Xcom 2

Now that you mention it, he still seems super chatty with the “we have to move fast” and the “everyone’s getting slaughtered here” warnings, despite my having the mod installed.

Commander! Get off the dorkboard and get back in the game! We’re losing ground here, fast!

I have, if I recall, stop wasting my time, hush chosen (?) and quiet bradford. Or something. They stopped working a while ago. The mod creators said that they were stopping updates. I guess I understand that. But I don’t have to like it.

The keyboard mute does help.
It actually seems that he talks a lot more now. And the chosen. I go after them early just to shut them up. I have a pretty good strategy for their bases now. They made me do it. :)

Yeah, but nobody means that when they discuss ownership in the context of subscription models vs Steam vs GOG, and everyone understands the nomenclature.

The colloquial “owning a video game” is the same for Steam or GOG or any other store, you pay a one-time fee for a license, tied to a user account, to download, install, and run the game. GOG is DRM free, so they only check account is licensed when you download an installer and that’s good, but it’s still fundamentally the same sort of ownership-but-not-really you get from Steam.

And I don’t understand why anyone would want to mute Bradford. Without him we wouldn’t know whether or not the aliens are making progress on the Avater Project.

While it’s been awhile since I ran a campaign in this one I seem to recall there’s visual tracking on the avatar progress showing how many pips there are in it. It’s one of the things I enjoy seeing go down when I come out of a mission I know will reduce it.

As for Bradford, there’s nothing he says I find of use and hearing him say the same thing dozens of times certainly doesn’t improve it.

Hundreds. Thousands? According to Steam I have over 800 hours in the game. I think they’re off by about 200 hours. I have had enough Bradford.

There is a possibility I wasn’t being serious.

Agreed!

Steam doesn’t have to go out of business, or “become evil,” to change my relationship with them in a way I don’t like. All they have to do is shift their business model in a way that doesn’t align with my life. Or be bought by somebody bigger who does. Is it likely? I dunno. I definitely didn’t see Microsoft buying Activision. Anyone who did had a chance to be richer than their wildest dreams off stock options from that overnight $20 jump.

So, none of us knows anything about the future. But with GOG, I don’t need to know.

If the word “own” triggers you, sub in this new word I made up: GLORP. It means “own, for all intents and purposes.” And with GOG, I GLORP my games.

Well played then. ;)

It does raise a mild complaint I have about games w/ high replay, as it seems like a missed opportunity by devs to record more than one take for what an NPC like Bradford says.

I got the joke. But I still felt like beating this dead horse over here. It’s name was Bradford, poor thing.

Anybody need a dozen hair triggers?

Multiple, detailed voiceover is part of what made Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 so compelling. It kept the game fresh and entertaining – it felt like you were constantly hearing new or fresh things from the characters even after multiple plays.

Relatively speaking, v/o is super-cheap to capture and implement. You just have to do good writing up front.

Seems insane that a game like this can be the Epic freebie. What a world :)

I haven’t checked, but I assume it’s just the base game, right? That is great for the dozens of people who don’t have it yet. ;-)

It doesn’t really say, but has that been their model with freebies? Give away the base game, and then hope everyone buys the DLC?

Very recently base Xcom 2 was on sale for 3€ on Steam, so I don’t think being a free give-away is that crazy.

I just want to live in a world in which XCOM has been successful enough to a) keep the team working on cool stuff and b) inspire further investment in similar projects.

3 is released.

Without microtransactions, season passes, or a battle royale mode.