When do the next generation GPUs drop?

970 smokes 1080p, and is a capable 1440p card, but not at 60fps and ultra settings.

1070 smokes 1440p, but isn’t a capable 4k card unless you can handle 30fps and medium-low settings.

Jesus. Where do you find a case big enough to hold that thing?

My 970 is fine for my 1080p monitor right now. I do want a better monitor (mine is somewhat older tech) in the near to mid future, though.

Yes, I use my 1070 at 1440p. I tried it on my 4k monitor, but in the end went back to the 1440p.

Yep, for 4k you will want a 1080ti, or shortly a 2080. But at the distance we typically sit from computer monitors, gotta say, 1440p looks hella-sharp in moving content like videogames. I have a 5k 27" monitor at work, and it’s razor sharp for text, definitely can tell the difference there, but watching movies? The 1440p monitor I have sitting on the right looks just as good.

We need to stop focusing on render resolution and look towards image quality. HDR is a huge improvement, immediately noticeable. Ambient occlusion just looks so much more real. The raytracing stuff in RTX looks amazing, takes shadowing to the next level, aids immersion tremendously. That’s what matters.

Edit: Also variable refresh matters, stuttering feels awful. Dynamic resolution helps a lot with stabilizing frametimes, tech designed for consoles needs to come to more PC games too.

My only desire to move to the 4k is that it is so much nicer for work and if I could use it for both it would be nice. I will be getting a 2080 by the end of the year, if it possible to find one at that point.

You can of course get a 4k monitor and just play your games at 1080p or 1440p. 1080p is per-pixel perfect; 1440p isn’t but again, in a game, who cares? You’ll never notice.

I need to try it again, but it always felt off when I’d try to run something at 1440p on the 4k.

Well sure, if you do an A/B comparison you can see it. The difference is not imperceptible.

I personally haven’t noticed any difference with 1440p upscaled to 4k vs native 4k in Monster Hunter. If I go looking for things I’m sure I can find something. On the other hand 1440p upscaled lets me play with settings higher so for me it seems to be a net win.

On one of the GamerNexus videos they mentioned talking with partners and hearing that the profit margin on RTX cards is less than 3% in some cases. If true then RTX is crazy expensive to produce (which isn’t surprising due to die size) and there probably won’t be price drops for a good while.

Yeah, I expect the GTX2060 (note: not RTX) to be a rebadged 1070ti if we’re lucky, or just a plain rebadged 1070 if not. That’s where they’ll make their money.

I don’t expect the 1080 or 1080ti to be rebadged, as the GDDR5X is too expensive and the 1080ti die is too large. They’ll just go away.

I also don’t expect them to come out with a with a 2060 and below until AMD starts showing their Navi hand some.

I do, releasing a new SKU leads to sales. The 2060 will be cheaper than the 1070 or 1070ti was.

Super Mid Tower Case. ;)

20.7” (H) x 9.1” (W) x 22.1” (D)

http://store.antec.com/performance-series/p280.html

Wondering if I had some setting screwed up on the 4k monitor last time. Looks okay now.

sigh

980ti smokes QHD, no need to upgrade. Better price/performance/features will determine upgrades. My old man eyes can’t discern 4k vs QHD. Ray tracing support is not mature, not worth the cost.

My current enclosure is the p280. Had the p182 and p183 before it. Even then, I had some cards that just fit. Roomy but still pays to check.

What price point would you expect a GTX 2060 to be out at? Wasn’t the 1060’s MSRP $200? Right now 1070’s are selling for $380, so they’d have to sell 1070 performance for quite low to hit the same 1060 market segment.

Also, both Nvidia executives and AIB partners have made statements that the current GTX lines (at least up to 1070 ti) will live alongside RTX, at least for this holiday season. So that makes me think 2060 isn’t out until at least q1 19.

The 1060 launched at $250, so I would expect the 2060 MSRP to be $299, and overclocked AIB models you actually end up buying selling for $320 or so. Just my guess, of course.