Which iPhone X for you?

Or use your phone outside.

It would be thermal differences and very much relative, not static mappings. So theoretically how cold it is outside wouldn’t matter as long as your face didn’t become homogenous in terms of the heat map. Unless your entire face was frost bitten it should still be different in terms of heat distribution. Of course your body may actually start constricting blood differently based on the cold. Dunno. So that and sensor sensitivity or even capability would be the big questions.

A google shows FLIR sells an add on camera with it’s own lens for the iPhone so it’s highly doubtful the current onboard sensor would work for this, ah well.

I have that FLIR type sensor device for the iPhone (they also sell one for Android) and it is SUPER FUN. Highly recommended!

Yeah, it’s a fun toy. Neat to see cold and hotspots in your house and whatnot.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-to-curtail-iphone-x-production-in-the-face-of-weak-demand-1517312098

Nikkei is also reporting it separately.

Yep. I hope this news is real and it curtails the sharp upswing in pricing.

Anyone know how previous rumors worked out? Similar things were apparently reported for 7 (20%) and 6S (30%).

7 20% https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-to-slice-iPhone-production-10
6S 30% https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Parts-makers-brace-for-iPhone-production-cut

Oh I meant to mention, a larger iPhone X (iPhone X plus) in the next release was basically confirmed through reliable rumor mills @stusser.

Yeah, I’ll definitely be getting the X2+. Hell, I’ll probably buy the thousand dollar one 'cause YOLO.

I really like my X, but I would love it to be bigger.

Yeah it is a tad small.

The technological advancements are nearing the top part of the S curve. The price increases may be getting there too.

It’s hard to get through the echo chamber to separate the “what” from the speculation on the “why”, but I’ve heard it speculated that this isn’t about weak demand, but that the iPhone X will be one of the few—but not unprecedented—iPhone models that’s only in production for a single year. Come fall, it won’t just slide down the lineup in price and prestige and continue to be sold for a year or two, but be replaced entirely by something else.

That seems pretty odd. It defeats the entire economies of scale model that basically got Tim Cook his job.

I think the original iPhone and the iPhone 5 were each only produced for about a year. It doesn’t happen often, but it does happen, and it doesn’t sound crazy that it could happen with the iPhone X since it’s one of the biggest changes to the iPhone hardware in years. The almost edge-to-edge screen, the fact that it’s OLED, and the new FaceID hardware are all new for an iPhone. With that much new going on, it’s easy enough to imagine the current production process isn’t as streamlined or efficient as previous years phones, and even in just a year they could’ve learned enough to realize they want to produce these in a different way.

To be clear, I’m speculating here, but it doesn’t sound crazy at all.

That was my biggest concern with the X after using the Plus for so long but it turns out I just don’t really care about the increased size and really enjoy how it fits in my hand and pocket more. I don’t think the larger screen size lets me browse any more effectively. Or maybe it does and I just need to actually sit down and compare web sites. Hrm.

What I am sure of is I really, really like my new X. Just because of the timing I ended up ordering 5 of them for various members of the family and they all love it. Even the granola-hipster-stop-consuming-curmudgeon goes on about it.

I imagine any Plus would be greater than a thousand unless they really did sell poorly. Aren’t they both a thousand dollars? Oh, I see. One is $999.

Yeah, reports are that the current-generation X will stop production, largely because dropping its price by $100 wouldn’t exactly make it a “value choice”. Instead, there’ll be a new 6.1" LCD iPhone SE2 at the lower-end.

And also the OLED X2 5.8" and the OLED X2+ 6.5".

Still on an 6s+ and don’t have much reason to upgrade, but still likely in for an OLED x2+ just because it seems like the feature set has evolved to the point where it’s worthwhile.

I have a 6S+. I’ll probably replace it later this year, but I’m waiting on that rumored Surface Phone first.

Sounds like they sold 77m Xs. From initial reports it had been a spectacular release for them.

Edit: Correction, looks like 77m phones total, but the X sold twice as many as the 8.

Yeah, those reports about how the iPhone X was doing poorly were just a pile of crap. What amazes me about this quarter is that the average selling price (ASP) of the iPhone actually went up by $170 (to around $800!!!) due to the amount of iPhone Xs they sold. For years Apple has held the ASP of the iPhone steady at around $630. To increase it that much at this point in the iPhone’s lifecycle is mind-boggling.