When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I don’t think there is much draw anymore really, so few games work well with SLI, its more headache than anything.

Back in the Voodoo 2 days, SLI was the shit.

Will it support nvlink instead?

Isn’t SLI and NVLink the same thing? Just a new fancy name?

So apparently my 2080Ti preorder is now shipping October 5th. I wonder if something was wrong with the first batch of FE cards.

But it’s ray tracing

Not quite.

NVLink is more capable than SLI.

Nice blog about the NVlink interconnect technology:

I think the theory is that if you bought a high end card (like a 980ti) many years ago you could (in theory) get a good performance boost today by buying buy a 980ti for $200 or so on an EVGA b-stock sale (or a used one).

Looking at how much an nvlink bridge costs ($600) it makes sense that the 2070 doesn’t have support.

Lolwut! There is no way they extend that pricing to thier consumer range of cards, right? The RTX must use a ‘different’ cough bridge better priced for the consumer segment, surely?

Not sure there is a consumer segment that would link 2 $1200 cards.

There is, it’s called the e-peen segment. Mostly seen around hardware forums, surrounded by benchmark graphs.

Yeah, this pretty much. People for whom money is no object and want to biggest, most awesome pc they can get. It’s main target initially anyways was the quadro line, where you are spending thousands on a card.

If you’re going to spend 13k on a PC, what’s another 600 dollars? They don’t call them Dream Machines for nothing,except for some it’s a reality not a dream.

Am I missing something? The nvlink bridge is $80 on Nvidia’s site.

You’re right for the 2080 cards it looks like they have an $80 version. They are just gouging the quadro buyers for the $599.

That makes more sense. Most likely the $600 version has much higher bandwidth, which would be required for compute heavy workloads.

There’s a massive gulf between consumer and professional markets, so that’s not surprising in the least.

No 2080 Ti FE date yet for me, AFAICT. Nvidia order status is still ‘Order Received’.

My card arrived yesterday evening, I had time to unpack it from the Amazon box so far and snap a picture, heh. I’ll install it on Friday.