Nintendo Switch

I use my switch all the time and would probably buy a smaller one for more comfy commmutes. As long as I can seamlessly move between them.

Iā€™m still holding out hope for a spec bumped version. Iā€™d love a bigger 1080p screen with smaller bezel with a processor capable of driving it. Also better battery life. Also a pony.

Smaller bezels (with a correspondingly smaller overall size, not a larger screen), less weight, and better battery life would all be great improvements. The SoC inside is 2015 technology, so that is totally possible.

The Switch isnā€™t competitive on graphics and thatā€™s OK. They should embrace what makes it special and focus on reducing cost of production and pricing.

I want no bezel and that extra space used to increase the size of the screen, though not resolution. I can barely read the text in D3. Which granted that particularly title leaves a lot of room for improvement just by fixing the UI to be more consolish, but I doubt they will ever bother. So, larger screen please.

The semi mobile form factor of the Switch is what I like, for 100% portability I have my phone.

Wonder how much smaller it can go and still run as well as OG Switch? Because I donā€™t think they would want a lower performance level at all.

Bet there will be a Switch mini dock sold separately, because the original dock wouldnā€™t work.

If they switched the err, Switch to the Tegra X2 SoC, they could either cut baseline power usage in half from 15w to 7.5w or increase performance by roughly 50%. The X2 is a 2016 part, 16nm process.

There is no real Tegra X3, as Xavier is designed for autonomic drive applications, but if they die-shrunk the X2 to 12nm that would allow for another large improvement in either power draw/heat or clockspeed.

That would makes sense. Interesting, a die shrunk chip but one clocking the same speed. It would run cooler, so maybe no fan needed? And maybe even better battery life as well.

Yes, thatā€™s the typical tradeoff from a die shrink. You can either reduce power consumption or increase clockspeed, or a mix of the two.

And of course 12nm is 2017/18 technology, in 2019/20 7nm will ramp up. Right now itā€™s just Apple.

After just 2 months of fairly regular Diablo/Mario use Iā€™m afraid my left joystick is starting to lag and not registering movement. Very disappointed.

I expect they will die shrink the current chip rather than moving to something else in nVidiaā€™s portfolio. Theyā€™ll be able to fix the hardware exploit at the chip level at that time and improve battery life, allow for a smaller device, etc, all at once. A mobile only device will allow them to use chips that canā€™t run at the higher clock speeds required for docked mode, and they can save a lot of space by eliminating the removable controllers and ā€œHD Rumbleā€. Will allow for a decent clamshell design with a real D-padā€¦

I think people who play mobile only are crazy, but Iā€™m not sure if they are more or less crazy than the people who only play docked.

If youā€™ve calibrated and it still happens, call Nintendo and just get it fixed. Both of mine got drift disease.

I donā€™t see why they wouldnā€™t move to the X2. Itā€™s already built at a smaller process and has other IPC improvements too, being built on Pascal rather than Maxwell.

What is going on here? I like the Switch.

Jeeeeesus, I seriously underestimated how great it would be to have Diablo III on the train ride to work. Iā€™ve always liked Nintendo but Iā€™m a PC gamer at heart so having this game in my backpack is just transformative. They should market it as a time travel/teleportation device. Like the phenomenon that gave our favorite forum its name! Iā€™m legitimately bummed itā€™s the weekend and I wonā€™t be able to commute with Diablo until Monday. Only downside is I reckon itā€™s a matter of weeks if not days before I miss my stop.

This is why I love the Switch and feel the folks that say, ā€œā€¦but Iā€™m not into Nintendo IPsā€ are totally missing the freaking point. I play a magnitude more of PC or indy titles than and any Nintendo stuff. Heck, a lot of it I already played on PC such as Diablo. The freedom of portable and docked play on the same saves with pause anywhere, any time is just amazing. Itā€™s definitely not a Nintendo box.

Because it was on sale, my attention was brought to the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star, a switch exclusive.
Itā€™s amazing: the in-game docs is easily accessible and make navigating the game a blast without owning the physical manual, there is a nifty automap, and the ā€œAgesā€ mode cut off all the grind out of the game while not making it too easy.
You can select what language and what version to play (obviously FM or PSG soundtracks, but even the original Katakana version or the fixed Hiranaga one), you can ask to double the walking speed ā€” I am really looking forward to that in an eventual Phantasy Star 2 Sega Ages version.
Finally it features an animated gallery of the monsters.
Itā€™s such a work of love, it is the best homage to that amazing game that was ever done. I donā€™t understand why it isnā€™t available more widely.

Reading up on other people who have had drift issues with the controllers, I went and bought a $10 can of compressed air and gave it a spray - problem fixed.

I tried the demo (itā€™s available on the Japanese store front), and itā€™s a massive disappointment for me. Loading times are horrenduous, especially given the very poor, amateurish 2D art on display.
The first game is treated as a bonus, as has been the case in previous remakes, recycling assets from Langrisser 2. On top of that, the game itself has changed, and not for the better: numbers are flying around for no real reason as the game is the easiest version I ever played (I doubt itā€™s for the demo only).
Frankly, the whole thing reeks of a second rate doujin effort.

Nintendo Direct tomorrow. Should cover some interesting things, including a look at the new Fire Emblem game.