Your next car game is Wreckfest

Console launch delayed from November to sometime in 2019.

If you don’t have this (Like me) it’s on sale on Steam for 50% off ($22)!

Tempted.

It’s the only driving game that’s felt good with a controller for me. For pretty much ever going back to the original Gran Turismo. I’d recently tried FH4 using the Xbox pass and while it was ok i certainly felt the lack of a wheel to be much more noticeable than with Wreckfest. I’m sure that driving super cars from the get-go In Horizon made the controller more noticeable than the stock cars in WF. But there speed felt right in WF and using a controller felt pretty natural. And cutting inside a turn to bump and grind with your rival in a 90s Volvo wagon while chunks of car fly off is awesome. And the music is perfect. The cars have a weight to them that even Horizon seemed to be lacking and while I’m not a driving game aficionado I believe the horizon series is considered top notch.

Again, the music is amazing and fits the game perfectly. Hair band to metal, it all works. Not sure what was playing in the lawnmower demolition though. I’ll have to recheck that one.

This is a great, greatly fun game and you should buy it if you have any interest in this space. The racing is surprisingly good for a game where you’d think the focus was on the smashy-smashy, there are a lot of mods and the online racing is healthy enough to find an active server and has tier limits so you won’t be completely blown away when you’re in your starter car.

Plus you can put a giant sawblade on your car.

There’s also some strategy in car building. I like to run on the “C” class servers, so I built my starting car, (Rocket), up to the edge of the rating limits for that class with my early winnings from career and online racing.

Then I bought the Rammer and upgraded that a bit which lifted it into the “B” class. I then began strapping steel reinforcements to it, which had the double effect of making it very strong and able to survive contact and degrading its overall speed/acceleration rating enough that it fell back into “C” class.

Now I have an all-rounder car to run in regular races and a stronger, slower beast to run in derbies or on figure-8 tracks.

Badly, sorely tempted, but friday is MiG day, and that takes precedence.

The console versions launch on August 27th. There’s a season pass for consoles, but nothing like it has been announced on PC. The PC does get an update on August 27th that includes 3 more tracks, 3 vehicles, additional paint jobs, and events.

This guy was too focused on the “over” part of overtaking.

That’s so cool. I love Wreckfest so much!

-Tom

I got this recently for use with a racing wheel, and I found the cars horrible to control. Is it significantly better with gamepad?

Also, I have very fond memories of sleepovers at friends houses playing Destruction Derby on Nintendo 64 till quarter to three.

I think it’s fine with a wheel provided you shorten the rotation so you’re not trying to use 900 degrees or something, but I play it almost exclusively with an XBox controller.

iRacing Rookie Mazdas prepared me for this.

What platform are you all playing this on?

Steam here.

If anyone is interested in a bash at multiplayer Wreckfest with a friendly bunch then we have a session kicking off at 4pm Eastern today that’ll run for a couple hours. Intended to be Eurozone friendly for timing if not ping as the server is on the US west coast.

We aim to race first and smash cars second, but with figure-eight tracks and bow-tie tracks there are always shenanigans. Mostly it’s a couple hours of swearing and laughing.

If you’re on the GamersWithJobs.com Discord you can already find the event link in the #racing channel - if not you can PM me and I can link you.

You don’t have to be on voice, it’s just easier to find the right server and to get us to kick a pubbie to make room for you if it’s full. Feel free to drop in and/or out too - you don’t have to be there the whole time.

We had 15 racers last weeked - we’ll see if making the time a bit more Euro friendly means more or fewer drivers.

This is $15 on Humble right now, too

I just installed on my new rig and my lord the carnage. Still one of the best grin inducing games of all time.

Just a taste of madness…

I mess that freaking turn up every time. That track is my cypronite. You can see me cartwheel to the left in that clip. ;) Good times. Wasn’t feeling so great but it’s such a silly time that I didn’t want to miss it.