When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Those 8800 cards deserve a place in the graphics card HOF.

Man, 2006 was when they came out.

I had the 8800GT, which was the generally acknowledged ā€œbest bang for your buckā€ card back when. I think it was replaced by a 260 (which was one long-ass card, sheesh. I had to do contortions to get it in my Antec Sonata case at the time).

Could this be true? Have we reached the end of the mining frenzy?

[crosses fingers] Iā€™ll be fine with my 1070 FE for a good while yet, I imagine, but I know I canā€™t hold out forever.

I bought a brand new Dell years ago (was it 2006? edit: Nope. 2008.) that came with a 260, and when I opened it up, I was very pleased to see that Dell had designed a simple special support device that ran the entire length of the card and case to keep the card from sagging. I imagine it also worked to keep the card from coming loose during shipping. It worked very well, and was very easy to remove, although it became useless when I upgraded to the 460 later on.

I suggest starting a new topic about the next gen cards (with names in the title, even) rather than having this be the ā€œnext new gpuā€ topic forevermore.

I suggest your FACE

(welcoming atmosphere: engaged!)

Not sure if serious?

This thread works because CPUs drop so frequently.

Why would water cooling make a difference in ambient room temperature? Unless youā€™re piping the water underground or somethingā€¦

Iā€™d expect water at, say, 85F to be a better cooling medium than air at 85F, just because of specific heat.

From my experience, it feels like the air in Florida is already 98% water so it might not make a difference.

Fair! When I was a little kid, my parents took the family on a trip to Florida to see someoneā€™s cousin or other. We got out of the airport, and Iā€™m told I asked something like, ā€œWhatā€™s wrong with the air?ā€

Thatā€™s what air conditioning is for. Just make sure the drain tube connected to your air handler is free of debris and let all that water come out of the little pipe. Itā€™s a lot of water. Because Florida may have a tiny bit of a humidity problem.

Oh, and donā€™t go outside.

Good advice for Arizona as well where we have no humidity, but will subject you to 115 degrees or more during the summer.

Man, every time you guys bump this topic I get my hopes up that GPUs are finally priced properlyā€¦ and then I see this.

It looks like it is getting somewhat better. Right now newegg has the 1070 going for $499 and I bought mine for $445. EVGA seems to have that same $499 price.

Iā€™ve kind of been leaning towards the 1080ti. The few I know who got that for their new builds paid around 700-800, currently those are well over 1k it seems. Then there is the price of RAM. At this rate my new system will be two years out. Iā€™m not paying extreme prices to replace my old machineā€¦

Iā€™m hoping I will be able to snag a 11xx card when they come out if the wccftech rumors are true.

ooh, ooh youā€™re killing me. How soon are those supposed come out but again wouldnā€™t the cypto group just suck up the supply, again and dump their overused stuff?

The rumor article on wccftech suggests this summer, but Iā€™d take that with a grain of salt. Another article there is talking about a huge plunge in demand for aib manufacturers this month, and they think miners might be waiting for some new asic systems coming later this year, again to be taken with a grain oā€™ salt. :)