When do you break it to a girl that you're a dork?

Not true, it’s my understanding that Archimedes was quite fond of them.

And what better way to let a woman know you’re a dork than with pickup lines based on classic Greek thinkers?

Philosopher: Excuse me, do you have an immovable place to stand?
Philosopher: Because i have a lever of sufficient length, if you know what i mean.
Philosopher: And I’d like to make you feel the earth move.

No that’s her. I haven’t been off WoW for that long.

You know because the player tag reverts to the default name of the character, suddenly Pogo changes to Zoey, and everybody starts bitching about the AI.

H.

My wife’s no gamer, but she has a terrible taste in television, so we can easily strike a truce there - also she’s not opposed to gaming and sometimes play a little… there’s just a bunch of stuff she’d rather do.

But she likes that I game with the kids, pick up the games, so she doesn’y accidently buy them crp and that I get a lot of games for free (reviewer) and money as well, so the potentially expensive hobby of me and our kids is selfcontained (and bought the second flatscreen tv and Blu-ray player)

I like the part where you made lever in bold and then said ‘you know what i mean’

Awesome, Larry Dallas, you groked me :) !

Also natural philosopher is not a philosopher.

Being good has nothing to do with being catchy. How many people still have the old Meow Mix jingle memorized? The chorus of “My Heart Will Go On”? The battle theme from FF7?

Hahah, well, I figured. Mainly, I just couldn’t remember exactly how to spell her name, and didn’t want to insult by asking…

…oh you son of a bitch!

Dun dun dun dadadadadadada dun dun dun dunn dunn dunnnn…

I guess I’m lucky as well. My wife is hardly a geek but we both park our laptops on the coffee table and when I’m watching a show she doesn’t like she’ll be head down in Cafe World and Facebook and when she’s watching something I’m not so keen on I’ll be mucking around in EVE Online or other game.

The only thing I have to mind is playing mutliplayer games. Being able to step away at a moments notice suits both me, and my wife (though sometimes I miss the good old days, eg, playing Ultima Online in a towel for 16 hours a day - 3 or 4 days straight during the early beta).

I also like to be next to her when I’m gaming… I think if I had to shuffle off to another room we’d both find it a bit annoying, at least in part because I would end up going there far too often. Laptop on the couch is a bit like methadone for a heroin addict?

She’s also very forgiving of me organising board gaming evening or afternoons and will join in on Rock Band or Wings of War, Bonanza or similar. She’s even been known to break out into cupcake baking while the boys are playing games she’s not keen on, sweet!

In terms of when she knew? Pretty quickly I guess, but my job is kind of geeky so she has to accept that me = geek = put food on the table. If I wasn’t a geek I wouldn’t be good at my job and she’d not enjoy the lifestyle we do, hehehe.

Those Who Fight Further, also known as More Fighting. As compared to Those Who Fight / Fighting, and J-E-N-O-V-A.

And they are fucking amazing.

I found myself randomly humming TWFF earlier today while studying Calculus. One of my friends turned to me and high-fived me, and then we sang it together for a bit.

Then we put the Black Mages on and rocked out, air guitaring to Nobuo Uematsu.

Make her watch Gamers: Dorkness Rising. If she rolls her eyes a lot instead of laughing, get rid of her.

This would be me, except substitute sushi or something homemade for pizza. I’m sorta seeing someone who knows that I am very seriously into games but likely doesn’t grasp how serious I mean. He had a PS3 slim before I met him and was sweet enough to buy NHL and a second controller (I’m also a hockey nut) so we could play together. I think bringing over Little Big Planet and Borderlands might help make things clearer. He’s not much of a hockey guy so playing NHL together was a bit of a wash.

I used to say that I’d never date anyone that only tolerated gaming, only those that have some appreciation for it. Then real life kicked in and we’ve got so many other interests that it’s not a huge deal… right now. I need to gradually get across how much I love this stuff without necessarily pointing out that his excellent movie and book collection is dwarfed by my gaming one. Let’s space out the crazy a little, eh. He survived watching Olympic hockey with me so it’s definitely time to bring games into the picture.

That sounds absolutely perfect, Jenn. I don’t see how any dude wouldn’t love that. Unless you’re a Leafs fan, that is.

Space out the crazy. Exactly.

Yeah, Jenn, that guy’s gotta be absolutely insane to not be okay with your gaming habits.

I have this awesome image of Jenn sheepishly pulling out borderlands from her purse, and he just stands up, and reaches underneath the couch, pulling out his copy of borderlands, and they just fall in love and get married, and Sledge is the priest who’s marrying them.

I think you just wrote the greatest gaming commercial EVER.

The Borderlands cell-shaded screenshot of their eyes meeting with their names in Guy Ritchie-sized letters emblazoned over their pic would be awesome. Nice call, G. :)

Is he riding a horse?

Stories like the ones in this thread are the reason I started the Second Date Kart Test. After Boy A begging me to not “talk geeky” in front of his friends, Boy B standing behind me making a puppy-dog face & shaking his car keys & begging me to go dancing when all I wanted to do was play the version of Kings Quest I remembered from childhood on an emulator I’d found and Boy C being late for a first date because he was in the middle of a raid, I decided the next guy needed to be the right level of geeky.

First date, we do whatever he wants to do. Assuming that goes well, second date I say “Hey how about we go to my place and play Mario Kart?” If he scoffs at my suggestion because he’s not into video games even on a Kart level, he’s going to quickly grow tired of me wanting to ditch him now and then to play WoW or Bioshock or whatever’s sucking up my time. If he scoffs at my suggestion because “Nintendo is for noobs zomg let me introduce you to this MMO”, he’s too much geek for me. If we go back to my place and I school him in Kart and then he lends me copies of PS2 games I missed (I haven’t dated in 5 years, ok?), then he’s a keeper.