When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Old cards won’t go on discount due to new cards, the GPU manufacturers have figured out supply to the point that the old stuff rolls out of inventory right as the new stuff rolls in.

Unless you want to buy used off eBay from a dude who is swapping to the new hotness. Only problem with that is miners now make used cards a gamble. Probably better than eBay would be a hardware swapping/trading/buy/sell enthusiast site. I think there’s a good subreddit?

Wouldn’t it be cool if the new cards were somehow gimped for mining, driving up the price for old cards, so everyone with an older card could sell it for a stupid amount of money and buy themselves a new one with money left over?

I’ve been waiting for awhile to build my new system, partially due to the GPU and RAM prices, but my understanding is they don’t have to gimp new cards but there are supposed to be better cards out there for mining already or soon… and it’s not the same cards the gamers want.

I did see one of these mining specific motherboards and those look… weird.

Or maybe not.

I mean why push out new tech, when stuff from 2 years ago is selling again now that it is in stock at MSRP.

On the other hand, would a CEO say anything else, before the company officially begins their marketing campaign? No need to gut current 10XX sales.

While I suppose that’s possible, it’s not the vibe I get from the various hardware sites. And tricking folks into buying current gen by lying about when the next gen GPU’s are coming is just a terrible PR move.

I suspect this, as well as the fact that nothing can really even benefit from next-gen GPU’s, is the real culprit here. Honestly, with a 1080Ti you can get 60fps on almost any modern, high-end game @4k. Realistically, what more could we even want at this point in the cycle?

Well, 144fps at 4k. With HDR.

The problem is that AMD products don’t compete at the high-end. The Vega64 just barely matches a 1080, but consumes a ton more power, and AMD has nothing to compete with the 1080ti.

Yeah, companies never announce a new product until they are ready to ramp up sales for it.

I know we don’t. Up until the date of the announcement, our sales, support, and other customer-facing employees are instructed to say something along the lines of “It’s being worked on, but won’t be for a while yet”. Then of course, 3 days later we announce.

No idea what’s the case with the 11XX series cards, but I would have been shocked if he said “It’s soon!” or “Wait for next month, you’ll be happy”. There are very important marketing plans put into place for how and when to announce a new series of cards.

I didn’t bring this up because the technology isn’t really here just yet as far as I have seen (which was a few months ago, to be fair) and even if it is or will be soon/over the summer (which I think is true) it’s going to be like $2k just for a display capable of such feats, and so your sale base is very limited, more so even than normal. I would imagine even hard core gamers thinking twice before dropping $800 on an 1180 FTW and $2,000 on a 144hz/4K display that can pull HDR off.

I myself would love such a thing, but I can also get 4K/HDR with my PS4 Pro and have been for over a year now on my Samsung TV. It’s great, but … maybe not $3k great. I’m mostly a PC gamer, and love to adopt early with this stuff, but even I have my limits.

I don’t have the interest to look this up, but I’m almost sure that was the line we got when the 1080’s were coming, literally lines of “don’t buy 980 Ti, wait for the 1080” - it may not have been official though, perhaps it was on YouTube videos I was watching from tech conferences, but that was definitively a sentiment that is glaringly absent this summer from all directions. At least so far.

I don’t recall that series released, so you could be right! While I’m not reading too much into his statement, it still means I’m where I’ve been at for months: having no damn clue when the next gen is out. :)

I’m personally well pleased they are holding off. It means I can still near the top of the hill for a bit longer. :)

Sucks for me. I was going to buy a 1080ti but kept waffling and then the miner boom took off and I just decided to wait for the next gen.

Not a huge deal, outside of VR for me. My 970s are fine for 1080p. The next gen isn’t looking to be a barn buster either so that’s disappointing as well.

That’s probably because barn has long since been busted. We need a new barn.

144Hz 4k freesync/g-sync HDR displays are coming, and prices will drop over time.

Indeed. And by then, I imagine these cards will be available. I’m not really convinced HDR will really need more GPU processing than what we currently have, I wouldn’t be surprised if a 1080/1080 Ti can handle an HDR 4K display quite well. In fact, I think I’ll just assume that until proven wrong! :)

Don’t know if HDR does, but 144Hz definitely needs more juice than a 1080ti can provide for more intensive games.

Umm, sorry about the thumbnail. I want to punch him too.

It looks like someone just did!