Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG, CryEngine

In Beta I found a purple early on, but that might have just because it was beta (as in, they wanted to show that they existed).

Any Kickstarter backers that didn’t get their key earlier manage to get theirs now? I know there’s a lot going over there with the game but if like to try out this thing I bought.

I am about 4 hours in, and the next level of stuff is starting to drop. I am seeing a lot more gems slots too.

Good to know, thanks! I’m still in Act 1 I think, I just hit level 14 or so, and I was guessing/hoping it just builds and builds like anything else, but it’s nice to have a little confirmation there is cool/interesting stuff coming.

I am still in act 1 as well. In the dungeon, but I think I am close to the final boss.

Okay, so I just wanted a comparison to my experience with Grim Dawn (a game I really like, btw). It’s a bit apples to oranges because there are 90 skill points compared to 50 devotion points, but choices early on in Grim Dawn aren’t all that exciting either. Yes, things definitely start coming together, but by the time I kill the Warden at the end of Grim Dawn’s first act, I usually have something like… maybe 5-6 devotion points? Lets say it’s enough to complete one starter constellation of choice.

If I go Tsunami to focus on ice/lightning damage, this is what I unlocked:

• +28 defensive ability
  • +39% lightning/cold damage
  • +15 spirit
  • 35% tsunami proc on a given skill

My current character, an archer-ish type, is L14 and still has a little ways to go in Act 1. This is what I’ve unlocked so far:

• +42% projectile damage
  • +30% projectile speed
  • +60% attack speed
  • +6% movement speed
  • +18% damage
  • +16% crit
  • All projectiles pierce one target
  • Projectiles do up to +175% damage at a range of 15m, diminishing as the targets get closer.
  • Some stat boosts (+25 agility for more attack speed, +25 toughness for some tank)

Grim Dawn also gives you skill points to unlock abilities via Mastery or boost certain abilities. In Wolcen, skills level up individually and you get points to spend on them. I’ve done things like add a second projectile to Fireball (consuming embers) and increased it’s blast radius substantially. Havoc Orb was a mortar-like attack that I’ve converted to firing rockets (which due to my passives are able to pierce enemies). I’ve also added a shrapnel-like effect on it that bleeds everything caught in the blast.

I feel like my choices have had a stronger impact at this point of the game than it did at a similar point in Grim Dawn (which again is a game I really like), so I’m a little surprised you’ve found it to be the opposite!

EDIT: Oh no, I hope this doesn’t sound argumentative or anything? I really hope I didn’t come across that way. I just wanted to put numbers/data to my “feel” for both games and kind of compare notes, that was all. Hopefully I came across with the right tone. :)

It’s probably because I know the ins and outs of GD and I know what I am doing. I am really early in this game and don’t know what I am doing, so I probably shouldn’t be too harsh on it. I have no plan for my current character. That’s not helping.

I still only have 2 caster skills in 4 hours of play though. Out of 10 skills. The game isn’t giving me much to work with in that area.

Are you checking the merchant on the right-side of the town plaza? She sells a collection of 12ish skills every time you visit. Or is it just bad luck in what she’s offering?

EDIT: Also, make sure you sell any extra Enerracts(sp?) you find to her as she gives you Primordial Affinity or whatever it’s called. You can use it to level up skills you do like, as well as respect your passive tree.

No, I have been saving my money. I only checked once, she had the 2 skills I already had. Good point, I should be checking more.

You dont have to sell the skill to her, you can just use it. If you already have the skill you’ll get the primordial instead of the skill.
Save some precious inventory spot. Some rare skill are worth 100 primordial, and I never saw those for sale.

Yeah, thanks for the clarification. I should have worded it as “extra levels”. It’s been nice to turbo charge my main attack skills.

I hit the act 2 boss last night and that was quite nuts. Honestly the boss fights can be annoying but they sure as hell aren’t boring.

I’ve definitely had inventory lag where tool tips don’t show up and have to click on an empty spot or something to fix it, loot targeting issues on the ground a few others, but nothing crazy.

I also wish they’d add full text pop up on mouse over for loot on the ground and I wish there was a non magic movement skill. I’ve been building for 2h weapon smashing and I can’t use any of the fun stuff to get around quicker.

Still really enjoying it though.

What about spacebar dash?

If you are still struggling, switch to pistol and catalyst. Grab Livor Mortis. Win.

That dash kind of feels like it should be used for combat to me, and especially since my build is a damage dump without a lot of defense options.

And from a feel perspective it just doesn’t scratch the same itch for me.

I have been creating new character s and trying skills since then but that is good advice. I also read somewhere that you should dodge towards him instead of away from him and that sounds like good advice too.

I finished a little mini dungeon today at level 4 and had my choice of 4 legendary items.

I think I’m getting really terrible RNG rolls. I was stuck (at what ended up being a bug) so I watched someone else play and while he was level 28 to my level 25, he had 2 purple and 3 legendary items equipped and I’ve only gotten 1 legendary (from a quest) and 1 purple (from a chest - it’s a cool shield but I’m going mage). Sort of a bummer.

It’s definitely RNG, @Scotch_Lufkin. I hit a selection shrine in the first zone and was offered a choice of legendaries. So I got a level for legendary staff.

And my game just froze because I think they pushed out a patch… Looks like online mode is working for those who want it… maybe I spoke too soon… I was online in town and the game just booted me back to the title screen. Perhaps everyone is hitting the servers at the same time again or something.

If anyone else is an incompetent on this game as I am, I found this video very helpful.