When do the next generation GPUs drop?

It’s important that I don’t mean to make the RAMDisk for each game as you start it, but if you play the same game for a bit, like a week at a time or more, then you load it in there once and keep going back to it. The script for when you “start” is for when you restart windows, which isn’t very often, or switch the game.

Maybe I should do a proof of concept.

Since we are going on a slight build tangent, I’ll continue. Right now my rig is rocking a RX 480 with a 460W PSU. If I upgrade to 1080/Ti (a man can dream) I need a bigger PSU, the recommended wattage I read is at least 700W. The most powerful card that can safely go with 460W is 1070 (not even Ti). Does that sound right? Can I get away with sticking a 1070Ti in my rig? I’m looking for rock solid stability, and I don’t overclock.

I’m curious too. I was thinking 550 or 600 watts for a 1080, maybe not enough? I’ll probably go bronze.

It depends what the rest of your components are but 600W with a 80%+ efficiency PSU should be fine.

I’m configuring an Alienware (we got one from Best Buy for my SO last year, and it’s been great). I’m currently using a Nvidia 660 GTX and just haven’t upgraded (haven’t needed to as I’ve not purchased any games that required it), but that might change soon. I don’t do self builds any longer, and I don’t want to spend any more than $1700.

That in mind, I can upgrade from a 1070 to a 1070 TI for $30, or from a 1070 to a 1080 GTX for $100 (the 1080 TI is out of the equation.) I don’t have a monitor that can take advantage of those cards yet, maybe next year. Anyway, the $100 worth the upgrade?

Oh I googled someone’s experience on this with 460W. I happened to have the Aurora in question so it is double plus relevant to me. The short answer is officially yes, but on the safe side no.

That’s too bad. Have had (still have, actually) Zotac cards and nary an issue.

My 1080TI is using a 620W Bronze level PSU, no issues with that at all.

Yup.

Using ImDisk from Tools and utilities for Windows

GPEdit.MSC I set Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Scripts (Startup & Shutdown) to run
C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup\Ramdisk.bat

Script
@echo off
set RamDrive=R:
set RamSize=4000M
if not exist %RamDrive% imdisk -a -s %RamSize% -m %RamDrive% -p "/v:RAMDISK /fs:ntfs /q /y"
if exist "%RamDrive%\TEMP" rmdir "%RamDrive%\TEMP" /S /Q
if exist "d:\temp" rmdir "d:\temp" /S /Q
mkdir "R:\TEMP"
mkdir "R:\temp\tmp"
mklink /J "d:\temp" "%RamDrive%\temp"
:EOF
:exit

D:\Temp and D:\Temp\Tmp are the System/User environment variables for “TEMP” and “TMP”.
Only time this fails is when some of the more shitty Windows Update installers need this folder to remain after reboot, then I run another script that changes the “temp” folder to a normal folder before I reboot/patch and switch it back to the ramdisk one again.

When it comes to Ramdisk for games I currently run two:

On one of my SSD’s i have:

Then I run:

imdisk -a -t vm -f "E:\_Images\Games\LOTRO.img" -m V:

To load “V:” drive for LOTRO and if there’s a patch I run

echo Press Enter to Save Image from V: to E:\_Images\Games
Pause
rawcopy -mlds \\.\V: "E:\_Images\games\LOTRO.img"
Echo Press Enter to Dismount V:
pause
imdisk -d -m V:

To save and close down after exiting the game.

I’ve got the Aurora R5 (i7 6700) with the 1070 FE and the 460 watt PSU. Bought it off the shelf two years ago without checking any of the PSU specs first. Got it home and opened it up, and was shocked to see a 460 in there running everything. But to its credit, it’s been rock-solid reliable all this time, and running everything I throw at it, so I haven’t felt the need to upgrade anything. None of the high-speed fan problems others have reported either. Maybe I just got lucky. It’s been a great PC.

Finally!

I’ve seen several stories like that recently and they always irk me because of the breathless and excited way that they discuss how prices have “dropped” or “slumped” down to . . . MSRP. Yeah, the craziness is maybe passing but being able to buy a 1080/1070 (2+ year old tech) at MSRP is not a good deal.

Seems pretty certain 11 series will drop at Gamescom.

Yep , prices dropping substantially on GTX1080s now. $429!

Nice, that is what I paid for the 1070 at launch I think. Really hoping the rumors are true about the announcement and the leaked dates of the 1180 launching at the end of the month.

Yeah, that’s how you know the rumors are true. 1160 will rumoredly beat a 1080 in October for like $300.

nVidia introducing their ray-tracing GPU thingy, RTX.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13215/nvidia-siggraph-2018-keynote-live-blog-4pm-pacific

Nvidia apparently teasing that RTX 2080 is coming next week.

Well, they’re announcing it next week. Availability will likely follow a few months later.

Rumor sites think it is shipping at the end of the month