When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Unfortunately Navi is too far out. AMD is releasing another polaris refresh, probably call it the 680 at the high-end and wring another 10% performance out of it. But that’s still less than a GTX1070.

Yeah, that’s why I have my doubts that they’ll be able to capitalize. But, man, is the opportunity there now or what? The prices on the 2080ti are absurd, and that’s the only card that would offer me a reason to upgrade.

This would be the ideal time for the likes of Intel to step in and offer a powerful 1080 level solution that’s built onto their motherboards with low power draw, but that would never happen.

I’d expect the 680 cards from AMD to be able to melt though the earth. My friend had a RX580 that he had constant temp issues with for the few months he kept it. I remember him telling me it was reporting temps of over 90c . Heh.

Another good read regarding DLSS:

So are people saying that if you want a new video card to replace, say, a 9xx card, your only choice is going to be spending at least $700-800?

No, you should be able to find a RTX2070 next month for $600.

@Stusser can correct me, but I think the Founders editions are the early bird price for $100 extra, with a minor performance boost over the upcoming cheaper stock to make it ‘worth it’ at least to those of us that are crazy :). So the upcoming RTX 2070 will have a price founders edition of $600, but after a few months it will be down to $500 stock.

During that few months, we should see prices of $580, then $560, etc. It’s almost like they’ve taken charge of the initial release hype and turned it into revenue… smart from a business perspective at least.

The 580 is just a 480 with added voltage and clockspeeds so yeah, it ran hot. Rumors are the new polaris chips will be a smaller process which should help with that.

Founders’ are +$100, yes. But going from the 10-series launch, which did the same thing, most AIB cards with factory overclocks started around the Founders pricing. So I wouldn’t count on that dropping.

Then again the 10-series was a HUGE success, and it looks like the 20 is a dud.

The 2080’s would be probably doing way better sales-wise if you know… you could use DLSS and or RTX features like today.

GJ Nvidia.

Anyways, I can’t wait to get my card installed on Friday.

Yes, if a single AAA+ title like Tomb Raider was out implementing DLSS and showing massively improved performance at the same or better image quality, that would be a much better argument to buy one of the things.

If, for example, the 2080 could play Tomb Raider at 4k high quality with DLSS locked at 60fps, and at <50fps without DLSS, that would actually mean something.

nods intensely

Six hundred clams is still…a lot. It seems there isn’t much attention being paid to the mid-level stuff, or is this stuff supposed to be mid-level? I was kinda used to spending maybe $400 or less on a mid-range card. Oy.

Ok this was a bit amusing. :)

I wouldn’t even mind paying $700 for a card if I thought it would last for 5+ years, but there’s so much 1.0 technology on the 20x0 cards. I’d rather wait for the next iteration, especially if ray-tracing really does have performance problems.

I remember when $300 was the high end. Either I’m old or this market is out of control.

Why not both?

I set ‘em up. You guys knock ‘em down! Bravo! 👏🏻

In fairness to Nvidia, they have basically a unicorn this generation. There is no where else to go for 4K / 120Hz thereabouts and now’s a good time for them to release such a card so they can re-coup their R and D more quickly.

Lowly me, I’m only at 1440p and have a willingness to select ‘high’ graphics settings, instead of ‘ultra (mostly useless benchmark for e-peen measurement)’ graphics setting.

But I want the 2060 already, I’ve asked this before but is it going to be $400 or $300?

This generation, any card you want will cost what you expect +$200.

I haven’t actually seen any sites confirm the 2060 will have RTX features.