, “Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just excited to see me?” They finally removed some of the stupid dialogue due to player complaints but then you were left with just “Want to buy something?” And a number of the quests tried to inject far too much humor into the game. There was one where you tried to help a guy with his romance, and part of the main quest was pretty silly with a couple of dumb idiotic characters.

They never created the world they seemed to promise.